New to the Acura

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007 | 11:57 AM
1st Gear

New to the Acura

First let me say hello to all. My first time posting on the forum and, as you will be able to tell shortly, I know little to nothing about Acuras! In fact, it's closer to nothing! My girlfriend's car is ALWAYS going to the shop which is why I'm here (her car). She's pretty stereotypical when it comes to vehicle upkeep. I'm not sure she changes the oil regularly , or has it serviced unless it somehow stops running .

About me: I own a 98 BMW 5-Series and a motorcycle (soon to be traded for another BMW?). I have rebuilt three cars in the past including a Jeep and some other domestics. I'm working on little things with the BMW but I'm pretty retarded when it comes to everything else!

So, here's a list of things I noticed while driving it (it being a 2001 TL 3.2). I'm going to lend her my BMW while either myself or another mechanic looks into the car.

When it's been raining and you brake at around 40-50 mph, the front end shakes to hell and back! You can feel it in the steering wheel. I'm thinking either something in the steering or, I hope, it's just warped rotors.

She also told me the last time she took it in, the car was pretty much doin' the sputter thing and then died. The mechanic told her it needed new plugs. A new set of plugs and wires later, the car is still randomly jacked up and I'm not really sure what to do with that. I was thinking someone on here may know something about the history of this car in general and be able to discuss it with me.

I would imagine the mileage is getting high and it's in need of some service. What things do most of you all do when you get around 80-100K?

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 01-28-2007 | 12:07 PM

its warped rotors, go aftermarket and ditch the OEM's because they will keep on warping.

also you might have a clogged EGR. a quick search will bring up a bunch of threads about how to DIY.