My ALARM is trying to kill me.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down My ALARM is trying to kill me.

*SIGH* OK. I have already googled a thousand times over an easier solution/steps to take for the issue I'm having and keep getting 50% of the answer I'm looking for from each post... Please bare with me.

I'm having what seems to be the infamous "alarm going off problem" on my 03 Acura TL, but it seems to be getting worse. Please read on:

It started about 2 weeks ago, a security gaurd came up to me 2x in one week to inform me that my alarm had started going off by itself and eventually turning off by itself too before they could get to me in time to inform me.

Also a couple times immediately after locking my car, I would start walking away and then get startled by my car screaming at me yet again, for no reason.

Then it started doing it while I was asleep at night and even one day last week it went off every hour for 3 hours.

I have resorted to unplugging my negative on my battery everytime I leave my vehicle and manually locking all my doors in order to prevent blowing any fuses/causing more damage to my vehicle and so I don't have anyone putting a brick through my windshield or leaving me nasty notes.

Here's where it gets stranger...

Over the past few days I have noticed while driving:

1st Thing: My car no longer "locks" all doors by itself after starting to drive, as far as I can remember it used to do this everytime.

2nd Thing: My car has decided to continue to try to unlock itself while I am DRIVING! I will push the button on my door to lock them again and it will go ahead and unlock itself AGAIN at any given time, it always varies.

3rd Thing: Starting today my double lock click on my car alarm remote no longer "beeps" It was doing this everyday up until now..

I HAVE ALREADY TRIED:

Cleaning the hood latch sensor and it was unsuccessful in solving the problem. We also tested the sensor and it seems to be in working condition. I'm starting to think it's no longer the hood latch sensor.

JKLFDSAFIJODSA.. I am going to cry, someone please help!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 PM
10th Gear

I also wanted to add that even after it unlocks while I'm driving it will continue to try to unlock the car even though it's already magically unlocked it.

& the times I have came back to my car while the alarm is going off, it has been unlocked as well too.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
WOW...I have no experience with this but would suggest doing the following:

1> does this happen when you only use the fob ? trying using the key to lock/unlock and see if the same happens....
2> disconnect the battery (take a note of your radio/nav codes before you disconnect the battery)....
3> reconnect the battery after 15-20 minutes and see if the problem is resolved....

Let us know how it goes....
Old 08-11-2011, 02:34 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for your input ! It happens with the fob & when I just use the keys. I have not tried completely unhooking the battery, I will do that tomorrow & let you know if I get any luck.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
You must have an aftermarket alarm. The OEM factory alarm will not lock nor unlock door automatically while starting to drive or while driving.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:44 AM
10th Gear

Sorry. I think I was wrong about that part. I asked my boyfriend who owned the car before me and he says he doesn't remember it locking while driving, so I'm guessing I was wrong about that. I did try testing the hood fuse again this evening a different way that I found on the forum and I think my hood fuse is bad actually. I am going to get it replaced and see what happens! I am a little relieved at this point, but.... we'll see....
Old 08-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The car shouldnt lock automatically when it starts moving. Nor should it be unlocking after you try to lock it.

I would look at .

Open each door one at a time and see if the dome light comes on?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I had the same problem, the problem is that the ecu is sensing something "open" and thats why the alarm is going off. The first thing and least expensive thing to do is just completely disconnect your Hood Latch sensor just unplug it. This will still lock your doors via the remote but not arm the factory alarm system thus the alarm will never go off again! If you wanna get it done right though its gonna take some time start playing with the hood, doors and trunk 1 by 1 and find out where the problem is. Get it done quick last thing you wanna find is a huge dent on your car from angry neighbors at night lol!!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Started at midnight and went till 9 am --2 blocks over, one of those real pita multi sound alarms
Someone is deaf or away from home to not go turn that off!!

question for electric gurus-
is the door multiplex switch involved in the locking by remote?
would its failure,,say thru getting wet when door open in rain- cause the signal to go screwy?
Its a feeling I had about this thread
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 PM
10th Gear

I am planning to order a new hood latch assembly that includes the hood latch sensor and installing that and hope it fixes the problem. I tested the hood latch sensor by doing the follow mentioned on an old post by slowboat on Acurazine:

"See if you hood latch is flaky by trying this: unlatch hood and lock doors with remote. The security system should not set. Without latching the hood, slowing push the hood down like you are going to latch it. (There's maybe an inch of play there) As you're slowly pushing, keep pressing the lock button on your remote. If the horn beeps and lights flash, the alarm is set. On my car the alarm would set somewhere between open and fully latched and closed. ....

If you can get the security system to set when messing with the hood position, your latch is junk -- order a new one"

...Sure enough I tried the above and my alarm would set correctly somewhere in between closed and open. So at this point I am pointing fingers to the hood latch sensor. I'll let you all know how it goes and thanks for your input! I figured I'd requote what he had said just incase anyone sees this post before his post back in 2007. :p

Last edited by shiftinromance; 08-12-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
You should get the Car checkd by a Alarm Shop, Our OEM Alarm doesnt have auto lock up, So im 100% Its an Aftermarket Alarm.

More than enough things could go wrong with a Bad Installation.