DVD Navigation error message

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Navigation error message

Ok - so I searched the threads... no one yell at the newbie, he followed protocall....

Didnt come up with what I needed to see. Seems most of the info is about errors with the Hard Disk of the '99s... I have a 2000 with the DVD and am currently running the 2.05b version disc. Every so often -normally during the initial start up - sometimes in mid process - My screen comes up with an error message about an "unformatted disc" ... Blue screen with a yellow box containing the message - no navigation action...
Sometimes it will just go away and fix itself, other times I have to turn the car off and back on to get it coerrected... Its quirky, not broken... I asked the dealer and they said I needed the updated Nav DVD - 2.06 or something now. Anyhow, I want the update, but honestly dont see how that would be the fix to the problem. Doesnt make sence to me. Can anyone enlighten me to a possible solution?
Thanks~~!

Benny C
Old 04-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clean the DVD reader, along with cleaning the DVD map disk.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawaia
Clean the DVD reader, along with cleaning the DVD map disk.
How do you clean the DVD reader? Can you use one of those DVD/CD lens cleaning discs?

Bob
Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Instructor

Thanks LAWAIA!

Ill give that a shot and see what comes of it.

BOB_F
Yes - go nab up a DVD cleaning disc and give it a run through on your drive. Im gonna give it a shot today and I will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by baddbenny

BOB_F
Yes - go nab up a DVD cleaning disc and give it a run through on your drive. Im gonna give it a shot today and I will let you know how it goes.
Thanks. I have a DVD/CD lens cleaning disc but it's the type where you need to play a particular track for cleaning. With the navigation system I don't see any way to play a particular track. So I'm not quite sure how that would work.

Good luck with your cleaning attempt! I'll be curious to see how it works out.

Bob
Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Thanks. I have a DVD/CD lens cleaning disc but it's the type where you need to play a particular track for cleaning. With the navigation system I don't see any way to play a particular track. So I'm not quite sure how that would work.

Good luck with your cleaning attempt! I'll be curious to see how it works out.

Bob

You pose a good point... I too recall that the last cleaner kit I used had a "track" you played to use the cleaner. Sooo... hmmm, I suppose I will have to ask about returning it if it doesnt meet my needs - hahahaaaa (evil laugh from the cheap-ass consumer)
We'll see - fingers crossed~
Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Instructor

well - I CANT find a disc that will clean my drive.... WHAT NEXT???

sorry to double post... odd...
Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Instructor

well - I cant find a disc that will clean my drive.... WHAT NEXT???
Old 11-04-2007, 02:57 PM
10th Gear

i have this problem too....
Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 AM
4th Gear

navigation error unformatted

I just installed a navigation system on a 02 tl. I got on ebay. my tl did not came with the navi. anyhow, after a long week of install. I ran to this problem. (unformatted)
Is the drive bad or the disc is not any good? I have the 2.30 disc black.
can anyone help me resolve this problem. Please.............
Old 02-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baddbenny
well - I cant find a disc that will clean my drive.... WHAT NEXT???
Hey, were you ever able to resolve this problem ? I had/have the same problem too.

I got a DVD drive cleaner from Walmart and forced it into my Acura's DVD drive. The cleaner spinned for a little while and then I took it out.

Now, the drive seems to be working alright, but I have not tested it thoroughly.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gshantanu
Hey, were you ever able to resolve this problem ? I had/have the same problem too.

I got a DVD drive cleaner from Walmart and forced it into my Acura's DVD drive. The cleaner spinned for a little while and then I took it out.

Now, the drive seems to be working alright, but I have not tested it thoroughly.
What the brand and model number on that WalMart DVD drive cleaner?

Do the instructions mention selection of a particular track on the disc?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

It was a Philips CD/DVD lens cleaner. No real model number mentioned. It was the only Philips cleaner there..The instructions did require selection of a particular track. But of course, I could not do that with Acura DVD drive.

As far as I understand, these cleaners just have brushes that need to go over the lens of the drive a couple of times. I assume that took place when I inserted the cleaner DVD into the drive. Also please be aware that I have not tested it thoroughly, I am going to put my navigation unit on/off multiple times today to make sure the thing actually worked. Will put the update here...
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Drifting

It was a Philips CD/DVD lens cleaner. No real model number mentioned. It was the only Philips cleaner there..The instructions did require selection of a particular track. But of course, I could not do that with Acura DVD drive.

As far as I understand, these cleaners just have brushes that need to go over the lens of the drive a couple of times. I assume that took place when I inserted the cleaner DVD into the drive. Also please be aware that I have not tested it thoroughly, I am going to put my navigation unit on/off multiple times today to make sure the thing actually worked. Will put the update here...
Thanks for the information. I think I bought the same Philips laser lens cleaner from WalMart. The disc itself doesn't have a model number on it but the cardboard packaging has "PH62022" in small print on the front and back. The disc itself is white and blue with a Philips label on the left a "Laser lens cleaner" label in the center.

I tried to use that without any success on a TL navigation DVD unit but that unit turned out to be defective. (Lens cleaning wouldn't have helped even it it worked.)
Old 02-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob_F
Thanks for the information. I think I bought the same Philips laser lens cleaner from WalMart. The disc itself doesn't have a model number on it but the cardboard packaging has "PH62022" in small print on the front and back. The disc itself is white and blue with a Philips label on the left a "Laser lens cleaner" label in the center.

I tried to use that without any success on a TL navigation DVD unit but that unit turned out to be defective. (Lens cleaning wouldn't have helped even it it worked.)
My attempts failed as well. I switched on my car about 10 times today and in 30% of the cases the incorrect disc error message appeared. Is there some way to know if the DVD unit is defective ?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Drifting

My attempts failed as well. I switched on my car about 10 times today and in 30% of the cases the incorrect disc error message appeared. Is there some way to know if the DVD unit is defective ?
Other than sending it off to Alpine for repair, I don't know of any sure way to find out.

Im my case, I bought another one and that one works perfectly.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for your reply, I guess I'll do that as well.