Looking for 200k maintenance advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for 200k maintenance advice

I purchased my 01 tl with 108k miles. I'm currently up to 193k miles. I'm looking into doing a couple of maintenance items at a shop sometime in the near future. I'm trying to come up with a list things to do.

I've done most of the regular maintenance items myself and my car still runs smooth. I have smooth shifting through all gears so i'm definitely not touching the tranny. I use my car about 300 days a year to drive 50 miles and I'm currently getting 22mpg to 25mpg (on a good week).

This is what my list currently consist of:

• Timing belt - I havent changed it since I purchased my car.
  • Water pump
  • All hoses
  • Changing brake fluid
  • Oil pan - Threads are beginning to strip out and I had some leakage from it the last time I changed my oil.
  • Motor mounts
  • Inspecting valve clearances
  • Replace gaskets - I'm not sure what other gaskets I should replace besides the valve cover gasket
I've been thinking about doing shocks and struts.
I did spark plugs 10k miles ago.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Transmission fluid, power steering fluid, radiator flush. Check out all suspension parts and I would defedintly replace shocks but upgrade to better shocks for around the same price
The following users liked this post:
Redflem (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Lightbulb 200K "PM" list.......

Hey Redflem, it appears as though you've had good service from your TL.

To soften the costs of all of this expedited work, consider doing it in two stages. First, have the complete T-belt servicing done. Do some research on the site about associated work which is suggested to be done at that time, for a savings in labor expense. Find a local reputable shop that will permit you to purchase your own parts. This will save some money.

Have all the engine work performed at the same time. Then, later .....have the car's undercarriage checked out on a rack. Most of the steering and suspension components are nearing the time for attention. Get a couple of estimates on what's required, and again try to find a shop that will let you bring in quality parts which you have time to research and shop for.

This way you can better control the overall costs and work being performed. Figure on setting aside approximately $1000 for each stage, so the more you can save on parts, it will help alot !

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 01-04-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Redflem, it appears as though you've had good service from your TL.

To soften the costs of all of this expedited work, consider doing it in two stages. First, have the complete T-belt servicing done. Do some research on the site about associated work which is suggested to be done at that time, for a savings in labor expense. Find a local reputable shop that will permit you to purchase your own parts. This will save some money.

Have all the engine work performed at the same time. Then, later .....have the car's undercarriage checked out on a rack. Most of the steering and suspension components are nearing the time for attention. Get a couple of estimates on what's required, and again try to find a shop that will let you bring in quality parts which you have time to research and shop for.

This way you can better control the overall costs and work being performed. Figure on setting aside approximately $1000 for each stage, so the more you can save on parts, it will help alot !
I feel that i've gotten good service from it as well. I've had no major problems thus far. 193k is approaching end of life though.

I'm kind of scared that i may spend 2000 to do this maintenance and it not last for another year. That would be a waste. The transmission is definitely due.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Unhappy ~ mid-life crisis @ 193K ????

Hey Redflem, if ya think about it....the car has been good to ya and has not cost ya very much to maintain up to this point ! Ya owe it a bit more of life !

Right now is when many people get cold feet, spending money on an older car is a tough decision. But in reality, it's a better option than being locked into a payment book with a new car.

Do you know if the tranny was replaced by the previous owner ? If it is still shifting well, just do a "drain & fill" of the tranny using Honda DW1 fluid. Replacing the filter and fresh fluid helps prolong the tranny's life. If in doubt, have the tranny professionally evaluated before spending money on the upcoming PM work.

If you or a friend is mechanically inclined, you can save a substantial amount of the labor expenses on the work involved. Check our "DIY" sticky for details on common repairs.
The following users liked this post:
Redflem (01-05-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Instructor

WD-40 on your alternator,power steering,air conditioning & tensioner pulley to penetrate the bearings...

Originally Posted by Redflem
I purchased my 01 tl with 108k miles. I'm currently up to 193k miles. I'm looking into doing a couple of maintenance items at a shop sometime in the near future. I'm trying to come up with a list things to do.

I've done most of the regular maintenance items myself and my car still runs smooth. I have smooth shifting through all gears so i'm definitely not touching the tranny. I use my car about 300 days a year to drive 50 miles and I'm currently getting 22mpg to 25mpg (on a good week).

This is what my list currently consist of:

• Timing belt - I havent changed it since I purchased my car.
  • Water pump
  • All hoses
  • Changing brake fluid
  • Oil pan - Threads are beginning to strip out and I had some leakage from it the last time I changed my oil.
  • Motor mounts
  • Inspecting valve clearances
  • Replace gaskets - I'm not sure what other gaskets I should replace besides the valve cover gasket
I've been thinking about doing shocks and struts.
I did spark plugs 10k miles ago.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.