Bottomed Out my car

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottomed Out my car

Well I'm not so sure if I bottomed out my car literally but I did find 3 Cuts on the Plastic piece that covers a portion of the sub frame on the inner side of my front-right tire.

The 3 cut marks on that plastic piece looks like it was pre made like that in stock form

If any of you know what I'm talking about, please let me know if those cut marks are suppose to be there or not. thanks in advance.

Heres the Story:

Well.. tonight i was driving home and I didn't notice that the road was being repaved and I ran over a 2 inche high repaved tarmac with a metal plate on it.

My TL-S is lower om Apexi WS coilovers with 1 finger gap all around. so as I ran over it going about 40km/hr, my front-right tire and suspension made a loud bang.

I'm guessing the sound could have been the Bump-Stop from my shock or it can be the bottom of my car bottoming out.

I know I'm gonna need an alignment now, but luckily my stock michelins didn't get any bubbles or anything.

If I had 19 or 18 inche wheels, I would bet that my Rims would be badly dented.

Anyways I hope that hitting the bump stop will not blow my shocks, and I hope that those cut marks are suppose to be on that plastic piece.

Sorry for the long typing.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:01 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Probably the upper control arm hitting the shock tower. What kind of a camber kit do you have? If it's SPC, then you will probably find a nice dent on the shock towers.

Mine has bottomed out several times already and both shock towers have dents from the camber kit bolt hitting the towers.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:57 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Probably the upper control arm hitting the shock tower. What kind of a camber kit do you have? If it's SPC, then you will probably find a nice dent on the shock towers.

Mine has bottomed out several times already and both shock towers have dents from the camber kit bolt hitting the towers.
is there a solution to this problem?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by yunginTL
is there a solution to this problem?
1. Don't lower it too much.
2. Switch to Ingalls.

In other words, no.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:05 PM
trill recognize trill

1. Don't lower it too much.
2. Switch to Ingalls.

In other words, no.
that BLOWS...why switch to ingalls?
Old 11-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha sucks for u, bottomed mine out wit stock ride rofl
Old 11-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by yunginTL
that BLOWS...why switch to ingalls?
Because their front camber kit replaces the entire upper control arm with a slide camber plate built in. Compared to the SPC kit, which is a ball-joint type with a big nut on the top to hold it in, it provides more clearance between the UCA and the shock towers. Of course, it costs more, too. Nearly double, if I remember right.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:48 PM
trill recognize trill

Because their front camber kit replaces the entire upper control arm with a slide camber plate built in. Compared to the SPC kit, which is a ball-joint type with a big nut on the top to hold it in, it provides more clearance between the UCA and the shock towers. Of course, it costs more, too. Nearly double, if I remember right.
damn i made a mistake buying this SPC front camber kit, what is the model # for the ingalls?

and for the rear would ingalls or spc matteR?
Old 11-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Dragging knees in

The rear works the same way, really. I haven't had any problems with those.

From the Ingalls web site, for the TL/CL/Accord application --

http://www.ingallseng.com/parts/39201-39204.htm

39203 for Left, 39204 for Right, MSRP of $273.16 per side.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for the Late reply.

I don't have any camber kits.

I'm just lowered with 1 finger gap all around on Apexi WS coilovers.

I'm still driving my car aggressively at times to test my front suspension but they seem to corner just fine around the corners.

Is there any way to check if my shocks are leaking or not?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:14 AM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man that sucks what happened, sounds like it was a pretty bad slam into that metal plate. Those situations suck for anyone, but being dropped you could incur sound pretty bad damage. You might want to just bring your car to a shop and get a little maintenance done(i.e. oil change, coolant chage, etc.) and have them check your front end. Most shops will do that for free. Or bring it to a reputable suspension oriented performance shop and have them check it for you. If either say something is wrong and it is evident to you that there is a problem, post what they said was wrong here and I am sure guys like pure adrenaline will help you out. Good luck bro!
Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sbuswell
Man that sucks what happened, sounds like it was a pretty bad slam into that metal plate. Those situations suck for anyone, but being dropped you could incur sound pretty bad damage. You might want to just bring your car to a shop and get a little maintenance done(i.e. oil change, coolant chage, etc.) and have them check your front end. Most shops will do that for free. Or bring it to a reputable suspension oriented performance shop and have them check it for you. If either say something is wrong and it is evident to you that there is a problem, post what they said was wrong here and I am sure guys like pure adrenaline will help you out. Good luck bro!
hmmm seems like the situation is more serious than I thought.

I hope it was just my bump-stop from my shock that made that loud bang when I hit that bump on the road. I better not have damaged anything Or I'm gonna have to get the gov't to re-imburse me for damages.

I don't know why the hell they would pave the road like that with about a 2.5 - 3 inche bump right on a busy street. I bet I'm not the only one that is pissed off about this. I saw a girl in a porche boxter driving over that bump beside me.

There should be some warning signs to slow down to about 20km/h in both lanes.

I just hope my car is fine....
Old 11-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

Originally Posted by chewi
There should be some warning signs to slow down to about 20km/h in both lanes.
I just hope my car is fine....
Warning signs in Vancouver
You can try calling City Hall or going to City Hall in person but honestly they’ll do nothing about it. I #$%@en hate Vancouver roads.
I had a lot of fun with my old dropped car. The thing turned corners in a dime and it looked good, but it just wasn’t worth driving in Vancouver’s unpredictable roads. Question: Just out of curiosity, were you driving on Main Street and Terminal?
Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mar T
Warning signs in Vancouver
You can try calling City Hall or going to City Hall in person but honestly they’ll do nothing about it. I #$%@en hate Vancouver roads.
I had a lot of fun with my old dropped car. The thing turned corners in a dime and it looked good, but it just wasn’t worth driving in Vancouver’s unpredictable roads. Question: Just out of curiosity, were you driving on Main Street and Terminal?
WOW...YES MAIN and TERMINAL... well acutally about 1-2 blocks before at a small intersection with a stop light.....

I was heading to richmond, and I hardly drive on main street b/c I never liked the roads on Main street. This is like bad luck or something. The one time I had to go to china town I get this kinda luck.

For now, my car is still handling good on the turns and the car seems to run fine.
I'm bringing my car into NS Acura this thursday for an oil change.
I'll ask them to check if anything is damged.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:24 AM
"IRidEDuMpEd" User

Pure adrenaline, so u have the ingalls camber kit for your rear right? I know you're running after market rims and probably rolled ur fenders already, but for me running on stocks and lowered, if i installed the camber kit and got my rear adjusted, would my tires hit the fender well?
Old 11-15-2005, 02:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SSTLS408
Pure adrenaline, so u have the ingalls camber kit for your rear right? I know you're running after market rims and probably rolled ur fenders already, but for me running on stocks and lowered, if i installed the camber kit and got my rear adjusted, would my tires hit the fender well?
nope
Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by SSTLS408
No, I'm running SPC in the front and rear both. But I want to switch to Ingalls in the front. It's just too much money to spend on a camber kit when I already have one.

As for your car, nope. They won't rub. I used to run H&R Sport springs and a heavy system, with a 1-finger gap in the rear (just like now on the Teins) and even with FIVE girls in the rear seat and another two in the front (plus me), they never rubbed. It looked like I was on air bags, though.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

No, I'm running SPC in the front and rear both. But I want to switch to Ingalls in the front. It's just too much money to spend on a camber kit when I already have one.

As for your car, nope. They won't rub. I used to run H&R Sport springs and a heavy system, with a 1-finger gap in the rear (just like now on the Teins) and even with FIVE girls in the rear seat and another two in the front (plus me), they never rubbed. It looked like I was on air bags, though.
What a PIMP
Old 11-15-2005, 03:45 AM
Marty_1999Acura3.2TL

Question: Just out of curiosity, were you driving on Main Street and Terminal?

Originally Posted by chewi
WOW...YES MAIN and TERMINAL... well acutally about 1-2 blocks before at a small intersection with a stop light.....

I was heading to richmond, and I hardly drive on main street b/c I never liked the roads on Main street. This is like bad luck or something. The one time I had to go to china town I get this kinda luck.

For now, my car is still handling good on the turns and the car seems to run fine.
I'm bringing my car into NS Acura this thursday for an oil change.
I'll ask them to check if anything is damged.

Wow, Man!! What a small world.
I was driving pretty fast in that SAME AREA!!! Out of nowhere, I noticed a paved 2.5+ inch add on. No cars were behind me therefore I braked as hard as I could to avoid damaging my car.
I have low profile tires. If I were driving over that bump any faster, my rims would have been damaged. I couldn’t believe it. Not only did they add 2.5+ inches to the road, they decided to make the incline of the bump 90degrees (sharped edge square shaped bump) with no warning signs.
I hope all the best for your car.

Hey, R U part of the Vancouver TL club? Two times, I noticed a group of TL’s rolling down Robson Street one by one. Must have been about 10-15 TL’s. It was a pretty cool eye catcher. When I get my exhausts I might want to join the club.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:33 PM
"IRidEDuMpEd" User

Pimp on the real lolz, thanks for the insight bro! Appreciate it!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Question: Just out of curiosity, were you driving on Main Street and Terminal?

Wow, Man!! What a small world.
I was driving pretty fast in that SAME AREA!!! Out of nowhere, I noticed a paved 2.5+ inch add on. No cars were behind me therefore I braked as hard as I could to avoid damaging my car.
I have low profile tires. If I were driving over that bump any faster, my rims would have been damaged. I couldn’t believe it. Not only did they add 2.5+ inches to the road, they decided to make the incline of the bump 90degrees (sharped edge square shaped bump) with no warning signs.
I hope all the best for your car.

Hey, R U part of the Vancouver TL club? Two times, I noticed a group of TL’s rolling down Robson Street one by one. Must have been about 10-15 TL’s. It was a pretty cool eye catcher. When I get my exhausts I might want to join the club.
Yes, That was a pretty sharp bump...Still pretty mad about it, but not as mad as last week.
I'm lucky my stock 17 inche rims and stock michelins did not get damaged.
I'm glad atleast one of us avoided that bump. Its just kinda dumb to have improperly paved road on a busy street with no warning sign. It could cause some pretty bad accident if any car was speeding down there and didn't notice it, then hit the bump, lose their steering, and crash.....

If i went any faster than 40km/h, I would have some more serious problems under my car. I rather run over a speed bump going 60km than that kinda sharp bump.

And yes I'm a apart of the Vancouver TL Club. You've probably seen pics of our vancouver TL meets from this spring and summer. Feel free to join and hang out with us at any other upcoming meets. We hope to gather more acura/honda enthusiasts.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:48 AM
DO WORK!

hah im bringin this back. i was wondering if you were to drill holes where those dents were, would that be a bad idea? would it cause problems in the long run. im havin this problem aswell
Old 09-30-2009, 04:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Holy Sh*t... this was like one of my first post from way back.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you as I only have the rear SPC camber kit.

btw... northshore acura said my car was ok and there was no damage. lol

I did notice that my alignment was off lol