Need some help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:34 AM
Put the shoes back on in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need some help!!

Some times when I step on the gas, I get a "stutter" in the throttle response. Almost like I decide to let off of the gas for a split second and then go, doesn't happen every day, but it happens enough. When I start cold or even when I have been running errands long enough for the engine to fully warm up, even when I stop at a stop sign and start to go. It just seems to have a "stutter" and I can't figure it out.

I've ran fuel system cleaners, seafoam'd the gas and the intake manifold a few times. No check engine light, no codes thrown. I sucked up water about 6 years ago (cold air intake) and since have changed spark plugs and coil packs. I thought I had the problem taken care of but it seems to be coming back around. What do you guys suggest could be wrong and a possible fix? Fuel injectors? Fuel pump?

I have a 2003 tl-s, 186,xxx/188,xxx.

Help me out world of knowledge out there!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
sounds like time to remove the intake manifold and clean the entire EGR passage and ports system located inside the manifold
Also clean/service the TB and IACV inside TB while its off the car
Lube throttle cables and return springs

replace your PCV valve too- good plan at this miles/age $20 at dealer
not directly related to your problem but came to mind as I was typing

6 years? how many miles on the spark plugs, may be ready for new NGK $8 each units
good for about 70kmiles, regardless of what the book says
The following users liked this post:
Ramojr (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 04:00 AM
Put the shoes back on in

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
sounds like time to remove the intake manifold and clean the entire EGR passage and ports system located inside the manifold
Also clean/service the TB and IACV inside TB while its off the car
Lube throttle cables and return springs

replace your PCV valve too- good plan at this miles/age $20 at dealer
not directly related to your problem but came to mind as I was typing

6 years? how many miles on the spark plugs, may be ready for new NGK $8 each units
good for about 70kmiles, regardless of what the book says
I was hoping you'd reply! Thank you for the assistance.

I have about 10k-20k on the plugs..changed out the plugs and coil packs early last year. NGK Iridiums, not adjusted. Straight out of the box into my engine.

About the EGR, TB and IACV.. What can I expect to get from my local auto store to do all of this correctly? I don't have an air compressor, so I know that I won't be able to blow anything out.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
When you say "stutter", does the car hesitate and shake, or is it a single event, like stepping on the gas with no or very little acceleration?
Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

for the cleaning jobs you need a torque wrench for tightening the intake manifold bolts correctly- very important

a new TB to manifold gasket, an IACV `COVER` gasket (in case it breaks), 3 cans carb cleaner and a wire coat hanger
Can be done without a compressor
The following users liked this post:
Ramojr (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 02:13 AM
Put the shoes back on in

Originally Posted by TLer trash
When you say "stutter", does the car hesitate and shake, or is it a single event, like stepping on the gas with no or very little acceleration?
It's like no acceleration when I step on the gas, sometimes its when I'm pulling out in traffic. Starts to go and then "stutters" for a second or 2 and then it goes just fine. Like I said before, doesn't happen everyday, but more so recently. Hopefully the cleaning will cure the ails.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
for the cleaning jobs you need a torque wrench for tightening the intake manifold bolts correctly- very important

a new TB to manifold gasket, an IACV `COVER` gasket (in case it breaks), 3 cans carb cleaner and a wire coat hanger
Can be done without a compressor
Looks like I have a weekend project ahead of me. Thank you for the information!! What should I torque to?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Team Owner

see diy for correct loosen and tighten order- its important!
spec on main bolts for manifold is 14-16 foot pounds

note. NEVER adjust ngk iridium or platinum plugs electrode tip
you will only damage them,
If the cardboard cover is around the end- all is well

of course 1 in a million will have a problem but you will see it compared to the other new plugs and go exchange, not mess with it