Knuckle re install- help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Knuckle re install- help needed

Hey folks, at a loss here and really need some guidance....

I just recently replaced a host of parts on my 99 TL. It's an old beater i picked up as a daily commuter each way to our work site. Ordered all my stuff off rock auto and it all came at different times so I've been picking away at it as the parts arrive. New control arms, upper ball joints, lower ball joints, sway bar end links front and rear along with bushings, new tie rod ends, and brakes, rotors and callipers all the way around.

Today the lower ball joints joints finally showed up. I took the time to clean up the steering knuckles a bit, gave the area that holds the lower ball joints in place a light sanding and cleaned the surface nicely. Lubed up the ball joints exterior and pressed both in no problem. Now that I go to re install, the axles just simply won't allow me to install the knuckle back onto the chases.

If i seat the lower ball joint first into the LCA, the axle binds before I can connect the knuckle to the upper balljoint and control arms assembly. Vice versa if I attach the upper control arm first. I've removed and re installed both axles a few timse to make sure everything seated right, hell, I even swapped axles from side to side to make sure I hadn't mixed them up, and have gotten no where. At a loss here, is there something I'm missing? Any and all advice is appreciated it. Have spent countless hours working on this thing over the last week and I'm getting to the point where I can hardly stand to look at it.

Tools are all still laid out ready to go and get this thing rolling again, but as it is I'm a good 1 1/2" or more away from lining up both joints on the knuckle without the axles binding.... It's as if the axles are protruding past where they should be 2" or so, yet they are properly installed and engaged into the transmission as tight as possible.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Is it possible you pulled apart the inner CV joint?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:28 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Is it possible you pulled apart the inner CV joint?
Greg, I was very cautious not to allow the inner CV joints to separate. As a last ditch effort, i removed both axles and pulled off the inner CV boots. Stood the axles on end and was able to line up the 3 square pieces that go on the balls of the joint. Re installed the cups, packed the joints again and re assemble the axles. installed them in the tranny and both knuckles went on like butter.

I guess i wasn't cautious enough and the joints actually separated...I feel like an idiot now!

Now, Turns out Rock Auto sent me to Right upper control arms rather then a Right and a Left.... so tomorrow I'll pick one up locally and try to wrap this job up. This front end replacement and break job has been the most aggravating vehicle work I've done in a long time.

I'm typically a big truck guy, these smaller cars sure are different.

Thank you again for your advice, you were exactly right.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:39 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Sweet! I asked because I did that by accident as well despite being careful. Glad you got it back together!