No Dash or Parking lights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:43 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry No Dash or Parking lights!!!

I replaced my factory Acura radio in my 2000 TL this past weekend. Everything was pretty simple, or so I thought. When I switched on my headlights later that evening, I realized I had NO dash or parking lights, only headlights! I took everything out and checked my wiring and it all checked out. I even put the factory system back in and the lights still didn't work! I checked the fuses yesterday and found nothing wrong! Has anyone else had any wierd problems like this before or can you give me some advice? I am trying to avoid taking it to the dealership and looking completely incompetent! Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
To me it sounds like a fuse is blown...I would check all the fuses again, even ones that you wouldn't think have anything to do with the lights just to be safe. And make sure that the wiring on your headunit doesn't have any wires exposed. Everything should be taped off even if you are not using the wire because it has the potential to make contact with metal and short out again. Something I've seen with aftermarket installs with tons of friends. That's the only thing I can think.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:53 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by snowman81
To me it sounds like a fuse is blown...I would check all the fuses again, even ones that you wouldn't think have anything to do with the lights just to be safe. And make sure that the wiring on your headunit doesn't have any wires exposed. Everything should be taped off even if you are not using the wire because it has the potential to make contact with metal and short out again. Something I've seen with aftermarket installs with tons of friends. That's the only thing I can think.
Thanks. I'll check it again tonight.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:58 PM
4th Gear

OK. The parking lights are now working. It was the 15 amp "small light" fuse under the hood. I still cannot figure out why the dash lights still aren't working. I checked the dimmer and the fuse so I am guessing it must have something to do with the dimmer or illumination wires that were in the wiring harness for the radio. Both are taped off separately along with the blue remote wire. There were no corresponding wires on the factory harness from the car unless you consider the steering wheel audio control harness which is no longer plugged in because it work work with aftermarket equipment. Does anyone know if this could be the problem? Thanks for the help snowman!
Old 04-21-2006, 08:09 AM
4th Gear

It's fixed!!!!!!!!!! I had to ground the dash illumination light wire to the ground wire..duh!!
Had I known the 6 disc changer for the 2003 TL was adaptable, I would have gone that route! Acura told me it wouldn't work! Oh well, it's fixed now! Thanks for the help!
The following users liked this post:
w0nd3rlusTL (08-19-2012)
Old 01-22-2007, 01:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lights out!

Thank you so much for responding to Acurazine. It is so important that we share our knowledge with one another.

I installed a new cd player and lost my parking, interior dash lights as well. Back and forth through the manual did not help. I was certain that it was a fuse, but could not find a reference to ANY of these lights in the manual.

I went so far as going to TWO acura dealers and left with no answers. Leave your car here and for 99 dollars, we will have a look and try to figure it out. I said, "if you cannot tell me what is wrong, then what chance do I have?".

I had gone through my fuse boxes... yes, all 4 of them and did not clearly see a blown fuse.

I came to this website and put in my problem and found another with the same problem.

Reading through a response that another had sent in, I double checked the "Little Light" fuse. Sure enough, it was bad, but didn't look bad. I know this, becuase when I replaced it, my lights were lite again.

Who knew that "little light" is the reference to parking, rear, instrument cluster, shitfer and dash lights are refered to "little light".

If your really think about it, it does make some sense. Here in North America, we do not use this reference.

Thanks again!
The following 2 users liked this post by Canbehr:
Tiffani M Smith (07-14-2021), TL_kidd (08-18-2011)
Old 07-21-2007, 12:29 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Small light"

After connecting my trailer T-connector, I lost my instrumental panel, parking lights. Checked all fuses inside the car and didn't find that were blown. Was running out of ideas until I found this thread. Checked the "Small light" fuse in the engine compartment and sure enough it was blown. Thank you all for your support and don't forget to share your solutions!
Old 07-21-2007, 12:31 AM
3rd Gear

"Small light"

After connecting my trailer T-connector, I lost my instrumental panel, parking lights. Checked all fuses inside the car and didn't find any that were blown. Was running out of ideas until I found this thread. Checked the "Small light" fuse in the engine compartment and sure enough it was blown. Thank you all for your support and don't forget to share your solutions!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 AM
9th Gear

my dash lights don't work when i turn my headlights on. i recently installed a new radio, etc. - same story, i checked my wires, checked my fuses, but when i turn the headlights on my dash lights don't work.

bhawk - for some reason i can't PM - you said that you grounded the dash illumination wire? can you still control the brightness? where did you grab the wire?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:01 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks to this forum I found the fuse - even though my meter said it was good, I pulled it and visually inspected it. BLOWN!

all fixed now! I installed an after market HU and left the dimmer wire exposed on accident - thats what blew that fuse.

thanks AcuraZine!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

Bhawkins...I have the same problem on MDX...Can you please tell me where the fuse box is....so that i can change it..also..?

thanks,,
Old 10-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

same shit is happing with my 1997 cl what is it?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just picked up my '99 CL today, love it! Went for drive tonight but can't see the needles on the gauges...the blue backlight works but nothing lighting up the front. Clues, anyone??
TIA