Electrical Problems Headlight/Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 12:33 AM
Advanced

Electrical Problems Headlight/Foglights

Well A Few Nights Ago I Was Visiting Las Vegas And My Set Of Fog Lights Went Out I Noticed That They Weren't On So I Checked My Switch To See If There Were Off But No They Were On I Also Noticed That The Fog Light Switch Light Was Not On. I Stopped To Grab Something To Eat And Noticed That My Low Beam Was Out And All Of The Rest Of The Lights Were On. I Was Confused At First Cause This All Happend In 10 Mintues.I Also Noticed That My High Beam Indicator Was On Not Complete Lit Up But Just Enough To See The Outline And Some Blue.i Changed The Fuse Cause I Noticed That It Was Burned So That Would Have Solved My Low Beam Problem But It Didnt The New Fuse Burned Within Seconds Of Being Put In. I Dont Know What To Do Any More. Any One Else Had This Problem?Also When I Turn On My High Beams My Hid Light Stays On. So High And Low Beams Are On The Same Time.

Problems.
  • Low Beam Out
  • Fuse Burnes Out
  • Foglights Out
  • Foglight Switch Out
  • Rest Of Lights Stay On
  • Highs And Lows On Togeather.
Old 05-11-2009 | 02:43 AM
Thread Police Chief

First may I make a suggestion? Don't take this wrong, but your style of typing of everything with a capitalized letter makes it very hard to read what you're saying, for some of us at least. thanks

Anyhow, it could be a number of issues. If your fogs are powered via a relay, as I would assume they should be, it's most likely not receiving power. However, since you're having so many issues at once with your lighting system, it is most likely all tied in together and is being caused by the same thing. Don't hold me to that, it just seems to me it probably is.

First help us out and let us know are these aftermarket fogs or OEM? What year as well. If they're aftermarket, or modified OEM's, how do you have them installed? This should help us a lot with figuring the problem out. Shouldn't be anything too complicated, at least hopefully it isn't....
Old 05-11-2009 | 08:27 AM
It's the Halladay season!

^ I can't tell where a sentence ends! lol

how many watts are the ballasts? I know there are 55W HID ballast out there, which draws more current, and can lead to the fuse being blown like in your case. I think generally people run 35W.
Old 05-11-2009 | 05:50 PM
Advanced

Ok sorry its just a habit
but anyways i have a hid foglight 3k and the ballast is 35w.
i have a 2002 TL
Old 05-11-2009 | 10:19 PM
Always Working In

Ok. Let me chime in here. I'm an electrician. Like a previous member stated, your fogs should be on a normally open relay if you want them to be on only when the low beams are on. Or you can run em off a constant 12 volt source and with a switch they'll run independently. The reason the fuse blows is because you have a short to ground somewhere or you're overloading the circuit. I don't know the current carrying capacity of the lighting system in our cars. I don't know if an added 70 watts of power would overload the circuit. But it also depends if you've powered em seperately or not. Now onto the low/high beam issue. I don't know if you are able to test switches and the wiring but I would think that's where the problem is. You're sending power to your lows when the highs are on. I would look there first.
Old 05-11-2009 | 10:23 PM
Always Working In

Also what fuse/fuses are blowing? And how are the fogs wired in? That would help someone with the diagnosis.
Old 05-12-2009 | 12:46 AM
Advanced

Well i havent touched the headlights or the fogs in like about 2 months this happen all of a sudden the fogs and head light were working good. the fuse that i saw was blown was the left headlight fuse
Old 05-12-2009 | 11:30 PM
Advanced

bump/
Old 09-04-2009 | 08:40 AM
1st Gear

did you ever solve the problem? My car actually has the same exact problem. It happened a couple days ago.