Misc. Electrical problems??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Misc. Electrical problems??

Hi all, I've been cruising around on here and this place seems like a bevy of info! I searched for an answer and couldn't find one so far so here's the question. I just bought a '99 3.2TL and when I lock or unlock the doors either with the remote or the switches, only the driver door works. Also the security light on the driver's door never lights. Any ideas what this could be?

Oh, and also the wipers seem to have alot of play in them when they're stationary, to the point that that "slam" into the cowl or something when on high. Sorry for so many questions, I'm new to Honda/Acura.

One more thing, the dealer said they replaced one of the HID bulbs and he swore it was the driver's side. But the passenger side looks great and the driver's is a sort of pinkish-purple color and definitely not as bright. Could it be that he was mistaken or that they used an inferior bulb? Or if not, where do I go from here?

Thanks!!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. The doors "should" unlock upon 2 press of button.
2. Maybe the light is bad, or, if all of the monitored points aren't shut (trunk open, door cracked etc), then the LED won't blink.
3. Wipers may have been removed to paint them and make it look good to sell (just guessin) and then not tightened down at the base well. Otherwise, where the motor attaches to wiper armature may not be tight.
4. I hear that the bulbs have a "color shift" phase. Someone mentioned 100hrs of burn time before they reach normal color and brightness. Also, you should replace them in pairs.

Good luck
Old 03-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Intermediate

Thanks bibledriver!!

1. The driver's door unlocks with the first button press, but on subsequent presses all I get is a sound from the other doors like they are trying to unlock but the "plungers" (visible through the window when the doors are closed) don't move. It does the same thing when you use either of the interior lock switches. Also if I put the key in the passenger side and unlock it manually the driver's door unlocks, so I'm assuming maybe the other three (passenger front, passenger rear, and driver's rear) actuators are bad??

2. I think you're right about the light. I sat in the car and armed the alarm and then tried to open the door and it set the alarm off. Plus, when I hit the lock button 2x on the remote the horn honks.

3. Any idea how hard it would be to get to the linkage for the wipers to try tightening it?

4. That could be it, they supposedly just changed it and I've only used it for a max of about 10 hrs so far. Just got the car last Friday.

One more thing... Sorry for so much stuff... The little velvet-lined ashtray thing in the bottom of the dash, how do you remove it? I recently got a CEL and want to check it out. Or on the other hand, if I just remove the battery cable to reset the system, can someone tell me the reactivation code for the factory Bose system. ('99 3.2TL)
Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 99tl3.2
Thanks bibledriver!!

1. The driver's door unlocks with the first button press, but on subsequent presses all I get is a sound from the other doors like they are trying to unlock but the "plungers" (visible through the window when the doors are closed) don't move. It does the same thing when you use either of the interior lock switches. Also if I put the key in the passenger side and unlock it manually the driver's door unlocks, so I'm assuming maybe the other three (passenger front, passenger rear, and driver's rear) actuators are bad??

2. I think you're right about the light. I sat in the car and armed the alarm and then tried to open the door and it set the alarm off. Plus, when I hit the lock button 2x on the remote the horn honks.

3. Any idea how hard it would be to get to the linkage for the wipers to try tightening it?

4. That could be it, they supposedly just changed it and I've only used it for a max of about 10 hrs so far. Just got the car last Friday.

One more thing... Sorry for so much stuff... The little velvet-lined ashtray thing in the bottom of the dash, how do you remove it? I recently got a CEL and want to check it out. Or on the other hand, if I just remove the battery cable to reset the system, can someone tell me the reactivation code for the factory Bose system. ('99 3.2TL)
To access the OBDII port, you actually have to remove a plastic cover below the "Not an ashtray". Just pull on the top of the cover towards the shifter and it should pop right out. The radio code is sometimes underneath the fusebox cover in the engine compartment. You can also go to an Acura dealer with your ID and registration (for verification of ownership) so they can look up the code for you in their computer database. They use the VIN for this.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Intermediate

ok, thanks Gfaze!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 PM

To get to wiper linkage, it would be under all the plastic near your w-shield once you open your hood. Probably just pull all the little clips out from middle first, then the whole clip. Then remove plastic cover. You will see where the linkage is then.

Also for the radio code, if you got a little acura portfolio with the car, it would maybe be somewhere in there.

Door locks - hmm, wow, three bad actuators would be odd, but could happen i guess. I wonder if they removed audio components or something and they are now binding somehow on those three. Use the unlock switch and "help" the plunger up manually. Does that help/work?

Did they replace the bulb through ACURA or themselves. If themselves, I would either ask them where they purchased it and purchase one more ( to save money) or buy two new ones (if you aren't concerned over money).
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

I wondered about that, I saw a little plate on the cowl with clips that looked like it would come off pretty easy but I haven't taken it off yet.

I didn't get an "Acura" portfolio but I bought the car w/ cash so I have the title app now and I'll have the actual title soon. I got the code check and AutoZone said it was a "P0175" I think, something about a "Transmission Shift Range Switch". I think I did notice a little hesitation between 2-3 or 3-4 one day.

About the locks, I took off the passenger door panel and tried helping the plunger thing up and it didn't seem to do anything. So I hosed it down with WD-40 and moved it manually up and down several times but when I tried the button it barely moved. I guess it could be all 3 actuators, it's been this way since I got it and it's a 99 model, they could've gone out one at a time over the past 9 years. That sounds reasonable right?? Well, unlikely, but reasonable.

It was a Honda dealer that I got it from. The used lot. The same guy also owns an Acura dealership in the same town. Not that it means much, probably just the same name on the sign... I may give it some more time and see what happens w/ the one that's in there. If not I guess I'll try one bulb and depending on how that does I'll get another if needed. $100+ per bulb is a lil' pricey!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

OK, I learned something last night. I left the lights on, turned off the car and got out. When I came back outside an hour or so later the lights were off (like they're supposed to be). When I opened the door the lights came back on but they were both the blue color!!! The only problem is that after about 3-5 seconds the driver's bulb had turned pinkish again. So you guys think it's the bulb going, or could it be ballast or igniter? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Oh, and if it's the bulb, where can I get a set of the Phillip's or Kaixen's pretty cheap? Thanks!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 AM

I agree on the actuators.

Hmm, could be bulb or ballast. Swith the bulbs from R to L and see if the problem follows the bulb or is isolated to the driver side. If it doesn't move it is you ballast. If it does, bulb.
for $150 you can purchase some good quality KAIXEN bulbs (i have been running mine for about 75 hrs now). They are very nice if you need/want new bulbs (only replace in pairs btw). Otherwise, you might find a ballast at a junkyard. Could be that they replaced the bulb on a quick fix mode, and the ballast is what is bad.

Otherwise,

KAIXEN thread
Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Intermediate

Thanks again bibledriver! My thoughts exactly! I didn't think about switching the bulbs around though... I know I've seen thread after thread about bulbs, but are they very hard to change, besides not touching them and all that I mean?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

not too bad on ours. If you had a 3G TL it would be a different story. You just need a small torx fitting (don't worry about the pin on the torx screw, it shouldn't bother you). Make SURE that you unplug the ballast wiring to the ballast before you proceed to mess with the igniter.

The igniter will push in and then turn c-clockwise. the bulb is held in by a metal spring clip. just push in and slide laterally and then you will be able to pull the bulb. Very easy. If you have changed a halogen bulb, you will do fine.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:35 PM

wear gloves (latex type) if you have 'em just to be safe.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Intermediate

Thanks again, bibledriver! I've changed my fair share of halogens so I thought I might be up to it but I thought I'd make sure. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 PM

Do tell the results.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Ok, I switched the bulbs out. Not very fun I might add... And it's definitely the bulb. I could tell just by looking at it, but since I already had the other side apart I switched them anyway just to be sure it wasn't the ballast too. So looks like I'm in the market for some bulbs!!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:52 AM

So are you in a position to have the seller of the car take care of that for you?

I would recommend the Kaixen's as above, there are many choices $150 for both unless there is a groupbuy; just don't buy cheap bulbs.

Remember that it is best to replace in pairs.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

Bulbs are on order... I can't wait to see the results. What brand are the factory bulbs anyway? The ones that came out of mine were Osram. I just wondered if that was what Acura/Honda used as OE.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:21 AM

Yeah, that is oem. Philips anyway. You will lik the results. What type did you buy?
Old 03-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

Kaixen 6000K. I hope I'll like them! I think so!
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 PM

you will like them for sure. they warm fast, and light well! you will find yourself looking at them a lot from on your way to and from the car!
Report your findings once you install them.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Intermediate

Ha!! I find myself doing that now even w/ one pink one!!! I sure will, and thanks again for all the help!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM

Funny thing happened this A.M.
I passed by a white 99 TL with a nice bright light on the driver side and a pink one on the right. Thought to myself, " that's strange . . . looks like what I imagine that guy on AZine's car to look like." Any chance You drive on I-25?
Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Intermediate

Nah, mine's grey. I think it's called heather mist or something... And I'm not even sure where I-25 is! I'm from Alabama, currently Albertville area.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Intermediate

Waited too long to edit so I had to repost... The color's actually Laguna Metallic. Looks like this...
This isn't my car though, it belongs to fsttyms1. Mine looks similar, but w/o the tint, satellite radio antenna(?) and spoiler.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:36 PM

COOL deal.