AC trouble codes I and N

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011 | 04:31 PM
6th Gear

AC trouble codes I and N

Sorry for the lenthy post but I'm trying to be very specific on my problem. I know there are many knowledgable (and helpful) people on here and I believe the more information I supply, the easier it will be to diagnose. Here are the specifics for my problem in my 2000 TL:

Everything was good before my battery totally died very suddenly (No previous trouble.) Went into a store for 10 mins, got back to car and DEAD. Even warning lamps wouldn't light up!) Next day, I jumped the car to get home and then charged the battery overnight (still in the car) with my charger. Next day, battery has a tiny bit of power but still pretty much dead. I disconnected battery, swap if for a brand new one, and reattached new battery. The car started fine.

After replacing the battery the AC did not work but the inside fan blew constant (even when climate control system was turned off. Tried both automatic and manual controls for the AC but no luck. Fan still blows constant. I have managed to get the AC to start a couple of times but it ran only 1-3 seconds and then stopped. During this brief AC running, the fan on radiator for AC (drivers side) started (along with the passenger side radiator fan) but then both stopped (and AC stopped). I'm sensing the computer senses a problem and is shutting it down (along with the compressor). Not sure if this will help but I never seem to see my radiator fan start up even after 1 hr ride in hot weather 90F. I've read somewhere that this fan goes on after stopping the motor for a timed period (although this might have applied to a different model Acura.)

Unaware of the troubleshooting available via the climate control system (I do not have NAV), I checked various fuses and relays associated with this system. Everything looked good. Then read how I could troubleshoot the system (even without NAV). So I then ran the climate control troubleshooting and got the following codes:

I = An open in the air mix control motor circuit.
N = A problem in the blower motor circuit.

I'm assuming that the jump to the battery must've fried (or disabled) something electrical. I've searched all over this site on how to check/repair the various sensors/relays concerning the climate control system but can not find anything specific on troubleshooting the codes I was given (I and N).

In addition, the fuses and relays that I have checked seem to be good. I even visually checked (but not metered) the "well documented" problem with the sensor (transister?) that has the large heat sink. It is located under the glove box with the heat sink installed in one of the air flow lines. This sensor is documented to be a major problem with these cars and will usually show scorching in the connector (and or sensor). Mine looks brand new (and no burn smell) but I did not know how to meter it when I pulled it out so I reinstalled it.

I would appreciate any help on the following questions:

1) How do I check the problems (and/or components) listed in the codes above (I and N)? Any help on repairing the problem(s) once isolated would be much appreicated too!

2) How do I check (via meter) the relays (located in the engine compartment that seem to be associated with cooling: condenser fan relay, cooling fan relay and MG clutch relay (not sure what MG clutch relay is?) All are identical with 4 pins - 2 small and 2 large). I've already checked the Heater Motor relay (largest in this fuse box) via instructions I found on another thread. (Jump the small pins to battery, listen for click, then check continuity of large pins). This relay checked good based on those instructions. I'm not sure if the smaller relays listed above would be checked the same way but didn't try because I did not want to possibly fry them.

3) What is the proper way for checking (with meter) the sensor with the heat sink that I previously mentioned (located under the glove box)? I know I've read it somewhere, but I've gone through over 100 threads trying to figure out my problem and not sure I will be able to find it again.

3) I've also read something about disconnecting the ground off the battery for a few minutes in order to "reset" the computer. Does anything think this may work?

Thanks in advance for any guidance any of ya'll can give. I've got to get some air with temps running in the 90's everyday. I will keep everyone updated on how things work out.