Cruise Control/TCS Switch does nothing

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 08:32 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise Control/TCS Switch does nothing

I’m new to this forum, so please spare me id I’ve missed some threads regarding this issue. I have a 2003 TL-S with 240k on the odo. Since I’ve bought the car, I haven’t been able to get the switch to respond to turn off traction control or turn on cruise control. I’ve tried a different switch and still nothing. Is there a thread that I missed when researching this that someone could link me? Or is this a known problem of some kind?

Also i’m not sure if it’s related or not (very well could be), but I’m throwing a code for a knock sensor aswell. I’ve inspected the subharness and am on my third sensor and still nothing. Any ideas?

(Ive attached a few pictures of my car incase anyone’s interested)

Thanks all
Old 10-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by carti.ua5
Since I’ve bought the car, I haven’t been able to get the switch to respond to turn off traction control or turn on cruise control. I’ve tried a different switch and still nothing.
Search the 2G TL forum for the pdf download service manual it will help you with any problem, especially ones involving diagnosis.

The page below is the cruise component location index for the 2G CL; however, it should be similar to your 2G TL.
As you can see, there are a lot of components and you may need to 'test' one or all to find your issue, that's why it would be wise to find the service manual to follow the test methodology indicated.

Originally Posted by carti.ua5
Also i’m not sure if it’s related or not (very well could be), but I’m throwing a code for a knock sensor aswell. I’ve inspected the subharness and am on my third sensor and still nothing. Any ideas?
Once again, the below is from the CL service manual and may help diagnose your knock sensor issue:

Good Luck.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:56 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zeta
Search the 2G TL forum for the pdf download service manual it will help you with any problem, especially ones involving diagnosis.

The page below is the cruise component location index for the 2G CL; however, it should be similar to your 2G TL.
As you can see, there are a lot of components and you may need to 'test' one or all to find your issue, that's why it would be wise to find the service manual to follow the test methodology indicated.

Once again, the below is from the CL service manual and may help diagnose your knock sensor issue:

Good Luck.

Thank you! I’ll check it out first thing tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:21 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts
carrti.ua5,

Make sure the switch on the left side of the dash is on. The cruise control is tied into the brake switch, Check to make sure the brake lights function correctly both on an off. If they are on all the time check for a black plastic plug that touches the brake switch when the pedal is released, Once the brake pedal is released it makes a connection through the brake switch, if the brake switch is not adjusted correctly the cruise control won't work and the brake lights can be on all the time. Does the light on the dash that says cruise control light up? If not, it is probably the switch. I was making a how to guide on this but got distracted I will see if I can find it and complete it .The brake lights can still work and the cruise control portion of the switch can be bad. You can try seeing if pulling back on the brake pedal (with your foot) when trying to engage the cruise control allows the light to come on. The car must be moving at least 25 MPH for the cruise control to come on.

Also check the cabling that is going to the cruise control actuator in the front passenger side of the engine. Open the lid and check to make sure the cable is connected. Check the end on the throttle body, if the black plastic is cracked or broken the cable will not move and thus no cruise control.

The items above are the two most common reasons why the cruise control stops working.
Do you have a copy of the service manual?