From Hot Weather To Cold Now I Got Problems Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Hot Weather To Cold Now I Got Problems Help

Hello all, So I have moved from California to Minnesota and since I have arrived about 2 weeks ago my car has started to have a couple issues. It’s a 99 TL with 144,000 miles. Haven't done the 100k tune up etc yet. Ever since I got into the cold weather when i turn the wheel the right side squeaks. It was really bad and now not quite as loud. The steering isn't stiffer or anything like that just the noise. In addition the other night my check engine light came on with a Code of P0420, the catalytic converter threshold deal. My idling has been a bit iffy lately, even turned off one time; this was before the cold weather. What I'm wondering is, could these problems be happening because i don't have proper cold fluids compared to the California ones? Or do I really need to change the o2 sensor or cat etc.?

Should I add any fluids otherwise due to cold weather not related to any of these problems? The first 100,000 miles the car spent in the Minnesota and the last 3 years and 44,000 miles in California.

Thanks I really appreciate the help.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Are you even serious about maintaining your car? Not doing the 105k service is not a good way to keep your TL running top shape and can lead to future problems. The squeaking noise you mentioned is normal and other TL owners, including myself, experience it in very cold weather.

Your valves probably need a damn good adjustment, you fluids probably need to be flushed and I'd definitely check your belts.

Quit neglecting your car's necessary maintenance and get on it. It's going to be even harder on your car considering the drastic climate change. If you can't afford to do the entire 105k maintenance all at once, then it can be done in small stages if you take a preventative approach.

i.e. I drive in severe conditions here in Edmonton, therefore I will be doing the 105K service before I should, and I've already taken care of most of the maintenance involved in it. All I need to do is get my valves adjusted this spring.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:04 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
The noise is not normal. It could be a few things, power steering pump, cv joint, wheel bearing, or rack and pinion. The 105 maintenance may have nothing to do with your squeaking noise. I don't think are you the only one who has not done the 105 maintenance at this mileage, but in this such climate, you should pay attention to all the tuneup.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by acutee
The noise is not normal. It could be a few things, power steering pump, cv joint, wheel bearing, or rack and pinion. The 105 maintenance may have nothing to do with your squeaking noise. I don't think are you the only one who has not done the 105 maintenance at this mileage, but in this such climate, you should pay attention to all the tuneup.
Acutee, the reason why I said it's "normal" is for good reason. It only happens in very cold temperatures. Other members in more northern regions have noticed it as well. It happens only while making a sharper turn from stop or at low speed and will not last for long. At any temperature above 20 F none of us experience this sound. I also know that none of my suspension parts are having any issues for they were all recently inspected by my mechanic and deemed all good.

I suppose I should not generalize the experience of a few members to everyone having the same "issue", but I figured he was simply experiencing exactly what quite a few of us do.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Yes, it is normal when climate changes and problem appears and disappears by itself.