Do I need a new Transmittion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a new Transmittion?

Hello,

So beginning about 1 week ago i was driving to school and i felt the engine jump everytime the car tryed to switch gears and also when i came to a dead stop. I noticed this accuring only when the car is on for about 30 mins+ does anybody have any idea what it could be?

ask me questions if you need to i'll be back monday morning to answer them so i could get to the bottom of this problem. In the mean time the car is now at Aamco getting looked at.

if it is a transmittion problem and i'll need a new one how do i go about shopping for one?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Hi- been a while since we have seen you here!

first- does the car have `clear title`- meaning not a `salvage` or `rebuilt` title?
and what year TL ?
We have a special 7 year+9 months from the date sold new off the lot, or 109,000 miles (some get 114.500, if part of odometer error VIN range cars) whichever occures first
The court case ordered it!

Do you qualify so far?

After aamco, then go to acura and drop it off for diagnosis and warranty replacement.

If you are a tiny bit over the limits- acura will work with you and get a trans for the same price or better than aa rebuilding your current one
At acura they have a place that gets all the old warranty returns- takes them apart- saves and recycles the good metal gears.
A new outer case is used with better oil flow passages inside- helps our problem but doesnt cure it.
If you are not sure about date sold originally call acura 1-800-382-2238 x5
Also need to see if the OIL JET RECALL was ever done- acura 800 will know
if not- that may net you a warranty trans~
Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Advanced

Hii!
Thanks for remembering me lol My car is a 99 with about 119,000 miles on it. I called the # to see when the car was sold new off the lot and they told me to call back during normal business hours.

I beleive my car has a "clear title" it only had 1 owner before me and i had the car since 04.

Hmmm, so what do you think the jumping of the engine could be a result of?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

first- does the car have `clear title`- meaning not a `salvage` or `rebuilt` title?
and what year TL ?
We have a special 7 year+9 months from the date sold new off the lot, or 109,000 miles (some get 114.500, if part of odometer error VIN range cars) whichever occures first

Do you qualify so far?

After aamco, then go to acura and drop it off for diagnosis and warranty replacement.

If you are a tiny bit over the limits- acura will work with you and get a trans for the same price or better than aa rebuilding your current one
At acura they have a place that gets all the old warranty returns- takes them apart- saves and recycles the good metal gears.
A new outer case is used with better oil flow passages inside- helps our problem but doesnt cure it.

So i got the call back from Aamco and they said they wat 450 to take the engine apart becuase its an internal problem. can anybody elaborate on that? I love cars and learning about them but im not an expert.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:17 PM
4th Gear

Jennifer:
Sounds lie Aamco gave you a nice quote but did not bother to tell you what was involved. Not a great sign.
I used to work in Lawrenceville and had my car serviced at Precision Acura on Route 1. Good people and they always gave me the straight scoop. Free Coffee too ;-)
They will be able to check the Trans warrantees and if over they may be able to do some good will work on it to keep you as a customer.
I had a lot of Transmission work done (under warranty) on my 99 TL but I had problems before it hit 75 K. They may be able to give you the engine codes or transmission codes that some of the more seasoned members of this site can give you more critical information to point you in the right direction.
Not to slam Aamco, the people at Precision are just more experienced with the car.
I hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jennifer,
Is AAMCO saying they need to go into the engine or transmission? Is the "Jumping" of the engine a bad motor mount? If I remember correctly from some other posts, the cost of the expensive mount is several hundred dollars and labor a few hours. That would add up to around $400.
When you posted a few months ago it was about getting the Timing Belt replaced, I'll assume that was done, and perhaps a mount wasn't re-installed correctly.

Miner
Old 10-12-2008, 05:51 PM
2G wanting 3G

pop the hood and have someone standing outside your car, do a break torque(left foot hard on break, right foor gas) and if the motor moves more than it should thats a motor mount. when the car is shifting gears and you can feel it slightly rev(slightly) and then BOOM kick in, maybe to the point you burn some rubber(kinda like a neutral drop) thats gonna be a new tranny.
had both issues on my 99, good luck, hope i'm wrong for your sake.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Inspired

and what year TL ?

Do you qualify so far?

so this means that it will resist longer but its not 100% cured?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Team Owner

the problem inside our trans is a space limitation- not enough room for big enough clutch packs disc, and not enough oiling internally (better since 05 replacements had change in passages) and other issues I am not aware of

A rebuild by a competent, EXPERIENCED WITH TL transmission shop, can replace the worn out parts, and it will last another 50-100k miles. Thats not bad considering other cars trans fail at 50 and you throw the car away
Or you may be able to make a `match price deal` at acura for the same price ~2800, and get their rebuilt transmission with a warranty on it too

AAmco likely want 450 to remove the trans and open it up to see what is bad inside.
If they cant honestly say - we have done 20 of these and typically it comes to 2600-2800 total out the door,,,then take the car away from there NOW
All they shuold have done was drive around the block, hook up the code scanner and see if any trans or other codes showing, and report back to you.

The dealer will say its 100 dollar diagnosis- they dont charge that if you work a deal and have them install trans- diagnosis fee is a legal issue that allows them to work on your car with your approval- and it protects them from customer who wantrs diagnosis of odd problems- then goes down the street to joe cheaps shop and tells them what to do.
The dealer spent time finding a prob the deserve to be paid for the time.

Engine jump- you mean the car had to be jump started? no sweat
Just remember to put the NEG cable connection to the shock tower bolt on YOUR car,
if there is a problem in your cars system- like a short in the battery itself--
it protects both cars- no direct connection battery to battery

That applies to all cars- good car- both cables connected to battery
dead car- pos to battery- neg to ground point on the car body
Old 10-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Check Sodaluvr's recent post about rebuilt trannies if it turns out you need one.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:41 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do you feel the car jerk or it jumps? Are there any lights on the dash? I remember seeing the engine and TCS lights on before my 99 tranny went on me.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TX-Miner
Jennifer,
Is AAMCO saying they need to go into the engine or transmission? Is the "Jumping" of the engine a bad motor mount? If I remember correctly from some other posts, the cost of the expensive mount is several hundred dollars and labor a few hours. That would add up to around $400.
When you posted a few months ago it was about getting the Timing Belt replaced, I'll assume that was done, and perhaps a mount wasn't re-installed correctly.

Miner

they said they needed to go into the transmission but no not a motor mount problem becuase i jus had 2 of them replaced and my dad checked the others for me!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Advanced

the problem inside our trans is a space limitation- not enough room for big enough clutch packs disc, and not enough oiling internally (better since 05 replacements had change in passages) and other issues I am not aware of

A rebuild by a competent, EXPERIENCED WITH TL transmission shop, can replace the worn out parts, and it will last another 50-100k miles. Thats not bad considering other cars trans fail at 50 and you throw the car away
Or you may be able to make a `match price deal` at acura for the same price ~2800, and get their rebuilt transmission with a warranty on it too

AAmco likely want 450 to remove the trans and open it up to see what is bad inside.
If they cant honestly say - we have done 20 of these and typically it comes to 2600-2800 total out the door,,,then take the car away from there NOW
All they shuold have done was drive around the block, hook up the code scanner and see if any trans or other codes showing, and report back to you.

The dealer will say its 100 dollar diagnosis- they dont charge that if you work a deal and have them install trans- diagnosis fee is a legal issue that allows them to work on your car with your approval- and it protects them from customer who wantrs diagnosis of odd problems- then goes down the street to joe cheaps shop and tells them what to do.
The dealer spent time finding a prob the deserve to be paid for the time.

Engine jump- you mean the car had to be jump started? no sweat
Just remember to put the NEG cable connection to the shock tower bolt on YOUR car,
if there is a problem in your cars system- like a short in the battery itself--
it protects both cars- no direct connection battery to battery

That applies to all cars- good car- both cables connected to battery
dead car- pos to battery- neg to ground point on the car body

Yeah all they had to do was hook the reader to my car and read the codes! I ended up taking it to another place and they read the codes p0420 and p0474 they told me to get the oxygen sensor replaced and if after that the p0474 code comes back on then bring it back. So i have been looking for parts today i mean prices for the parts...best i found is 147.99 now im not sure if the lower bank 1 sensor is up stream or down stream? I believe its Up stream?? One of the parts place asked me that.

No the car didnt need to be jumped , the engine actual jumps when the car switches gears....
and as far as joes cheap shop LOL i took it to a place called joes transmission LOL i thought that was funny when i saw you mention "joes" anyway get back to me!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FuriousSam
Do you feel the car jerk or it jumps? Are there any lights on the dash? I remember seeing the engine and TCS lights on before my 99 tranny went on me.

Arggg yea both CEL and TCS lights came on an auto shop read my codes which came out as p0420 and p0474
Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 AM
2G wanting 3G

just my two cent but like i said i've had my tranny and motor mount(left?) replaced. and the 'jumping' from the mis-shifts of the tranny are what i believe lead to my crappy motor mount. i hope you can get this fixed soon.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Not discrediting what you already said, but have the motor mounts checked! if they are bad, your engine itself will literally jump up a few inches.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Team Owner

jennifer
have your dad remove the external trans selenoids and clean them- they have like a screen inside that gets dirty
That has kept some ziners on the road in recent post, but its not a cure.
If the prob keeps up after that, you know what it needs and
Joe the plumber is not a licensed plumber, and his real is name Steve!-
so joes trasnsmission has NEVER seen a tiptronic
Most shops havnt, and get in way over their head, so you get it rebuilt 3 times by them and its still no good

If acura will price match their rebuilt to aamco doing yours- ~ $2500-2800 -go for it
Times are lean, and a sale with some profit, is better than no work at all!
Ask aamco for a diagnosis and price

DO NOT buy any parts yet!!- these codes are CLUES- not direct tell of the real problem
Unless your car has exhaust that smells funny-the mileage has dropped recently in a major way--then your O2 sensors are fine- just a false code
Old 10-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Team Owner

then to acura for same thing- the diagnosis feee can get incorporated into the deal for a replacement trans

their scanner is way better, and reads codes that cheap ones cant

Speak with the Service Manager - they have authority to talk to acura about a discount from Corp level, or Service talks with parts manager to see what they can do- its parts dept takes the loss of profit on the trans - service still gets 500 for labor 4 hours -

Given choice of rebuild a 99 or get acura's freshened up- with new case- and all the secret and public updates---
do we need an Economics Major to figure this one out?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
....Given choice of rebuild a 99 or get acura's freshened up- with new case- and all the secret and public updates---
do we need an Economics Major to figure this one out?
But, I've read numerous posts stating that the 99's transm. is a better unit-
Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by totaledTL
But, I've read numerous posts stating that the 99's transm. is a better unit-
Better or not, there's still problems with them.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Team Owner

the 4 speed 99 trans is ok
My bad for not being clear- I dont know if any 99s got the 5 speed- which has overcrowding and over temp problems inside

there are problems with everything mechanical- some are easy fix,,,
some are the result of ading HP and demanding more from the same parts....

Be glad you dont have to repair the Hubble Telescope!