No airflow from vents

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015 | 07:10 AM
Intermediate

No airflow from vents

Hey guys,

Winter is around the corner and very little airflow is coming out of the vents.

About 2 weeks ago my heater stopped working. After checking the DIY threads, I replaced the blower motor because the socket where you hook up to the harness was melting. I also changed the resistor because it was pretty corroded.

End result, the fan is working great and I know the heat works because the car does eventually warm up. The problem is that 90% of the air is getting lost somewhere. No clue where. I've checked the cabin filter. That's not the problem. I've tried prying into the air box which houses the blower motor. No blockages that I could see or reach.

When I change the modes (I.e. air to feet or face or windshield) I can hear the mechanism moving but the air doesn't get redirected to the desired area. Probably because virtually no air is coming out of the vents.

I am baffled as to where the air is going because the fan is blowing air like a champ.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 10-26-2015 | 10:47 AM
Pro

Turn your key on and press and hold Auto, then off and hold both down at the same time on your climate controls. '88' should flash - let us know which segment of the '88' remains on between flashes.

Use this pic as a reference.

EDIT: I've heard that some incorrect blower motors run backward - you might have one of these. You might possibly be able to try removing the blower motor connector and use jumper wires to reverse the connection and get the motor to spin the other way. Of course if you decide to try doing this, do it at your own risk. If you get airflow after doing this then you'll need to replace your motor.

If you're losing air somewhere then maybe it's blowing out the vent in front of your windshield

Last edited by Chojun; 10-26-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2015 | 11:08 AM
Team Owner

see the diy section, the air mix motor gets messed up and wont open the divertor plate correctly
Old 11-01-2015 | 07:21 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for your posts guys. It appears that the mechanic switched the wires from the harness to the new motor, which resulted in the fan spinning the wrong way. I have rectified the mistake and all is well.

Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2015 | 10:15 AM
Team Owner

thats more common that you would think! Mostly with a diy and aftermarket part...
Old 09-09-2020 | 10:27 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Chojun
Turn your key on and press and hold Auto, then off and hold both down at the same time on your climate controls. '88' should flash - let us know which segment of the '88' remains on between flashes.

Use this pic as a reference.

EDIT: I've heard that some incorrect blower motors run backward - you might have one of these. You might possibly be able to try removing the blower motor connector and use jumper wires to reverse the connection and get the motor to spin the other way. Of course if you decide to try doing this, do it at your own risk. If you get airflow after doing this then you'll need to replace your motor.

If you're losing air somewhere then maybe it's blowing out the vent in front of your windshield
My issue is the same as mentioned above. The motor running in the other direction baffles me. I don't understand how a dc motor would reverse polarity. However this issue did start rather sudden. Your suggestion makes sense that the motor would be running backwards because of the volume of air that seems to be going some where but not.out of the vents.
Old 09-10-2020 | 09:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Justin Case
My issue is the same as mentioned above. The motor running in the other direction baffles me. I don't understand how a dc motor would reverse polarity. However this issue did start rather sudden. Your suggestion makes sense that the motor would be running backwards because of the volume of air that seems to be going some where but not.out of the vents.
Wicked old thread, but the OP solved their problem with how the motor became reversed.
Originally Posted by ImperialTL
Thanks for your posts guys. It appears that the mechanic switched the wires from the harness to the new motor, which resulted in the fan spinning the wrong way. I have rectified the mistake and all is well.

Thanks again.
Justin Case, check your hood vents for reversed airflow to see if you have a similar situation to what was addressed here and maybe bring that info (maybe even link this thread) to your more recent thread for more eyeballs. Good Luck
Old 09-10-2020 | 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Justin Case
If it's a brushed motor, then reversing the wires would reverse the direction of the blower.