Ignition/Car Won't Shift From Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition/Car Won't Shift From Park

Hi all,
I'm having some issues with my 99 TL 3.2. Car has 230,000km on it. I'm not sure if all they issues are related or if it is a coincidence that they are both happening at the same time. I'll try and give the most information possible in the order they occured.

Over the summer the car would randomly stall while driving at speed or backing out of the driveway. This happened maybe 5 times in 2 months. It stopped. 3 months later and winter is here... All has been fine for the past few months until yesterday.

I'm driving back from Mcdonalds on my lunch break at work and the car stalls... I start it, it stalls again. I start it and continue driving for 5 minutes back to the construction site. I turned the car off, took the key out and the dash light were still running and the heat was still on. I put the key in and when I went to turn it to start the car again, it didnt feel right, kind of loose and jamming without moving fluidly between the three positions. Anyhow, car started, I turned it off took the key out.. lights went off, heat went off. Went back to work for 4 hours.

Finished work came back out tried to start the car, and the car started but as soon as I let go of the key the car turned off. I turned it over few more times (waiting few seconds in between) same thing happened but then eventually it stayed running. Now all of a suddden, the car wont shift into drive (the shift lever is locked and the abs light is on)... After some messing around I finally figured out to pop the plastic cap off on the shift console and use a screwdriver to put it in drive. I drove home (20 mins drive) without the car stalling.

Left the car overnight, got a ride to work in the morning... after work.. today.. I've started the car three times no problem. I'm still not sure it feels right when I turn the key but I can't be sure. Also, the car still wont shift from park to drive but the abs light is no longer on because i disconnected the battery for a few minutes.

So from what I've read so far I have a bad ignition switch which would explain the stalling but whats going on with not being able to shift into gear.

I've seen this guide: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/diy-99-tl-ignition-switch-686000/

but the part is $96 dollars for me to get it form the dealership (I live in Canada) and they offer no returns on electrical parts so I want to be sure this is the problem or at least one of the problems before I buy it.

Any ideas?

Please note I'm a little strapped for cash (like most) so I need to avoid bringing this thing to a garage or spending unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the short storry

- Jordan
Old 11-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
check your brake light if the work
if not then change your brake switch since that controls brake lights and shift release solenoid
The following users liked this post:
Jordan4444 (12-10-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Cruisin'

Just checked to confirm and break lights are working fine.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Arrow Faulty ignition switch.....

Originally Posted by Jordan4444
Over the summer the car would randomly stall while driving at speed or backing out of the driveway.
...... and the car stalls... I start it, it stalls again. I start it and continue driving for 5 minutes back to the construction site. I turned the car off, took the key out and the dash light were still running and the heat was still on. I put the key in and when I went to turn it to start the car again, it didnt feel right, kind of loose and jamming without moving fluidly between the three positions.

...... tried to start the car, and the car started but as soon as I let go of the key the car turned off. I turned it over few more times (waiting few seconds in between) same thing happened but then eventually it stayed running. Now all of a suddden, the car wont shift into drive (the shift lever is locked and the abs light is on)

..... I've started the car three times no problem. I'm still not sure it feels right when I turn the key but I can't be sure. Also, the car still wont shift from park to drive but the abs light is no longer on because i disconnected the battery for a few minutes.

So from what I've read so far I have a bad ignition switch which would explain the stalling but whats going on with not being able to shift into gear.

Hey Jordan4444, the ignition switches are a common problem, replace it and then see what happens from there. Check the "DIY" sticky for more info. Check all of your battery/motor electrical connections and grounds. Clean TB intake, IAC valve and EGR system.
Jordan4444 (12-10-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
+1 on the ignition switch.
Jordan4444 (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry for the late reply. I want to give an update in-case someone with similar issues stumbles upon this thread.

As suggested, the ignition switch was the problem. After replacing the broken switch with the new 305 variant from Honda, the car starts fine. It also instantly fixed the issue of not being able to shift into gear from park, as well as fixed my radio (forgot to mention radio wasn't working).

The part cost me $96 plus tax at the Honda dealership here in Ontario, Canada. Still much cheaper than if I had to bring it to a mechanic for diagnostic and labour to fix it.

Thanks to everyone for all there suggestions and help. This community has come through for me once again.

- Jordan
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey Jordan4444, thanks for following up....as it definitely is beneficial to anyone else having a similar problem.
This is something that everybody should try to do !!! It shows that you take the time to care for fellow A-ziners !!!