Nasty spark plug wells and coils

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nasty spark plug wells and coils

2000 TL 160k miles. EGR was also cleaned this week and the port itself was fairly clean but the rest was pretty gunked up.
I was getting missfires on 1-2 year old coils and plugs so I decided to pop them out and found that the coils were really dirty and looked rusty. Not sure if this is oil or not so I'd like to know what you guys think.
The coils were A LOT dirtier than in the pictures but I wiped them down before I thought about posting here. Also 2 of the plugs were a bit loose but the rest seemed fine.

These are the coils and spark plug wells from the front. Only one coil on the back was as bad as the front ones.

Here's the plugs from the front.

The coils on the back were not as dirty and the plugs on the back were also a lot less black. Here's a pic of the plugs from the back.

Also btw the plugs were Bosch. I have new NGKs coming in tomorrow as well as new coils. The coils were ripping and turning inside out as I took them out.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

Can't figure out how to delete the thread but it's pretty obvious to me now that I have bad valve cover gaskets.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:48 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by GenErik
Can't figure out how to delete the thread but it's pretty obvious to me now that I have bad valve cover gaskets.
I would also recommend getting rid of those Bosch spark plugs and get some NGK Laser Platinums since that’s what the car came with from factory. Lots of people complaining that Bosch plugs fowl quickly on these cars.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
You can clean all of that up really nicely with some superclean and a scrub brush (bathroom type for large parts and toothbrush for small crevices). All can be had from Walmart for a very reasonable price.

Not to mention: if you are planning on replacing the valve cover gaskets, I would recommend to also replace the sparkplug, valve cover bolt seals as those all are very difficult to get off because you have to remove the intake manifold to do so.

AND...since you are taking off the intake manifold; you might as well do the EGR cleaning; you can pick up all the supplies (throttle body cleaner) from walmart for about $3/can as well.

It will run and look like new once done and makes a very nice weekend project.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Darksyne
I would also recommend getting rid of those Bosch spark plugs and get some NGK Laser Platinums since that’s what the car came with from factory. Lots of people complaining that Bosch plugs fowl quickly on these cars.
Yeah the bosch came with a 7 year warranty so I just traded them out for NGKs at Oriley's for a $6 difference.

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
You can clean all of that up really nicely with some superclean and a scrub brush (bathroom type for large parts and toothbrush for small crevices). All can be had from Walmart for a very reasonable price.

Not to mention: if you are planning on replacing the valve cover gaskets, I would recommend to also replace the sparkplug, valve cover bolt seals as those all are very difficult to get off because you have to remove the intake manifold to do so.

AND...since you are taking off the intake manifold; you might as well do the EGR cleaning; you can pick up all the supplies (throttle body cleaner) from walmart for about $3/can as well.
I'm going to buy the whole gasket set pretty soon. I think I'm going with the Fel-Pro kit since the Honda kit is about $40 per gasket set . I cleaned the EGR about a week ago already, but thanks for the tip on the superclean though!
The following users liked this post:
whitetiger5 (01-23-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 01:45 PM
Cruisin'

Might be a super noob question but any reason why the back valve cover and inside is a different color than the front?

Old 03-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
varnish; could be from one of many things like an engine not running for a long time, not changing the oil frequently or increased oxidation with leaky valve cover seals.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
PCV system is on the rear bank and, like whitetiger says, poor oil maintenance.

Last edited by Iggy; 03-04-2020 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Here's mine after 320k running Mobil1 since new with religious oil changes every 10k.

FRONT

REAR

The following users liked this post:
Arkady (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 09:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by whitetiger5
varnish; could be from one of many things like an engine not running for a long time, not changing the oil frequently or increased oxidation with leaky valve cover seals.
Yeah all three of those sound about right for this car lol. Just changed the valve cover seals though and the super clean worked great btw thank you.

Originally Posted by Iggy
PCV system is on the rear bank and, like whitetiger says, poor oil maintenance.
Ok that’s what I was suspecting and just wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything else extremely bad. And your engine looks excellent btw. I definitely have missed a few changes quite often. I just thought it would look bad on both sides if it was only due to the oil.