Mike needs help

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 07:37 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike needs help

Hey I really need help, my 2002 Acura TL 3.2 is having some troubles and was I hoping someone might be able to help me troubleshoot the problem.

Sometimes it starts up just fine, but other times, which are becoming more prevalent, it shakes, sputters, drops in rpms, and dies all within a matter of 15 seconds. If I put my foot on the brake and give it some gas I'm able to put it in gear... drive/reverse (it's an automatic) ... and then it won't die. Still, every time I start up my car now it sounds more and more rough than the time before. This has all been unfolding over the past week. The first time it didn't start, I waited about 15 minutes, and it cranked up just fine... then it didn't give me any issues for a few days... Now every other time I start it there's a problem.

ALSO, and maybe most importantly, as of today it has began to overheat. I can't use it as reliable transportation anymore, and it is my only transportation.... I've parked it, and I'm stuck with it until I figure out the problem. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

This thread has been moved to the model specific forum for better response.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
​​​​​​Is the check engine light illuminated on the dash?
If yes, have the code read at a local AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc. and report back what code was read.
Could be as simple as bad gas. Could be fouled plugs or many other things.

I always start with the simple things. If no check engine light, go buy a can of Seafoam from your local auto parts store. Add it to a tank of super unleaded from a top tier gas station.
Get it out on the highway and drive it for a good 15-30 minutes. See if that makes any difference.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay... yes the engine light is on, but it's been on for an issue with my transmission 4th gear pressure switch... I will go see if it has any new codes and report back. It would be great if it was just something small ... also I feel like the rough start and overheating are correlated somehow.. but I have no idea how. Do you?

Anyway, thank you for responding, and thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens
Old 09-05-2018, 08:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
IMO: ( " also I feel like the rough start and overheating are correlated somehow.. " ) The rough start coupled with an overheating issue may well be correlated, but in order to sort out the overheating problem, You may want to search the Forum for KNOWN overheating causes, especially the correct cooling fan operation, coolant recover bottle hose connections, and Air in the cooling system, just to rule out any common cooling system problems. Keep in mind, the symptoms You describe, put a tremendous strain on many engine components!