Extending the life of your transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:16 AM
The beast within

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extending the life of your transmission

There is another thread that is for the growing amount of people that have a problem with their transmission failing....& this one, is not one of that kind.
I haven't seen a single person mention this, (& forgive me if I am wrong) but why has none of you tried Lucas oil products?
The key among other methods and ways, IS: Change the transmission fluid yourself with One bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix + the remainder of the tranny fluid being Lucas Semi-Synthetic Transmission Fluid...which does work in your tranny, I know....it is in mine + you'll get quicker shifts.
You've got a whole bunch of people swearing by the Seafoam method....well, I can tell you, I swear by the Lucas products.
I've had 3 80's Mercedes' with their jerky autos & 2 90's Eclipses with hard shifting stick shifts, and I can tell you that I've never had to replace a transmission, because I've used Lucas since the day I got my first car...about 6 cars ago.
I changed my tranny fluid at 74k on my TL-P because I wasn't sure if anyone had done it yet (2nd owner), & now I am at 91k with no problems, & I don't expect any either, cause of Lucas Oil.
Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose, & a longer life out of your transmission to gain !!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
HONDA ATFluid changed at 76k on TL-P.. i'm at 97k.. still going strong..

nothing wrong with honda ATFluid...
Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 AM
The beast within

you are right, Honda atf is the what Honda would use, but you still use aftermarket parts, don't you? There's very few people that are all about OEM parts & fluids. Do the research, & decide for yourself, but Lucas has worked for me in 5 transmissions that were otherwise supposed to be "replaced" & "will not last more than a month."
I owned an '85 300SD with 349k miles, whose tranny was in need of repair, & slipped pretty bad when I got it. Did a Lucas semi-synthetic + Lacas tranny fix, & drove it for another 40k miles before selling it for more than I bought it for.
Honda ATF is made to keep it working, however what do you suppose all those people with bad trannies in these forums had in their trannies? I would assume they had Honda ATF. That is not the culprit ofcourse, but it didn't help. I simply am letting you know guys, that using Lucas will most likely help you more, than using Honda ATF. Simple as that. Do the research and decide for yourself.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive used lucas in 98-02 accords with trans that were starting to slip and it never worked for them. on atleast 15+ cars. if it does work its a ghetto fix for most people tryin to sell their car. people at the honda dealer i worked at would come in with their lucas and ask us to add it. 9 times out of 10 they were back within 3000 miles for a trans... if it worked for you thats awesome but for me personally it hasnt...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by LTLZack
There is another thread that is for the growing amount of people that have a problem with their transmission failing....& this one, is not one of that kind.
I haven't seen a single person mention this, (& forgive me if I am wrong) but why has none of you tried Lucas oil products?
The key among other methods and ways, IS: Change the transmission fluid yourself with One bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix + the remainder of the tranny fluid being Lucas Semi-Synthetic Transmission Fluid...which does work in your tranny, I know....it is in mine + you'll get quicker shifts.
You've got a whole bunch of people swearing by the Seafoam method....well, I can tell you, I swear by the Lucas products.
I've had 3 80's Mercedes' with their jerky autos & 2 90's Eclipses with hard shifting stick shifts, and I can tell you that I've never had to replace a transmission, because I've used Lucas since the day I got my first car...about 6 cars ago.
I changed my tranny fluid at 74k on my TL-P because I wasn't sure if anyone had done it yet (2nd owner), & now I am at 91k with no problems, & I don't expect any either, cause of Lucas Oil.
Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose, & a longer life out of your transmission to gain !!
Problem with this is, the type of fluid or break down is NOT the problem. Getting fluid to parts is, and design of the parts is. Adding this stuff will not help that.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
maybe the other fluid has a lower viscosity and gets to the parts better
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gold2003tl (90)
maybe the other fluid has a lower viscosity and gets to the parts better
No.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
No.
What about using it in post- '05 trans. replacements? The fluid flow problem was addressed in those right?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by totaledTL
What about using it in post- '05 trans. replacements? The fluid flow problem was addressed in those right?
Its supposed to have been addressed. As for using it in them?? You could. Why you would? I would rather use a quality lubricant like Amsoil than add a additive like lucas to it
Old 03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Drifting

Ok, I thought Lucas made good quality lubes too.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
The beast within

Its supposed to have been addressed. As for using it in them?? You could. Why you would? I would rather use a quality lubricant like Amsoil than add a additive like lucas to it
Lucas makes Semi-Synthetic atf which is not an additive, it's an actual atf...that's what I got in mine right now.
I'm on the original tranny, so if it lasts at least 30k more miles, I'll stand by Lucas. Different people, cars, etc, different experiences...you got your opinions - which is fine. Cars have different variety of transmissions, so I'm not going to be surprised if the Semi-synthetic atf works differently & delivers variety of results depending on the car. All I am saying, is that it works for me. One has to make some decisions, independent of other peoples opinions.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Lucas makes Semi-Synthetic atf which is not an additive, it's an actual atf...that's what I got in mine right now.
I'm on the original tranny, so if it lasts at least 30k more miles, I'll stand by Lucas. Different people, cars, etc, different experiences...you got your opinions - which is fine. Cars have different variety of transmissions, so I'm not going to be surprised if the Semi-synthetic atf works differently & delivers variety of results depending on the car. All I am saying, is that it works for me. One has to make some decisions, independent of other peoples opinions.
I agree, every one has their own opinion. Problem is you cant say whether or not the fluid helped either. There is no set # of miles the trans lasts. Some have gone 150k+ others 5k. Yours making it a set amount of miles wont determine if the fluid helped.
Also like stated before fluid is NOT the problem.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 PM
Drifting

...There is no set # of miles the trans lasts. Some have gone 150k+ others 5k....
I've often read on here that around/about 50K miles is when they go belly-up.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you thinking?

I'm to read your horribly formated posting and put a $3500 tranny at risk? Honestly, I dont understand why people who went through highschool write like this. And you want me to believe you are knowledgable?

First, start by putting your thoughts together in a formated manner. Secondly, move from point to point in a logical fashion. Stating the facts as you see them. Thirdly, bring your thoughts/ideas into play ensuring the reader can tell the difference between fact and thought/idea.

What you've writen here cannot be take seriously by any education person.

Anyone reading this in the future please consider very seriously the ramifications to taking the advice of someone with no experience beyond their own car and the other cars mentioned have no relation to honda/acura.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Went 75k on the first and am at 65K on the second. First was replaced early.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rob-2
Went 75k on the first and am at 65K on the second. First was replaced early.
Mine was replaced at 75K too. It was still going but it was starting to shift erratically more often so I took it in. The rest is history.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:42 AM
The beast within

What are you thinking?

I'm to read your horribly formated posting and put a $3500 tranny at risk? Honestly, I dont understand why people who went through highschool write like this. And you want me to believe you are knowledgable?

First, start by putting your thoughts together in a formated manner. Secondly, move from point to point in a logical fashion. Stating the facts as you see them. Thirdly, bring your thoughts/ideas into play ensuring the reader can tell the difference between fact and thought/idea.

Anyone reading this in the future please consider very seriously the ramifications to taking the advice of someone with no experience beyond their own car and the other cars mentioned have no relation to honda/acura.
Dude, wth is your problem? This is all about opinions, & I clearly stated mine. I am not imposing it on anyone, so don't go talking like I offended you or something! Don't start s*** in this forum, it's not the place.
If you are on your second trannie in 75k miles, than obviously you have worse luck than mine, with Lucas & original tranny. So don't you be firing back insults.... Nobody's making anyone try anything....
Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Drifting

What are you thinking?

Bad day? BTW, what's an "education" person? Lol j/k, don't get bent out of shape. But everybody could benefit from some proofreading, right? :wink:
Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not a bad day. Actually a very good day.

I guess my point is too many people, particularly kids, are coming here with GREAT ideas that are not tested stating them as though they are facts and/or proven concepts. 100K on the method is something I'm interested in knowing more about. Similarly I'm about 50K no on 87oc gas and I'll do a full write up on it in another 50K. I put my ideas out, debunked a few pieces of bad info and left it be. People can figure what they want.

Yeah, I should proof read this. These little boxes to type it make it hard sometimes and I miss things.

This and the oil thread from another youngin get me going. Bad ideas, bad information and poor delivery.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

This is my problem. With only 17K on your Acura Tranny you are stating this stuff works and people have nothing to lose.

Dude, wth is your problem? This is all about opinions, & I clearly stated mine. I am not imposing it on anyone, so don't go talking like I offended you or something! Don't start s*** in this forum, it's not the place.
If you are on your second trannie in 75k miles, than obviously you have worse luck than mine, with Lucas & original tranny. So don't you be firing back insults.... Nobody's making anyone try anything....
You're right, you're not making ANYONE do anything, but you're presenting things in the wrong light. It's a HUGE gamble to put non-honda ATF fluid in a tranny and if you think 17K is a fair test you're ill informed. You're guiding people to possibly a $3500 repair and thats reckless.

You should be clearly warning people of the downsides to non-honda ATF and have more research behind your post then your 17K on Lucus in your Acura. (17K 91-74). If you're wrong will you buy them a new tranny?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
The beast within

This is my problem. With only 17K on your Acura Tranny you are stating this stuff works and people have nothing to lose.

You're right, you're not making ANYONE do anything, but you're presenting things in the wrong light. It's a HUGE gamble to put non-honda ATF fluid in a tranny and if you think 17K is a fair test you're ill informed. You're guiding people to possibly a $3500 repair and thats reckless.

You should be clearly warning people of the downsides to non-honda ATF and have more research behind your post then your 17K on Lucus in your Acura. (17K 91-74). If you're wrong will you buy them a new tranny?
Apparently you're only picking up on what bugs you, completely skipping over anything else I've written. I'm sorry if you were led to believe someone else diy on something that ended up f****** up your sense of judgement.
I for one, never do anything that doesn't make sense to me, nor do I follow peoples directions prior to analyzing the information myself.
You basically called me illiterate & uneducated for stating my own opinion on a matter & the "format" in which it was written? Yet you go about stating yours & make so many spelling mistakes that it makes me laugh at your objections. Please!! This is not a place to come & bark at people because you don't believe in the outcome. Fsttyms1 disagrees as well but he at least does it in a way more polite way in comparisson. So why all the nastiness? I mean, honestly you are being plain rude.
No one person that has any common sense is going to go shell out $10 for the tranny fix & special order the semi-synthetic ATF (you can't get it in the store) if you haven't done a little research at least, & are sure that you'd want to do it.
Acura's owners manual clearly states that the engine does not require nor need any additives, to the oil or gas, yet majority here have seafoamed, explain that? & why is that any better for your engine than Lucas products?
I've had an 84 SD & drove on Lucas ATF for 40k miles, as it was stated in my post. I have used Lucas products since my first car.
BUT everybody here have to make their own decision as to what they would do. Don't like it, don't do it. Do some reading before you start yapping about it.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:11 PM
The beast within

Also, if you are gullible enough to shell out $3500 to the dealer for a new transmission, then maybe A.Z. has not taught you anything. I don't see a disclaimer in other posts, so imo that simply means "at your own risk"
Be a gentleman about your opinion, not an ass.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Notice how I've not once called you any names? Yet you look to ask me to be the gentleman? Kiddo look at the names you're throwing around.

As for the $3500, that's what it's worth. If you get a cheap replacement for $2600 does that mean it's alright to throw $2600 away to test your theory? Clearly not. It doesn't matter if it's $2600 or $3500 the value of the tranny in your car as it comes from Acura is $3500.

You stated and I quote
That's a net 91-74k of 17K on an Acura tranny with Lucas oil.

If you followed what I stated son you would have read that I did not pay for a tranny, it was replaced under warranty and wrongfully so. That's not the point.

The point is, you're not old enough, smart enough, or experienced enough to make the grand statement that Lucas oil is perfectly safe for the honda tranny in our Acura TL's. Simple as that. I don't need to call you names for the facts to be the facts.

Next time you want to debate something, try not throwing out swear words. When you use them it tells me, and everyone else who will read your posts you have little to say that matters.

Correct, my spelling is sometimes off. That's comparing typos to design defects. Not really in the same ball park.

Stop being a winning child and address the issues I've raised.

disclaimer - I do generally dislike this poster for his/her ignorant and youthful opinion on Lucas Oils and Acura transmissions. I do not find him/her lacking as a person just lacking in other ways. (kindly a joke on your bad attitude).

Cheers big ears.

Rob
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not a bad day. Actually a very good day.

I guess my point is too many people, particularly kids, are coming here with GREAT ideas that are not tested stating them as though they are facts and/or proven concepts. 100K on the method is something I'm interested in knowing more about. Similarly I'm about 50K no on 87oc gas and I'll do a full write up on it in another 50K. I put my ideas out, debunked a few pieces of bad info and left it be. People can figure what they want.

Yeah, I should proof read this. These little boxes to type it make it hard sometimes and I miss things.

This and the oil thread from another youngin get me going. Bad ideas, bad information and poor delivery.
lmfao rob-2 owning these noobs.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Old 03-17-2009, 10:49 PM
The beast within

All a matter of opinion. I may only have 17k miles on Lucas, but that's still more than yourself rob-2.
I DO see where you are coming from, I do see your pov. I was hoping that you could actually come around & see it from my angle, but that's not happening.
Thank you for correcting me & from now on I'll be putting a disclaimer that it's my personal belief & experience. You speak as if you are old-er, but that doesn't necessarily make you wiser unfortunately, not in every sense at least. People are given the ability to reason precisely for what that implies. If you do not however use it & go off of other people, then that won't get you too far in life. I haven't stated any research or facts beyond my personal experience, so it is all very relative. There's no needed disclaimer if you simply understand what you are reading, & if not: Use Lucas Oil products at your own risk.
They've worked for me, but may not for you. Use at your own risk.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

All a matter of opinion. I may only have 17k miles on Lucas, but that's still more than yourself rob-2.
I DO see where you are coming from, I do see your pov. I was hoping that you could actually come around & see it from my angle, but that's not happening.
Thank you for correcting me & from now on I'll be putting a disclaimer that it's my personal belief & experience. You speak as if you are old-er, but that doesn't necessarily make you wiser unfortunately, not in every sense at least. People are given the ability to reason precisely for what that implies. If you do not however use it & go off of other people, then that won't get you too far in life. I haven't stated any research or facts beyond my personal experience, so it is all very relative. There's no needed disclaimer if you simply understand what you are reading, & if not: Use Lucas Oil products at your own risk.
They've worked for me, but may not for you. Use at your own risk.
Thank you for communicating without swear words.

I'm not wiser because of age nor am I claiming to be, I find the flaws in things. If lucas oil was the answer to Acura's trans problems they would be instructing dealers to switch to that product to avoid the costly warranties of their tranny. Acura eats every tranny they replace at no cost to the owner. So they are highly motivated to fix the problem.

Do you know what it costs to redesign something? Well they did that after the failures in the 5AT tranny to avoid future costs. If a simple oil change would have fixed it the smart folks at acura would have done that and offered an TL specific ATF. That's ultimately where my mind goes when you made these claims. I also know that it wasn't the oils fault for the failures, it was a design issue causing overheating which is hard to solve with a different oil. Unless Lucas oils have a thermodynamic property unlike other oils to remove heat it's really hard to suggest any improvement will be seen.

You're right, I don't have nor ever will put lucas product in my tranny. You have more experience. I trust we can both see that 17K however is no means to scream 'Mission Accomplished'.

Bookmark this and report back at 150K. I'd be interested to know where you're at.

Rob
Old 03-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Drifting

....Acura eats every tranny they replace at no cost to the owner...
Actually from reading the many posts on here about transmissions, they do NOT replace ALL of them at no cost to the owner, but share the cost with some.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Yea but its not a "Set" number. I had one go around 79k, one at 15k and 3 in between. One the fluid was changed at every oil change so fluid ws not a issue and it lasted 20something thousand miles. I have also seen like stated before many members get into the 150k+ and seen members have them fail leaving the dealer.

Actually from reading the many posts on here about transmissions, they do NOT replace ALL of them at no cost to the owner, but share the cost with some.
Hes talking about the ones they replace under warranty/good will. Of course its not all of them when there are people (many) that have paid to have them replaced
Old 03-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Acura's owners manual clearly states that the engine does not require nor need any additives, to the oil or gas, yet majority here have seafoamed, explain that? & why is that any better for your engine than Lucas products?
I've had an 84 SD & drove on Lucas ATF for 40k miles, as it was stated in my post. I have used Lucas products since my first car.
BUT everybody here have to make their own decision as to what they would do. Don't like it, don't do it. Do some reading before you start yapping about it.
Because acura "Does" recommend a fuel system cleaning and that is what seafoam does. Seafoam is used to clean.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM
Drifting

Yea but its not a "Set" number. I had one go around 79k, one at 15k and 3 in between. One the fluid was changed at every oil change so fluid ws not a issue and it lasted 20something thousand miles. I have also seen like stated before many members get into the 150k+ and seen members have them fail leaving the dealer.
I realize that it's not a specific mileage- was just recapping what I've read others have posted. That mileage seemed to come up more often than any other. I wonder about why yours failed with so few miles- maybe the rebuild wasn't done properly by the reman? Who knows.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
I find it interesting in reading everyone's comments, feedbacks, or personal experience as long as it is not affiliated with the subject. If it was not from users comments, feedbacks, or from a personal experence, I don't know how else one can find anything about the product unless you try it yourself. It would be more interesting if the comments come from a reliable source.

Have you seen the reviews of "As seen on TV" products? Most of them don't work. This will give everyone an idea.

I am sure either in this forum or any other forums any task you are performing from anyone's steps is at your own risk, even if the disclaimer was missing. I am sure the forum itself would have the disclaimer listed somewhere.

One thing I know the majority agree on is that the tranny failure is due to the lack of fluid passage, meaning lack of lubrication, leading to exessive wear and heat damage. Anything you can do to improve in these areas will prolong the tranny life.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:12 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
^^^^^ You're absolutely correct that our tranny failure is due to insufficient fluid flow. Even Acura acknowledged this fact.

There is an inherited fault in the tranny design. There is simply not enough fluid passageways inside the tranny block to carry away and dissipate all the deadly heat trapped deep inside the tranny.

You can start using whatever magical oil or fluid which claimed to work out there on the market, but the destructive heat is still trapped deep inside the tranny and slowly roasting the tranny clutches. The only way to prolong the tranny life is to extract the heat out from deep inside the tranny, through the tranny block.

So there is nothing we can use or do to prolong the tranny life, unless we start drilling around into the tranny block itself; and this is exactly what Acura did with the very latest batches of replacement trannies, paired with a reprogrammed PCM.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
^^^^^ You're absolutely correct that our tranny failure is due to insufficient fluid flow. Even Acura acknowledged this fact.

There is an inherited fault in the tranny design. There is simply not enough fluid passageways inside the tranny block to carry away and dissipate all the deadly heat trapped deep inside the tranny.

You can start using whatever magical oil or fluid which claimed to work out there on the market, but the destructive heat is still trapped deep inside the tranny and slowly roasting the tranny clutches. The only way to prolong the tranny life is to extract the heat out from deep inside the tranny, through the tranny block.

So there is nothing we can use or do to prolong the tranny life, unless we start drilling around into the tranny block itself; and this is exactly what Acura did with the very latest batches of replacement trannies, paired with a reprogrammed PCM.
I just had a trans replacement at 93k. Acura covered it at no cost. Does anyone know what exactly acura changed inside the remanufactured ones to help the problem?? I like to know how things tick.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

That's interesting- it would seem if it was just heat buildup that a trans. cooler would remedy it but I believe the mod(s) have said it does no good.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
That's interesting- it would seem if it was just heat buildup that a trans. cooler would remedy it but I believe the mod(s) have said it does no good.
Before you do any more speculation, please go to the Acura CL Transmission Recall Q&A sub-forum and read through all the stickies in there, especially (1) the over 1000 pages of Acura's investigative report (on the 2G tranny failure) as submitted to NHTSA and (2) EricL's superb attempt to try to summarize what's wrong with the 2G trannies.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-transmission-recall-q-55/

After you have gone through all the threads in there, you'll automatically become an expert in 2G tranny failure causes, tranny failure modes, and Acura's numerous stages of remedies/solutions/fixes.

Eventually you'll too realize that there is nothing we can do to prevent our 2G trannies from failing. Remember this. Honda/Acura designed, built, and fixed our crappy trannies, no one else outside Honda/Acura will know more about our crappy trannies than they do.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nstalr
I just had a trans replacement at 93k. Acura covered it at no cost. Does anyone know what exactly acura changed inside the remanufactured ones to help the problem?? I like to know how things tick.
More oil on the clutch packs.

Side Note - I think it's fairly clear if there was a simple solution ACURA would have found it. They are the experts and people come on here with solutions to problems they dont understand.

There's a big difference between sharing ideas/theories and telling people there is a solution to this problem. You need proof/evidence before you making claims.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
10th Gear

slick 50

I've noticed my tranny starting to shift a little hard, it have an 02 TL-S with a 'new' replaced tranny at about 56k. I am currently at 92K and was wondering if i should use slick 50 auto tranmission treatment.

If so should I drain some of my current ATF?

Lastly I have not been able to find any pictures that show me where i would use the slick50 (or top up ATF for that matter). I tried the search and all the posts i found jsut assumed the user knows how (sorry I'm a noob)
Old 04-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Have you been regular on your Honda ATF changes? Every 15K or 30k?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mr_smooth
I've noticed my tranny starting to shift a little hard, it have an 02 TL-S with a 'new' replaced tranny at about 56k. I am currently at 92K and was wondering if i should use slick 50 auto tranmission treatment.

If so should I drain some of my current ATF?

Lastly I have not been able to find any pictures that show me where i would use the slick50 (or top up ATF for that matter). I tried the search and all the posts i found jsut assumed the user knows how (sorry I'm a noob)
I wouldnt use any additives. Look in the DIY thread for the drain/fill instructions

Quick Reply: Extending the life of your transmission