Need Help with License Plate Light Connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:00 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with License Plate Light Connection

OK, long story short my car failed VA inspection, among other minor easily fixed things, for a license plate light that is not lit.

Obviously, I changed the bulb. It was to no avail.

So I read the service manual and see there is a connection between the bumper and bumper cover leading to the 2-wire harness that leads to the bulb socket. I popped the bumper cover off to find the connection somewhat smashed. One wire (red) was missing the quick disconnect and had some green copper corrosion on the end. The negative lead was still intact but was easily pulled from the coupling.

So my question is, does anyone know the proper size of female quick disconnect I should order in order to get the coupling repaired? I was just going to replace both at once. Seems simple, just cut the wires back, crimp new disconnectors, stick them back in the coupling and wrap with 33+ tape for insulation and it should work.

I'm thinking something from this page: http://www.waytekwire.com/products/?...30&pageSize=36

If anyone knows the exact size so I don't have to break out my dial calipers I'd be happy to know! Thanks!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Just cut off the old connector ends and splice in new ones.
A salvage yard will have everything ya need or ya can fabricate something on the fly.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:52 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Just cut off the old connector ends and splice in new ones.
A salvage yard will have everything ya need or ya can fabricate something on the fly.
The problem is a salvage yard isn't a sure bet, and time is an issue. I need to get this resolved in the next 7 days to pass inspection. Unfortunately, I am moving tomorrow an have ZERO time to mess with this during the weekend.

I think what I'll do is measure the good lead and order what's closest and hope for the best. Worst case I'll be spending next Saturday at the salvage yard as you said. I appreciate your input, I'm just hoping someone pops in to say "oh yeah X/Y/Z part is EXACTLY what you need"