anyone has a DIY on how to straighten steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008 | 01:55 PM
02 TL Type-S

anyone has a DIY on how to straighten steering wheel?

I am looking for some instructions on what are the step involved in adjusting the steering wheel. Here is my issue:

I got a rack and pinion replaced but the mechanic didn't make sure if it was in the center position before tightening the steering wheel on it. So now I am bothered because when I move my steering wheel all the way to right, I can do 2.5 turns but to left, I can only go 1.5 turns. Obviously I need to straighten the steering wheel at the center position on the rack and pinion and then get the alignment done to center the steering (I hope this makes sense)

I have two questions:

1) what exactly do I need to look for under the steering wheel in order to loosen it so that I can turn .5 way to the left and tighten it again to make it fit in the center position of the rack and pinion, is there a DIY on this? If not then if someone give me some pointers, I'll take some pictures for DIY

2) Do I really need to get the alignment done? since my car doesn't pull to any side....can I just adjust the alighment myself (equal number of turns on both sides) will that work or might cause alignment issues?
Old 03-26-2008 | 02:42 PM
Something is missing...my

First, I would take it back to the mechanic. He should have included that as well as an alignment to follow under normal R&R of the rack. Don't bother doing it yourself. The issue is not the location of the steering wheel, it is the installation of the rack.

Second alignment is MUCH more than just how much it turns each way.

Take it back to the shop and have them fix it right.
Old 03-26-2008 | 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

bring it back to the mechanic that did the work. Dont pay for it. Dont even mess with trying to adjust it yourself. You cant do it accurately. Considering .05 will cause your tires to wear badly i dont think without the machines to do it you would be able to. Pay to have an alignment done (which should have been done after doing the rack replacement.
Old 03-26-2008 | 03:20 PM
02 TL Type-S

thanks, I was just so pissed at the mechanic and I didn't want to go back because I argued with him already after noticing that I can turn the wheel one way more than the other and the mechanic insisted that he is right and the allignment guy is wrong, but the alignment guy said he doesn't fix steering, he just makes sure the steering is in center then lock the steering and do the alighment. both of them don't want to take the blame, I know that the rack and pinion is not installed properly. I looked under the car and the alighment screw on one side had a lot of thread visible (only 2-4 turns inside) and the other side it's all the way in so I know that the alignment guy didn't bother telling me about the rack and pinion and just fixed it the easy way, I was just so pissed that I decided to do it on my own but I guess I'll take my car somewhere else rather than those idiots. I may fix the steering myself....then it will be off to one side instead of it being in the center and I'll take it to the alighment guy to do it properly this time (move the steering to center and do the alignment so that this time is right in the center location of the rack and pinion.

what a pain, I had to get a rack and pinion from a wreck yard because old one started to leak. This one works perfectly fine but now this annoying issue.
Old 03-26-2008 | 03:24 PM
B A N N E D

is it common for the rack and pinion to leak? i think you could have got that repaired under warranty
Old 03-26-2008 | 03:27 PM
02 TL Type-S

Originally Posted by haterade
is it common for the rack and pinion to leak? i think you could have got that repaired under warranty
it was leaking at the end of the rubber boot....it was out of warranty becuase its a 2003 TL-S and it leaked a few months ago, but I wanted an original one, brand new was $800 + $500 labor, so I ended up buying used from a 2003 TL-S that was driven 50k and got into an accident and got in installed for a local mechanic to save some $
Old 03-27-2008 | 10:35 AM
Racer

dont even try it yourself, see it going bad real quick. They owe you a job done right.
Old 03-27-2008 | 10:54 PM
02 NBP TL-S W/Navi

it is also possible that the "used" rack-n-pinion was damaged during the accident. in which you will be fighting a lost cause anyways. because the rack-n-pinion may have internal damage.
Old 03-28-2008 | 09:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree that the used rack could be the problem, but I suspect the steering shaft was installed on the rack 180 degrees off. I don't know if the steering column to rack coupler has a master spline on it as some do, but these can still be installed 180 off on the other end. Without a master spline, the steering coupler can be indexed to the rack in any position. The guy that installed it should be given a chance to correct it. The alignment guy got your toe set with the steering wheel straight across resulting in the tie rod threads being different side to side. His part of the repair is right. It's the best he can do till the rack problem is cured. If the rack installer can't or won't help you on this, you are entitled to take it elsewhere, get it fixed, and he has to foot the bill. Typically, you have to give him the first opportunity to fix his mistake. Talk to him first, if that doesn't work, many states have a mechanic licensing bureau that you should contact. Of course, all this means squat if the rack is damaged. Did you supply the part, or did your mechanic? If he supplied it, and it's damaged, he still has to take care of it. In some states, he's responsible even if you provided it, which I think is unfair to say the least.
Old 03-28-2008 | 09:10 AM
02 TL Type-S

Thanks for the comments, the rack is perfectly fine, I bought it and provided to the installer, I centered it myself yesterday (the installer did a poor job, I should have taken to someone more intelligent to start with) and like you said the allignment guy just did his job based on the incorrect installation then I got the alighnment done for the front two tires, now everything is good and I can turn equal amount on both sites when I rorate the steering wheel to either side (2.5 turns) and there is equal amount of thread on the alighment bolts when I look underneath the car.