Blown timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008 | 03:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregarch99
I've finally got the car home and started to check things out. I removed the front timing belt cover and everything looks fine so I got to the back one and everything is fine there. Here's a picture of it all. If the timing belt were indeed certainly broken as the shop told me wouldn't it be completely gone or is it possible that it's broken underneath but the top is still there as such? I also went ahead and looked into the ignition switch. I'm having trouble getting a hold of anyone worthy of talking to at the dealer but I checked the current according to the service manual and it looks like that should be fine. When we try to start it (did so before we removed anything and only for a second) my dad says the crank shaft turns but the timing belt doesn't move at all. Also, any ideas on getting the side engine mount bracket nuts off? They're not budging whatsoever.
1)Starter turns .
2)Engages to the flywheel that is attached to the crankshaft.This is verified by the turning pulley bolt #15.
3)Timing gear is supposedly attached to the crankshaft on which the timing belt is attached and in this case there is positive tension on the belt.

My conclusion is that every thing is okay up to the timing gear.(timing gear excluded) as evident by the turning crank pulley bolt.
Everything is okay from the timing gear (timing gear included) as shown in the picture, considering the tension on the belt and general apperance.

There is a disconnect between the crankshaft and the timing gear.
Best of luck.
Old 02-02-2008 | 10:03 PM
Cruisin'

I'm gonna put some more work into tomorrow so I'll get some more pics. I don't quite understand what everything above means but I'll read over it again and put add some more here. Thanks for all the help so far guys!!
Old 02-06-2008 | 04:23 PM
Cruisin'

Alright, haven't really got much else done but I have a few questions. Is there any way of getting the flywheel (crankshaft pulley i guess it's called in the book) off without buying the specific holder handle from Acura? Also we were able to turn it and the timing belt does not turn, is it supposed to be that way or does that signal some type of other problem?
Old 02-06-2008 | 04:45 PM
Team Owner

the timing belt connects the crankshaft pulley to the camshaft pullies via the TIMING belt
Keeps it all ~in time with each orther~
If you can turn the crankshaft and the cams are not moving- that means the valves currently in the open position are being struck by the piston when that cylinder reaches the top- when the valves should have been closed when it got there...
BANG BANG
It would indicate a timing belt or worse problem, its engine replacement time
That crankshaft pulley bolt is on with 181 foot pounds torque
When replacing it with a lightweight crank pulley, the procedure is: big socket on big tough breaker bar, place so bar on grond, hit starter with key a few times and that usually loosens it up.
Getting it back on is another story
Old 02-06-2008 | 04:49 PM
Team Owner

Can you take a compression guage to a front cylinder and check if it moves at all when the engine is cranked?

Did the shop origianlly diagnose this broken belt because you were driving and the engine stopped or made a reallllly bad noise and you pulled over?

My wifes old Integra had same zero clearance- Interferance motor style engine we have.
At 175k high speed freeway commute miles, the original timing belt shredded in a big way. Destroyed the engine
Old 02-06-2008 | 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

You are going to need to take the crank pulley off. Place a breaker bar on it and put it on the bolt. Place the handle against the frame or ground. Pull the fuel pump/ignition fuse and give the key quick cranks. It will make a loud bang as the bolt breaks free but it will loosen the bolt. Then remove the AC/ALT belt and the PS belt and remove the pulley. Once thats off then you can remove the timing belt cover and inspect the lower gear
Old 02-06-2008 | 10:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gregarch99
Alright, haven't really got much else done but I have a few questions. Is there any way of getting the flywheel (crankshaft pulley i guess it's called in the book) off without buying the specific holder handle from Acura? Also we were able to turn it and the timing belt does not turn, is it supposed to be that way or does that signal some type of other problem?
This what I came up with: crank pully tool
Old 04-08-2008 | 04:59 PM
Advanced

Hello,
Has anyone heard of any cases of timing belts breaking in 1999, 2000, or 2001 Acura TL's. i.e. Second generatiion TL's. I spoke with a dealer near the Ontario, CA. He had mentioned to me, that he witnessed a broken belt on a TL at 91000 miles, but this car was driven in the Palm Springs, Palm Desert area. Also, he mentioned he saw an Integra with 130K miles that was broken.
I heard the thing is to drive your car every day if possible to meet normal operating temperature. This is suppose to help out the rubber/plastic ???
Old 04-08-2008 | 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

not to jack the thread or anything but can you replace the belt yourself? might sound stupid but 800$ is lots of money.
Old 04-08-2008 | 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

u could do it urself..doesnt take a genius to do it...my mechanic only charges 250 for the job
Old 04-08-2008 | 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rich9
Hello,
Has anyone heard of any cases of timing belts breaking in 1999, 2000, or 2001 Acura TL's. i.e. Second generatiion TL's. I spoke with a dealer near the Ontario, CA. He had mentioned to me, that he witnessed a broken belt on a TL at 91000 miles, but this car was driven in the Palm Springs, Palm Desert area. Also, he mentioned he saw an Integra with 130K miles that was broken.
I heard the thing is to drive your car every day if possible to meet normal operating temperature. This is suppose to help out the rubber/plastic ???
And ive seen it go 200k no issues. Age is more of a factor than miles. Timing belt breakage is rare on the tl. there havent been many cases of it (just this on that we arent even sure of here)

Originally Posted by myron
not to jack the thread or anything but can you replace the belt yourself? might sound stupid but 800$ is lots of money.
Yes. Do a little search, there is a DIY
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=timing+belt