Bucking? skipping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:20 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucking? skipping?

i have an O3 TL, with 169,000 miles on it. no major problems to date, service record impeccable.

problem i experience is when i accelerate at low speeds (under 40mph) at times (not all the time) i get a sputtering or bucking under the hood. once i get over 40mph it disappears. this only lasts a few seconds and wont occur if i accelerate fast.

i doubt if it's the tranny as it shifts like it should.

wondering if anyone else has any ideas

thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by athome250
i have an O3 TL, with 169,000 miles on it. no major problems to date, service record impeccable.

problem i experience is when i accelerate at low speeds (under 40mph) at times (not all the time) i get a sputtering or bucking under the hood. once i get over 40mph it disappears. this only lasts a few seconds and wont occur if i accelerate fast.

i doubt if it's the tranny as it shifts like it should.

wondering if anyone else has any ideas

thanks

first off WELCOME....
and that sputtering sir would be ur tranny...mine does it also...between 2nd and 3rd gear is when it does it..i use the SS mode alot now so i dnt feel that...
Old 11-28-2008, 03:44 PM
3rd Gear

whats the ss mode?

whats the ss mode?
Old 11-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Keep It Simple in

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by athome250
whats the ss mode?
Sport Shift.
Its basically a wannabe version of a manual car.
You take your shifter and pull it to the left when its on D5.Then you can push up or down to change gears.

I had that same problem as well. But after I installed my UR pulley it went away. I still know it was the tranny but now its gone.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZEUS'O3TL
first off WELCOME....
and that sputtering sir would be ur tranny...mine does it also...between 2nd and 3rd gear is when it does it..i use the SS mode alot now so i dnt feel that...
I am having the same issue. Further, I have had cases of delayed reverse gear engagement. Zeus, did you get your transmission checked?

I am just trying to find out if I can ignore this issue for some more time...

thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Doubt its the tranny. Its my understanding that when the tranny goes, you will have lights come on (including a flashing "D5 indicator) and you will KNOW its the tranny.

Sounds like a simialar problem I have noticed since I got mine at 60K (now at 135K). I think its more of the differential locking/unlocking when it shouldn't be. Since its hard to tell when it does it, its pointless to take it in anywhere. I believe it is a common "problem", but have never heard of anyone needing to fix anything. Just leave it alone. (if this is like my problem)
Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by Sust Man
Doubt its the tranny. Its my understanding that when the tranny goes, you will have lights come on (including a flashing "D5 indicator) and you will KNOW its the tranny.

Sounds like a simialar problem I have noticed since I got mine at 60K (now at 135K). I think its more of the differential locking/unlocking when it shouldn't be. Since its hard to tell when it does it, its pointless to take it in anywhere. I believe it is a common "problem", but have never heard of anyone needing to fix anything. Just leave it alone. (if this is like my problem)
Wrong....when u feel anything like that u should take it in to the dealer and have them take it for a spin...like Tom has said..once u take it in they will have record of u diagnosing the problem so that when it does happen they have it on record...then maybe u get a free tranny.....
Old 12-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I am actually already out of official warranty period, so even a dealer diagnosis is going to cost money (~120). I might go for it if the problem aggravates.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZEUS'O3TL
Wrong....when u feel anything like that u should take it in to the dealer and have them take it for a spin...like Tom has said..once u take it in they will have record of u diagnosing the problem so that when it does happen they have it on record...then maybe u get a free tranny.....
Really? Generally when our trannys go, you get one or a combo of warning lights/slipping/harsh shifting/erratic shifting. Never heard of "bucking or skipping" although this can be a symptom for a variety of fuel, ignition, or differential type problems, among others. Am I really WRONG? Are you WRONG?
Neither of us have seen his car. We are both offering our opinions based on limited info. Well actually, you did say "that sputtering IS your tranny", so maybe you did see his car. I was giving him my personal experience, as my symptoms could easily be described much like his.

Last edited by Sust Man; 12-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys i have the same problem. under light acceleration my car skips like the tires are bouncing and when you let the gas goes it does away. I don't think its a tranny problem because the problem comes and go. I check just about everything i could with the car. One thing I found that might need replacement is the belt tensioner it is hopping as i gas the car when parked. let me know what you find out about your that way we can track this problem together.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
i get the same thing - its normal at slow speeds. but if it gets any different than it is now or any worse then ur tranny is starting to go. its a lack of oil to the some of the clutches, when u start up and drive off - put it in ss and accelerate normal but keep it in 2nd gear till about 4500 rpm slowly and normal. that will get the oil moving around and should keep the bucking down. dont goose the gas when ur doing this.

see if this helps
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

This problem is kind of annoying whenever it happens and am keeping a close watch. I'll try what you have recommended, will this temporarily fix this issue? or I have to start driving in the SS now onwards...?

If it worsens, I'll just go ahead with the tranny inspection.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gshantanu
This problem is kind of annoying whenever it happens and am keeping a close watch. I'll try what you have recommended, will this temporarily fix this issue? or I have to start driving in the SS now onwards...?

If it worsens, I'll just go ahead with the tranny inspection.
If your having delayed reverse engagement, id just go ahead and take it in. If the trannys goin out than doing this little trick may buy a LITTLE time or cut down on the symptoms temporarily, but if you have to do that you might as well have it checked.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Update on my possible tranny problem: I haven't yet got it inspected from Acura (I am lazy and cheap).

This is what I observe, even when I use the SS (the problem happens in the D5 as well). When the car is in the 4th gear, and speed is about 30 mph, I see my rpm is unstable and moves b/w ~1.3 to 2. It doesn't shoot up obscenely high, but it doesn't stay put either. All this while, I keep a constant pressure on the accelerator pedal. I haven't really seen a change in gear during this..at least not on the SS dash indicator.

If I go to higher speeds, say 40-50mph, I don't notice this issue.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are all your engine mounts good?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rob-2
Are all your engine mounts good?
I would have to say I am not sure. I do not hear any major noise/vibration from my engine.

Is there some simple way to check engine mounts? Perhaps I can do a quick search on the forum to see how to do this.

Also, I am inclined to suspect my tranny because of the occasional delayed (2-3 seconds) reverse gear engagement.

Apart from these two indications, there is no problem that I notice.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
This sounds familiar, wait it is, my car does the EXACT same thing.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
i used to have the problem in my 02tl-s but now i dont

bc i dont have a 3rd grear