engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010 | 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Exclamation engine mounts

hello hello dear acura crazies =)
i've had my 2002 tl-p for well over a year now. cars running great , tranny isn't slipping, but my engine mounts keep on breaking. i had changed my front mount(that one is still fine) 2 weeks after that i had to change my side engine mount ( this was a year ago .. exactly..) how often should engine mounts be changed?? and also what would cause them to go bad??
Old 07-03-2010 | 05:16 PM
Always Working In

Several members have said they only last 50-60k on the average. The mounts take alot of beating because of proper engine bracing. The only option I know of and heard of is stiff poly mounts.

How often are you changing them?
5 mounts - 3 for engine and 2 for transmission.

Front and rear are vacuum assisted on the engine to be soft when in idle and stiffen when engine's in high revs.
Old 07-03-2010 | 06:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by my.daily'tl'
Several members have said they only last 50-60k on the average. The mounts take alot of beating because of proper engine bracing. The only option I know of and heard of is stiff poly mounts.

How often are you changing them?
5 mounts - 3 for engine and 2 for transmission.

Front and rear are vacuum assisted on the engine to be soft when in idle and stiffen when engine's in high revs.
Thanks for letting me know that the rear is vacuum controlled and smooths idle. Because at idle I can feel my engine a little. I just replaced the front and side motor mount in march of this year. I'm looking into doing the rear mount soon.
Old 07-03-2010 | 08:00 PM
Team Owner

ck the rear mount for slight fluid leakage, when viewed from underneath
The front and rear are fluid filled and vac boosted (most years)

engine miss can occur with bad mount

OR
may be egr ports are due for cleaning-thats every 75 per fsttyyms1 our megamod with 350k miles on his TL,,
op is a new owner with 105..probably needs the normal things last owner was not aware of

the front mount breaks anywhere after 50, its not noticed so the side mount take abuse and its only a rubber mount- it fails
About that time the trans dies and a tech spots the bad mounts

our problem is lack of a torque bar on the engine
Someone is making one, but the test unit didnt clear a certain point and was sent back for more workup

those poly filled mounts are solid- so if you dont mind a race car ride~ it stops the breakage prob
But how are you driving if you break the same mount? must be a certain thing thats putting the hurt on them
Drag racing it already~?

Xlost- how are the spark plugs? pull a front if not sure- they were due a while ago
seafoam wont hurt either,, to cure miss and overall cleaning of stuff
a can thru half tank of gas and a can in the manifold vac port plus some thru TB air plate to clean from start to finish
Old 07-05-2010 | 05:44 PM
Intermediate

well so far i had to change side one twice and front one once... im thinking my back one is shot but not for sure >> where is no wire goin to my front engine mount..
would you say i should just change all of them ?
Old 07-05-2010 | 10:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lkoszela
well so far i had to change side one twice and front one once... im thinking my back one is shot but not for sure >> where is no wire goin to my front engine mount..
would you say i should just change all of them ?
there isnt a wire that goes to it. It has a vacuum tube that attaches to it.
Old 04-03-2011 | 11:02 PM
10th Gear

I have all 3 motor mounts and a tranny mount bad on my car. I noticed on an aftermarket motor mount, that the vacuum isn't available. I can't recall the exact terminology right now.. So I guess it's stiff all the time? I assume that is not a problem, but I'll have to plug the vacuum..