axle issues..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
axle issues..

car is an 02 TLS w/tein SS coilovers.. just gonna break down what ive been through:

- early last year, started getting a rotational grinding noise on the passenger front.. wasnt constant, but showed up more when turning left..
- few weeks later, it got pretty bad and a friend and i messed with brakes, wheels, and even swapped front suspension left to right.. no cure..
- went out myself driving through a few neighborhood streets going at different speeds and braking to see if i could see a pattern.. i did..
- sound was non existent when accelerating and rarely showed up during braking.. the showed up at cruising speed and coasting to a stop (when the axles were "floating")
- being that my front mount was known to be crapped out, im assuming the play in the engine/axles caused the axle to go bad..
- swapped out the axle with an autozone reman and it solved the problem.. tried to get the mount changed, but couldnt break loose the bolts..
- this was back in april.. in early december, the noise started coming back.. kinda expected it because i didnt change out the mount..
- mid december i swapped out the axle for another autozone reman and changed the front mount with help of a bigger impact gun..
- noise was gone again, but the front end just felt kinda "funny" to me..
- 2 weeks later, the noise came back.. progressively, the right side would have a rotational loud pop/thump during left turns..

this is where i am now.. havent driven the car in a couple weeks because im just annoyed with the situation.. its now up on jackstands ready to be worked on..

can this just be a horrible reman job on the axle and i can solve it with a NEW one of another brand?..
is something else possibly damaged causing the axles to go to shit?..

before i buy another axle, i just want to see what my options are..

Last edited by Mista Juice; 02-03-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Seems like you have isolated the problem down to bad axles.

I know lots of people have issues with the reman axles. I'd say try a brand with a better rep.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Pro

thats kinda what i figured, but ive never really heard of an axle going to shit in 2 weeks.. i was looking at rockauto.com and they have some new ones for a good price.. that site has been recommended by quite a few people that ive talked to in the past few years about random cars of all makes..
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah RA is good. They have a discount on cb7t on their parts. Idk if az has one too .
Old 02-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Pro

sooooo.. could the grinding be caused by a bad carrier or wheel bearing?.. weather here is shitty, so i havent actually gotten to work on the car yet to check.. i know the knocking during the turns is the axle (pretty sure), but just want to know if the grinding may lead to the knocking..
Old 05-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Pro

so another issue.. i replaced the passenger axle with a new cardone axle from rock auto back in april.. no grinding, but the front end still felt kinda loose and had a slight shudder in the steering wheel at times.. so i said 'fuck it' and replaced the drivers side with the same axle.. there is still an occasional clunk with shifting from park to drive/reverse, but no grinding or clunking on turns.. NOW though, i have a shudder that is progressively getting worse.. steering wheel shakes and there are vibrations felt in the pedals and such.. the car shifts just fine, never slips out of gear, so im pretty sure its not the tranny GEARS.. what i want to know is, is there one or more bearings in the diff/tranny/int. shaft that can be causing the axles/car to be shaking like this?.. i also bought lower ball joints, end links and outer tie rod ends just in case.. they all seem fine even though i slightly tore the boot on the drivers side when changing the axle..

this car had no freaking problems at all until the last year or so.. i just want the front end to feel like it used to..
Old 05-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
have you had a pro look at it yet? ck hub bearings?
napa axles are reported here as great, and made with all new parts

did the motor mount get changed yet? thats all important before further work
-movement there messes up many things

do replace the part you tore the boot- grease gets out-grit gets in
whats the alignment numbers like? how much negative camber?
toe sets up ok?
Ever flush the ps fluid?

How low are you--more than the `suggested setting` by Tein?
lowered cars wear out cv faster than stock car -thats a fact of physics and alignment of parts
Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
have you had a pro look at it yet? ck hub bearings?
napa axles are reported here as great, and made with all new parts

did the motor mount get changed yet? thats all important before further work
-movement there messes up many things

do replace the part you tore the boot- grease gets out-grit gets in
whats the alignment numbers like? how much negative camber?
toe sets up ok?
Ever flush the ps fluid?

How low are you--more than the `suggested setting` by Tein?
lowered cars wear out cv faster than stock car -thats a fact of physics and alignment of parts
gonna have one of my buddies (work at acura and honda) check it out sometime soon.. and the axles i bought are brand new and seem to have good ratings from what ive read..

said in the first post that i changed out the mount last december.. havent replaced the ball joint yet, but the shaking was there before it was torn.. im sure it could help the situation, but im thinking that its something a bit more than that.. got an alignment with the first autozone reman, but havent gotten one since changing the others.. and ive never messed with the ps fluid..

im sure my car is lower than they suggest, but the car has been at that setup since day 1 and it road very smooth up until last year (roughly 3 years)..