Car won't move forward in any gear. Axle or tranny? 6MT CLS motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts
Car won't move forward in any gear. Axle or tranny? 6MT CLS motor

Ok, so a few things to start off. Earlier this week my passenger side tire wouldn't hold pressure and was remaining deflated and I noticed it after work. This has happened before once because since I lowered my car I haven't got an alignment so I know it wears bad on the tires because of this and I know its my fault haha. But, I went to the gas station to pump air the first day it happened and it was fine for a week.

The next week, (today) the tire remained flat and I had to drive it to my house to change out the wheels. Since the tire shop I go to was closed today (Sunday) I decided to swap another rim to ride on until tomorrow. I put on an 18" RX8 wheel for the passenger side and I have 17" TSX for the remaining 3 wheels. I also raised the front of my car up slightly to fit the 18" wheel without rubbing. After installing the wheel about a mile out from my house I'm driving and I hear a pop and a ridiculously loud grind and at first I thought my tire had popped or that I was scraping on uneven road cause it felt like it which is normal when driving low. I pulled over and the tires were fine but when I tried to move the car forward again in first gear it wouldnt move and just grinded continuously very loudly. I tried to move it in all gears even reverse and...nothing. Just grinding. It sounded like the axle area so I checked it out and it seems the driver side axle is out of center from the tranny because there is play when I pulled it to make sure it wasn't loose. And its only the driver side. So I haven't had time to work on it since then I just had it towed back so I can hopefully get some work done to try and fix it but does anyone have input?

Pretty frustrated and just looking for some input and other opinions? Probably going to mess with the axle tomorrow and see if I can realign it and if that doesn't work then hopefully its not too big of a problem. Any input would be appreciated thanks guys!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
I'll ship you a free axle if you help me with my swap =]

Doing same build as you.

Hopefully it's just the axle. If the inner seal is damaged in the trans house, ugh...
Old 08-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
this is why you dont run different size rims
it puts strain on the differential

thats why the mini size spare has a 55mph-- and 50 miles use --limit!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
was there a puncture in tire prob?
or was excess heat from a bad bearing or caliper sticking causing tire bead to separate and allow air to escape?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Karanx7
I'll ship you a free axle if you help me with my swap =]

Doing same build as you.

Hopefully it's just the axle. If the inner seal is damaged in the trans house, ugh...
just pm me if you have any questions. id be glad to help if i can.

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
was there a puncture in tire prob?
or was excess heat from a bad bearing or caliper sticking causing tire bead to separate and allow air to escape?
no there wasn't a puncture, it just wore it out really fast and the wires started showing from the tires. also at the gas station you could hear the air escaping when i tried to pump air into it and it wouldnt hold past 30 psi. also, if i turn on the car and release the clutch all the way in 1st gear the car doesn't move or stall, same with the other gears. just grinding. i'm about to head to work but once i get off i'm gonna take another look and hopefully try and realign the axle. Also, i'm not sure if it could be the tranny because i can still row the gears successfully and i can watch the tranny engage the gears from the engine bay too so hopefully that eliminates a tranny problem, but i don't know for sure yet.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You better hope that the axle some how popped out. But having said that NEVER run different sized wheels on the drive axle side. You can DESTROY a differential very quickly. Especially a LSD style.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
i had some what same problem about year ago. When i put my TL into 1st gear an started rolling it started make very loud grinding noise out from no where. I stop car call tow truck an got to my boy shop. Find out it was just the axle. I can ask him detail tomorrow on what happen. I know it was just $80 fix
Old 08-15-2012, 03:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by freeaTLast
Ok, so a few things to start off. Earlier this week my passenger side tire wouldn't hold pressure and was remaining deflated and I noticed it after work. This has happened before once because since I lowered my car I haven't got an alignment so I know it wears bad on the tires because of this and I know its my fault haha. But, I went to the gas station to pump air the first day it happened and it was fine for a week.

The next week, (today) the tire remained flat and I had to drive it to my house to change out the wheels. Since the tire shop I go to was closed today (Sunday) I decided to swap another rim to ride on until tomorrow. I put on an 18" RX8 wheel for the passenger side and I have 17" TSX for the remaining 3 wheels. I also raised the front of my car up slightly to fit the 18" wheel without rubbing. After installing the wheel about a mile out from my house I'm driving and I hear a pop and a ridiculously loud grind and at first I thought my tire had popped or that I was scraping on uneven road cause it felt like it which is normal when driving low. I pulled over and the tires were fine but when I tried to move the car forward again in first gear it wouldnt move and just grinded continuously very loudly. I tried to move it in all gears even reverse and...nothing. Just grinding. It sounded like the axle area so I checked it out and it seems the driver side axle is out of center from the tranny because there is play when I pulled it to make sure it wasn't loose. And its only the driver side. So I haven't had time to work on it since then I just had it towed back so I can hopefully get some work done to try and fix it but does anyone have input?

Pretty frustrated and just looking for some input and other opinions? Probably going to mess with the axle tomorrow and see if I can realign it and if that doesn't work then hopefully its not too big of a problem. Any input would be appreciated thanks guys!

You should (and everyone else) should watch this.

The following users liked this post:
HairyMonkey019 (09-06-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
sounds like the axle.

when mine snapped, the car still rolled in park though.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AznWay
i had some what same problem about year ago. When i put my TL into 1st gear an started rolling it started make very loud grinding noise out from no where. I stop car call tow truck an got to my boy shop. Find out it was just the axle. I can ask him detail tomorrow on what happen. I know it was just $80 fix
This happened to me today. This exact scenario. It's at the shop now. I'll know more Monday. Praying for a cheap fix b/c if it's the trans it could be game over.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:38 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axel snap good to know!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You should (and everyone else) should watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc
wow, thanks for posting this.
easy to understand, and more things learned on Azine
Old 08-15-2015, 03:12 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 acura rl makes horrible grinding noise in any gear

Hi i have a 1996 acura rl 3.5 and yesterday i was at astoplight and when the light turned green i put i put my foot on the gas and there was this loud almost popping sound and the d4 made an awful grinding sound. I tried downshifting and the same noise. It does it in every gear including reverse. I was able to push it safely off the road but im not too sure what the problem could be. Im hoping its bot the transmission. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-17-2015, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheree Steffens
Hi i have a 1996 acura rl 3.5 and yesterday i was at astoplight and when the light turned green i put i put my foot on the gas and there was this loud almost popping sound and the d4 made an awful grinding sound. I tried downshifting and the same noise. It does it in every gear including reverse. I was able to push it safely off the road but im not too sure what the problem could be. Im hoping its bot the transmission. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
You probably have a stripped extension shaft or actually worse the input on the trans side is ruined. We had an 02 RL and same thing happened. Went to take off at a light and a loud pop with no gears. The extension shaft ties the trans to the differential. There is a special grease on the splines that go into the trans. Ours had dried up/moisture must have intruded and it turned into a rust colored paste. Unfortunately instead of the $100 shaft splines being softer metal, the female side at the trans winds up stripping. We had to get a used trans and have it swapped in. Only good thing is that gen trans is cheap at local yards

Last edited by MarcDavidoff; 08-17-2015 at 10:16 PM.