Headlight, Headlamp Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight, Headlamp Issue

Hey guys, just have an issue with my Driver side headlamp... theres some condensation build-up inside my headlamp causing my d. side headlight to not work. Could it be just a bulb issue or more? Also, where can i have it fixed...
Old 02-16-2008, 01:17 AM
Casper

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
What exactly is happening with your headlight? Flickering, completely dead, etc.? Are you sure that it's not a ballast issue if you have HIDs? Did you change the driver side headlight unit at any time, to aftermarket, or because of an accident?

Sounds to me like the headlight housing isn't properly sealed. You can:

a) Buy a new headlamp (...no, that's not a good idea, waste of cash).

b) Take it to a dealer or repair shop (...bigger waste of cash again thanks to money sharks).

OR (if you don't mind...)

c) Take the headlight unit out, and check to see that the lens and everything is sealed properly. You also have to check that the back bulb cover/cap for where you insert the bulbs, are sealing properly when you close them. I suspect that moisture is entering through the bulb cover/cap.

If my general science is correct, condensation occurs when (1) there is moisture in the air (and there always is on our wonderful planet, we rely on it), (2) there is a temperature difference at a common surface causing the moisture to settle (like on your windows, you've seen this when say it's cold outside and you have your heater turned on causing the glass to fog up), and (3) the combo of both produces condensation quicker.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my parents 2000 tlp's passenger side headlamp is flickering for the first 10-20 secs after its turned on then it will dim and turn off. is it a wiring problem or is it a bad ballast? i don't think a dead bulb would even flicker....
Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cominfromafar
What exactly is happening with your headlight? Flickering, completely dead, etc.? Are you sure that it's not a ballast issue if you have HIDs? Did you change the driver side headlight unit at any time, to aftermarket, or because of an accident?

Sounds to me like the headlight housing isn't properly sealed. You can:

a) Buy a new headlamp (...no, that's not a good idea, waste of cash).

b) Take it to a dealer or repair shop (...bigger waste of cash again thanks to money sharks).

OR (if you don't mind...)

c) Take the headlight unit out, and check to see that the lens and everything is sealed properly. You also have to check that the back bulb cover/cap for where you insert the bulbs, are sealing properly when you close them. I suspect that moisture is entering through the bulb cover/cap.

If my general science is correct, condensation occurs when (1) there is moisture in the air (and there always is on our wonderful planet, we rely on it), (2) there is a temperature difference at a common surface causing the moisture to settle (like on your windows, you've seen this when say it's cold outside and you have your heater turned on causing the glass to fog up), and (3) the combo of both produces condensation quicker.
Completely DEAD... and thanks man, ill look into that...
Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Casper

Originally Posted by chewi
my parents 2000 tlp's passenger side headlamp is flickering for the first 10-20 secs after its turned on then it will dim and turn off. is it a wiring problem or is it a bad ballast? i don't think a dead bulb would even flicker....
chewi, it could be the wiring (bad/dirty connection, slight break in wire, etc.), bad igniter/ballast, or it could be the beginning signs of a bulb who's time is at an end.

This was discussed in another thread,

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174175

that the elements in the bulb which the voltage/current arcs across grow apart with wear, and therefore more voltage is needed to properly ignite and run the bulb. Voltage which the battery alone cannot provide, but when the car is running things would be ok.

What's your best bet? Swap the bulbs, left to right/right to left. If the the same thing occurs in the passenger headlight unit (with the bulb that you know worked fine in the driver's side), check the wiring. If the wiring checks out ok, i'd say it's the igniter/ballast. Otherwise, if the bulb (which was in the passenger side) behaves the same way (in the driver's side headlight unit), it's the bulb, in which case you have to change it. NOTE: Always change HID bulbs in pairs...if you care for consistency/looks. If your tight on cash and don't care about color (temperature)/brightness difference, go ahead and change just what you need to.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Casper

cfive, i recommend you try the same troubleshooting procedure above if you haven't already.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Instructor

well i havent done any of the troubleshooting YET! but, i was just wondering... if there was heavy condensation inside my headlamp unit... it will obviously kill the bulb right (same deal with cracked fog lamp lenses, causing ure fog lamp bulb to not work)? But will it also kill any of the parts beyond that (i.e. Ballast, Igniter, etc)
Old 03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
4th Gear

Headlight Issue-HID

Hi, new to the forum....but I am having the exact problem....comes on, flickers, then goes off after 10 seconds or so onthe passenger side...I will try swapping bulbs as discussed above, however, I am not sure how to remove the low beam bulb...I the high beam is pretty simple, but low beam (HID) looks tricky...anyone have suggestions, and or diagrams...Thanks...-2000 TL-
Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Curtsan
Hi, new to the forum....but I am having the exact problem....comes on, flickers, then goes off after 10 seconds or so onthe passenger side...I will try swapping bulbs as discussed above, however, I am not sure how to remove the low beam bulb...I the high beam is pretty simple, but low beam (HID) looks tricky...anyone have suggestions, and or diagrams...Thanks...-2000 TL-
I just swapped my bulb and looks like tghe bulb is still fine... w/c sucks coz now i dont know if its a igniter, ballast, etc. issue... any opinions??

Curtsan: u will need to buy a set of Star/Torx Tamper Proof driver set (Pepboys $6) u need that to unscrew the security bolt behind the headlight... also search up the forums...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the information.
So, I took off my bumper, as I could not get the back of the low beam cover off and pull out bulb. This actually means taking off the black plastic inner "grille" piece first, then the bumper cover, then a steel brace inside of bumper and covering the botom part of the headlight assembly. Although it was a bit tricky at first, the whole process took me only about a half an hour.
Once it was all apart, I disconnected the headlights, and set them on the bench overnight to lose any stored voltage.
I today swapped the bulbs and tried them....I was lucky, in that the flicker is now on the other side, so I could determine it was the bulb. Here's the kicker though....I had planned all along to simply buy a pair of replacement bulbs on ebay for about $90 or so...however, once I got the bumper all apart, it didn't ake sense to put it all back together, while waiting for the bulbs to arrive (since I need the car to drive by Friday....) as such, I ended up buying a single bulb from a local auto parts store for about $200....YIKES! Oh well, it was scheaper than taking the project to the dealership....and the bumper all went back together just fine in about 10 minutes....I will still buy a pair of OEM HID bulbs from ebay to have on hand, so if/when the time comes again to change, I have them....chances are that if one went, the other side will probably follow shortly. thanks to everyone who posted replies to help, and I look forward to gaining more insight from my fellow TL owners....BTW, my TL has about 200,000 kms, if that is any gauge on when these lights start to burn out...