Front end woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end woes

Hello fellow TL owners.

My 2003 TL just developed a front end problem. When the vehicle is in motion there is regular noise and a tiny bit of vibration coming from the front end. The noise seems to correspond to the wheel rotation: the faster you go, the more frequent the noise.

After doing a search on here I think it may be axle, CV bearing, wheel bearing, or something along those lines. I haven't checked the CV boots.

Two questions:
1) Am I on the right track with this diagnosis?

2) Is it OK to drive in this condition for a few days?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
what is the noise? Can you describe it? a squeal? a hum? grinding?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
Anything to do with suspension is a bit risky to drive with it not performing correctly.
What kind of a noise is it? Clicking, howling?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 PM
10th Gear

Sorry guys, I should have tried to describing the noise the first time.

I guess I would describe the noise as a very very subtle thump. It doesn't sound metallic. There is no grinding or humming. Just a tiny little thump with each rotation of the wheels. And is coming from the front of the vehicle and it almost seems passenger side. But I'm not 100% sure of that.

The first impression I had was the tire was making contact with something as it rotated, but I couldn't find anything. And the sound seems more muffled than you would get from the tire making contact with something.

The thump is present when going around both a right hand or left hand curve.

I don't think it is brake related as there is no change to the thump with the brakes applied.

Does that help? I have an appointment at the dealer on Wednesday, but I would like to have a rough idea where to point them.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
dont need the dealer for this job, a smaller private owner shop -alignment shop would be good choice to do the inspection and work

You are better off giving a good solid description of the problem than telling a dealer service writer what to look for

you are on the right track the cv bearings on the axles, or hub bearing,,been several of those reported on here in the last few weeks

ck the boots for tears that let grease out and grit in = destroyed cv bearing

Does the noise change at starting off speed, turn the wheel fully one direction and begin to move,,then other direction from stopped
click click click is cv bearing = install new axle $100 at NAPA or OMG how much! at dealer

thump thump humming whirring, increases with speed but not affected by fully turned wheel= often hub bearing
The following users liked this post:
drtbk4ever (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
dont need the dealer for this job, a smaller private owner shop -alignment shop would be good choice to do the inspection and work

You are better off giving a good solid description of the problem than telling a dealer service writer what to look for

you are on the right track the cv bearings on the axles, or hub bearing,,been several of those reported on here in the last few weeks

ck the boots for tears that let grease out and grit in = destroyed cv bearing

Does the noise change at starting off speed, turn the wheel fully one direction and begin to move,,then other direction from stopped
click click click is cv bearing = install new axle $100 at NAPA or OMG how much! at dealer

thump thump humming whirring, increases with speed but not affected by fully turned wheel= often hub bearing
Great info 01TL4TL,

I will go and test the starting off speed to check for the click click as well, but the hub bearing description seems the most likely.

I will also call a local guy I know to see if he is interested.

Will I need an alignment on the car with this repair work?

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 09-13-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
not usually- but it may be a bit off unless you just had it ckd
Driving on Earth seems to knock them around~
drtbk4ever (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
10th Gear

OK, you wouldn't guess what just happened.

I took the car out and tested to see if I heard the click click click of the cv bearing/axle. No issues there. I then proceed to drive the car the 1 or 2 kms to the local auto repair shop.

And as I am driving, the symptoms started to fade and then completely disappeared. So I sought a long stretch of new smooth pavement to see if I could detect the problem, and the thumping and vibration are completely gone. I hate when that happens. So I felt it was pointless to stop at the repair shop. At least at this moment.

Can you think of what may have changed after doing that cv bearing/axle test to cause the disppearance of those symptoms?
Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You could have warn motor mounts. If there is play, or if the motor turns as the torque increases, it could mis-align the halfshaft/axle from the tranny to the wheel. Does, or did it happen on acceleration? I learned the hard way about the mounts. Mine were bad, wore out my axle, (has had a speed wobble, not the normal click, click of a cv joint). These motors are pretty peppy and if they arent secured with good mounts, it will cause MULTIPLE failures all over the front end. The part of it going away, if the mounts are in fact bad, and the motor has fallen out of line (shift of1/4"), it could fall back in temporarily and sound or feel better.
Just a thought dude. Hope this helped. Your issues sounded a bit like mine, and that was my bad. Too much play, axle wore, Lower ball joint gave while I was driving...ugh.
It's in my d/w on jackstands. I want to know exactly what should be replaced before it's back on the road.
02 TL Type S
The following 2 users liked this post by NorCal-S:
01tl4tl (09-23-2011), drtbk4ever (09-24-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
Informative first post ^^.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:48 AM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks homie Need 14 more till I'm legit. Does this count as 2?
Old 09-24-2011, 08:10 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for that input NorCal.

So then I need to ask is there a way to determine if a motor mount is gone?
Old 09-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
This may not sound correct but from the vibration you had while the wheels are in rotation and the faster you go, the more you hear it, it could be something as simple as a big enough rock to get stuck in between the treads on your tire. Since you said out of nowhere the vibration and thumping noise disappeared, it could be while driving your tire went on something to push the rock out of the tread. Seen this same concern in the dealer quite a few times
drtbk4ever (09-25-2011)
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi

Originally Posted by MrKev
This may not sound correct but from the vibration you had while the wheels are in rotation and the faster you go, the more you hear it, it could be something as simple as a big enough rock to get stuck in between the treads on your tire. Since you said out of nowhere the vibration and thumping noise disappeared, it could be while driving your tire went on something to push the rock out of the tread. Seen this same concern in the dealer quite a few times
I am having the same problem... I have changed the motor mounts because they were bad and I still have the exact same problem...

I'm pretty sure it's the hub or bearings