Intake ressy milage

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Intake ressy milage

Ok, so i know someone posted on this and people called him an idiot and stuff but it actually happened to me... So i took out my ressy, and all of a sudden my milage drops a shizzzz load. i went from 150 around half a tank to 112 at half a tank! Yes, i know someone will post, "Well it should seriously be gaining milage" and logically yes... thats what it should do but its not... I have been consistant on my driving too, i floor it the exact amout of times with the intake so idk...

Another question for the people who have exhaust and it removed ( most ppl will have intake AND exhaust, my bad ). So the question is, can you hear the intake on normal acceleration or only when you haul ass?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First thing u need to do is figure out how to properly calculate your mileage. Your gas needle the least accurate way to determine this. You gotta divide the mileage you drove by how many freaking gallons of gas you put in. There is no consistency any other way!

Also, your intake will still make noise even if you have an exhaust. You probably just won't hear it as well because of the exhaust.

I'm guessing you're a fairly new driver based on your questions, am I right?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
It is not really about mpg calculation acuracy, it is clearly about where the 38 miles per half tank got lost after the reson. removal. Let's say he did the calculations properly, that still gives the question unanswered.

In general, I dont need to do any calculations, and I know close enough if it consumpts more or less per half tank. I know how far it can run on each notch, and if it can't go that far, there is a problem in fuel consumption; unless it had additional weights, towing, high rev, AC, malfuntion gauge, etc., then it is considered normal for that approximation lost in mpg.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
ambient temp can change indicated fuel level,,length of drive time changes reading

intake res removal only makes noise in vtec.. when its really able to supply the engine with fresh air
make sure you grabbed the little plastic Y bit from the bottem of res box
Install a free flow air filter
keep your foot out of the throttle,,vtec should not be required around town~
Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea im a fairly new driver. but seriously, im usually around 150 at every half a tank, now im at around 112. Even if the need is off quite a bit, thats still hell of a difference... But yea maybe AC? i just started using the AC but i mean AC doesnt use up that much gas...
Old 03-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Team Owner

you are bombing around enjoying the power of the TL, can take about 4 tanks to get that out of your personal system~

Forget the indicated fuel level and miles driven
When it gets low, refill and do the math for miles driven by actual fuel required to refill tank to full- first shutoff click (most cell phones have a calculator)

did you ck the air filter condition, and clean the TB air plate in TB throat- that gets dirty thru normal use

replace cabin air filter- if its clogged it takes more fan power to get air thru
may not kill mileage but is of concern--due every year!!

if you are getting 300-350 miles from full to low fuel light (3 gallons remain when light comes on--easily 50 miles to find a station) you are average driver
less may indicate more city or stop and go driving than usual?

run 91 octane only!! or 94 if thats premium in your area,,no 87 thats not for us!

cars total mileage?- status of tune up parts?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
Alright, I have a question.

Let's say I fill up my tank until the gas stops pumping. There are X gallons of gas in my tank. I then drive around until the low gas light comes on. I fill up the gas again until the gas stops pumping. Will there be exactly X gallons in my tank again? If not, then it seems impossible to accurately calculate MPG.

How does the gas pump know when to stop pumping gas? Pressure? If this varies, then you don't really know exactly how much gas you used up.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Team Owner

you will be within a point or two of actual mpg--good enough for keeping an eye out for problems
the fuel pump stop system is `back pressure` based iirc

what matters is how many miles you drove- for the amount of gallons it took to refill.

this is a time honored and tested method--
basic math

you can measure it on half a tanks use too--as long as you refill to first shut off.
to be more exact--use the same pump, at same time of day/ambient temp
Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

if you refill as soon as the light comes on--it should take 14.3 to 14.5 gallions every time
~3 gal remain at light,
I dont always make it to the station asap, so a few miles more drive affects actual number to refill from low light,,but doesnt change the tank total mpg!