No heat and flapping noise from dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No heat and flapping noise from dash

2000 Acura TL
I've been having issues with no heat in the mornings. Even if I leave the car on for 15+ minutes in the driveway the air still blows cold. Only time I can get the heat on is if I start driving and turn the heat on and off a bunch until it finally decides to blow hot. I've also noticed a sound coming from the dash when I accelerate, it sounds like a flap is being flung open and bouncing a few times. I've heard the same exact flapping sound when I turn the heat on mid drive and it decided to blow hot.

I've looked a the passenger side air mix motor from the DIY on here and there were no teeth missing on it and I don't hear the clicking sound that some people hear. I've blasted the little lever to the heater core with WD-40 and cleaned it up but I still got the issue.

Hoping someone has had the same issue or knows what the sound is and can help me out.
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2020, 08:46 PM
Cruisin'

I'm back with some more details. I got lucky and the heat was working all week until yesterday. On the drive home the heat never came on until I banged on the dashboard lol then it came on. Then this morning there was no heat at all even after banging the dash. Starting to think it might actually be the blend door now and maybe I installed it wrong.

Here's a vid of me turning the temp from 60 to 90. There's an audible click at around 5 seconds when the white arm stops moving. You can also see the blend motor shift a little when you hear the click. Makes me think it's crashing into the actuator, Then at around 9 secs you can see another white arm swing in with a little knob on it. The little knob on top doesn't seem to be attached to anything so I think I must've been an idiot and installed it back wrong. Let me know what you guys think. Can't have a broken heater with 30 degree mornings lol.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:48 AM
6th Gear

Hitting the glove box only works for so long...I lasted about a year doing so though!
Old 11-24-2020, 12:54 AM
6th Gear

Lightbulb

My fix was locating the circuit board/ connector part under the glove box. Stick your head under the glove box and look up for a green board/ box..... You will most likely find corrosion etc on the connectors/wires and may look warped and burnt out...mine was (is) in bad shape however a little cleaning up the connection and reinstalling has lasted so far another 1.5 years and counting. (Please excuse my lack of terminology used here, i really do have experience working on cars with my father).

Last edited by nerdyeng; 11-24-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nerdyeng
My fix was locating the circuit board/ connector part under the glove box. Stick your head under the glove box and look up for a green board/ box..... You will most likely find corrosion etc on the connectors/wires and may look warped and burnt out...mine was (is) in bad shape however a little cleaning up the connection and reinstalling has lasted so far another 1.5 years and counting. (Please excuse my lack of terminology used here, i really do have experience working on cars with my father).
Yeah I got that far and I’m pretty sure my mix motor / green box is either broken or I just didn’t install it right. For now I just removed it and manually moved the arm into the open position so I always have max heat lol. It’s fine for now since it’s cold but I’ll eventually try and reinstall it correctly and/or get a replacement unit.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:03 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GenErik
Yeah I got that far and I’m pretty sure my mix motor / green box is either broken or I just didn’t install it right. For now I just removed it and manually moved the arm into the open position so I always have max heat lol. It’s fine for now since it’s cold but I’ll eventually try and reinstall it correctly and/or get a replacement unit.
My apologies this is what I was referring to (link below) and it’s not a green box I don’t know what I was thinking. it’s just the resistor that continuously loosens up and corrodes overtime

https://joshsworld.com/cars/acura-tl...d-working-fix/