How difficult to install front struts on 99 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How difficult to install front struts on 99 TL?

I have the new front struts. Should I attempt to install them myself? Anyone who has done it, how much time, difficultly, any special tools, headaches, etc? Or should I just pay the shop guy down the road $150 in labor to put them on?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
you'd have to transfer over your springs so you'll need spring compressor

about $50 rental at local auto store.

There's a DIY for Tein S-tech spring install. it would just be that without the modification to the bump stop and no aftermarket spring.

Difficulty.. i'd say its easy.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
It's easy maybe a hour or two. You do need a spring compressor like jjasha said 50$ refundable deposit from auto store. Basic tools and you can get it done.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
rental spring compressors can send you to the Emergency Room!!!!

if the setup you bought requires transfer of the spring and tophat
take the strut asssembly and new parts to a shop
let them risk their life for the few dollars
Even 150 for all the work is a decent price

helps to have a buddy for the install as you slide strut in lower mount, then raise up to holes for the top bolts to go thru,
The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

helps to have a buddy for the install as you slide strut in lower mount, then raise up to holes for the top bolts to go thru,
Yeah it does help having a person to help you. What's so dangerous that it can send you to the emergency room?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

The newer ones arent bad. They have a bottom pin on them to help keep them from coming off. Stupidity kills more than tools
The following users liked this post:
LiveFive (12-30-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The newer ones arent bad. They have a bottom pin on them to help keep them from coming off. Stupidity kills more than tools

Yes, I must agree fully !

If a person doesn't fully understand the basic principles of what they're dealing with, and don't feel comfortable with the inherent risks.....then by all means....let someone else do it for a few bucks.

Replacing struts is not an overly difficult DIY job for the well seasoned mechanically inclined. But, it can be challenging if you've never done struts before. An option is to remove the strut assemblies and take them to a shop for insertion of the new shocks within the coil springs. 10 minute job ! Maybe less than $50.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Original Owner / Oct 1998

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A workable set of spring compressors can be purchased for ~$15 from places like Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/macpher...-set-3980.html

These have all the safety j-hooks that prevent the clamps from flying off...

Remember, the one who dies with the most tools, WINS.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:24 AM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I ended up taking it to the shop and letting them do the struts and I'm glad I did. They had the machine and air tools to do the job and yes, it did look like it a dangerous thing for me to try with hand tools. With the struts out, we noticed the ball joints (upper and lower, both sides) were toast, so I have new ones ordered and that's coming next.

Wow, what a difference the new struts make when driving. No more noises going over bumps and the ride is noticeably better. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
once all the new parts are in- take it to an alignment shop for a 4 wheel thrust align

only the `toe` is adjustable on stock suspension front and rear of the TL
so the price should be cheaper than other cars~ 60 bucks is a decent price

there isnt much they can do to adjust!!
some cars have shims and bs they can do in the rear,,,but a TL off spec means something is wrong!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark Wonder
Well, I ended up taking it to the shop and letting them do the struts and I'm glad I did. They had the machine and air tools to do the job and yes, it did look like it a dangerous thing for me to try with hand tools. With the struts out, we noticed the ball joints (upper and lower, both sides) were toast, so I have new ones ordered and that's coming next.

Wow, what a difference the new struts make when driving. No more noises going over bumps and the ride is noticeably better. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Did you order just ball joints or did you get whole new control arms? If just the ball joints, where did you get them from?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Wink ball joints......or complete control arm ?

Originally Posted by RONE
Did you order just ball joints or did you get whole new control arms? If just the ball joints, where did you get them from?
Hey Rone, while I may be mistaken....Bark Wonder's main point of interest was concerning replacing the front struts.

However if considering to replace only the ball joints in the front upper and lower control arms, Moog offers replacement ball joints for both the upper and lower arms. These are a top quality product which also has servicable grease fittings. They also sell an adjustable top joint designed for lowered suspension alignment issues. I bought mine from Rock Auto.

While these can be pressed in with the proper equipment, the complete control arm assembly may be worth the extra money for ease of installation. The bushings must be checked if re-using the original arms.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Rone, while I may be mistaken....Bark Wonder's main point of interest was concerning replacing the front struts.

However if considering to replace only the ball joints in the front upper and lower control arms, Moog offers replacement ball joints for both the upper and lower arms. These are a top quality product which also has servicable grease fittings. They also sell an adjustable top joint designed for lowered suspension alignment issues. I bought mine from Rock Auto.

While these can be pressed in with the proper equipment, the complete control arm assembly may be worth the extra money for ease of installation. The bushings must be checked if re-using the original arms.
Thanks for the reply. I just ordered Moog upper and lower ball joints. Will be installing over Christmas!