99 With trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 With trans problem

I have a 99 tl and just recently, it developed a trans problem. When up-shifting from 2nd th 3rd the rpms go up just a little (maybe 200-300) with normal driving, not slamming on the gas. It doesn't seem to happen in any other gear shift, up or down and there's no hesitation in any down-shift. The car only has about 104,000 miles on it.

Basically what I need to know is; Will doing a trans fluid change (3x) and replacing the filter do me any good, or should I just save my money for a rebuild.

As far as I can tell, the car hasn't had a fluid change yet. The level looks ok, but the fluid is slightly dirty. Also, the manual says use only Honda premium trans fluid; is that a must?

I'm pretty sure I know what needs to be done , but I'm really being an optimist and hoping for the best.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
thats the first sign of failure. You can try to change the fluid (no filter to change) but it probably wont do much good. Yes stick with honda fluid. Dont do a flush. Just do a simple drain fill.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks

Yep, just as I thought. Well, I'll just trade this thing in ASAP and get a new car.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Cruisin'

Angry Dead!!!

Trans quit on me today, ON THE WAY TO GET A NEW CAR :troutslap !!!!

It still works (i guess), but it takes a long time to get into gear/shift (been using Sport Shift and letting off the gas to shift). I have seen a LOT of talk about replace the filter, don't replace it, it does not exist... What's the worst that can happen, is it worth bothering with a full fluid swap and getting a new filter? If not, has anyone had to get their 4spd rebuilt? any idea how much (rough est.)?

<RANT!!!>
How can anyone be a loyal fan of a car company who is worse than that incompetent co-worker who messes stuff up and then gets away with saying it was your fault. I will admit, (as far as the 99 TL is concerned) it's decent. But Acura seems like they don't want to support what they made, and hardly even acknowledge it's existence (much like GM with the Aztek). Why was there not a 100,000 mile warranty+transferable between owners? Hundai did it, why can't a "luxury" car company? Where are my navigation updates? Oh, that's right, my car isn't brand new, so I probably wont use the navigation. Besides, Acura probably assumes that everyones hard disk has failed by now anyway, along with their auto-dimming mirrors.
IT'S TIME TO COWBOY UP ACURA!!! The very least thing they can do is recall the transmissions.

But I guess that was in 1999 and maybe I just don't remember the way things were, IDK.
</RANT!!!>

Yes I feel better after letting that out. I still wish to set my car aflame though.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
I did my 2month ago. It cost me 2800 total with 3 year/ 36K warranty.

Acura did give all 99-03 TL tranny 7 year/109K for free.
For the auto-dimming mirrors they gave website signup to get new replace for free. (I got free replacement)
For Navigation part just go buy 00-03 Navi DVD-Rom unit box off ebay. That what I did, worth every PENNY

Acura cann't keep giving free warranty for life of your car, If so they will go Bankrupt.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I am out of warranty by 1 year. Which is strange, cause food goes bad over time, not transmissions, but w/e. I have yet to call corp and discuss my situation with them to see if they can squeeze me in and take care of it. Hell, I'm under the 109,000 so I don't see why not. It's just not going to be anything but a stress filled weekend. All I can do is wait.

As far as the mirror and navi goes, it was something i thought about fixing/upgrading, but never got around to it, and the mirror... i was under the impression that the replacement was only for the cracked ones, mine just doesn't dim anymore.

I have one more option, and that's trade it in like it is and buy something from the same dealer. It's not the best solution, but it beats having it sit in my yard while i pay for it and have nothing to drive to and from work. And I live in the country, no mass transit.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:28 PM
hates the winter

There is no filter to change. You can try calling Acura Client Services and discuss NICELY your situation. Maybe they will cover half. Most people here have not had any problems with a tranny replacement. Acura does acknowledge the problem and is usally nice about it. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Racer

I'd ask Acura for help. They replaced mine out of warranty for free.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by zpedrick
Trans quit on me today, ON THE WAY TO GET A NEW CAR :troutslap !!!!

It still works (i guess), but it takes a long time to get into gear/shift (been using Sport Shift and letting off the gas to shift). I have seen a LOT of talk about replace the filter, don't replace it, it does not exist... What's the worst that can happen, is it worth bothering with a full fluid swap and getting a new filter? If not, has anyone had to get their 4spd rebuilt? any idea how much (rough est.)?

<RANT!!!>
How can anyone be a loyal fan of a car company who is worse than that incompetent co-worker who messes stuff up and then gets away with saying it was your fault. I will admit, (as far as the 99 TL is concerned) it's decent. But Acura seems like they don't want to support what they made, and hardly even acknowledge it's existence (much like GM with the Aztek). Why was there not a 100,000 mile warranty+transferable between owners? Hundai did it, why can't a "luxury" car company? Where are my navigation updates? Oh, that's right, my car isn't brand new, so I probably wont use the navigation. Besides, Acura probably assumes that everyones hard disk has failed by now anyway, along with their auto-dimming mirrors.
IT'S TIME TO COWBOY UP ACURA!!! The very least thing they can do is recall the transmissions.

But I guess that was in 1999 and maybe I just don't remember the way things were, IDK.
</RANT!!!>

Yes I feel better after letting that out. I still wish to set my car aflame though.
You need to do your homework.
For one the car is over 7 years old. How many car companies extended warranties on problem?? Not many. Honda did step up to the problem by offering an extended warranty.(which this trans issue was brought before the NTHSA and they didnt deem it needing a recall). YES the warranty is transferable...

Oh and there are car companies out there with far more trans issues!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zpedrick
Where are my navigation updates? Oh, that's right, my car isn't brand new, so I probably wont use the navigation. Besides, Acura probably assumes that everyones hard disk has failed by now anyway...
You can buy a used DVD-based navigation unit from a 2000-2003 TL and it would be a plug-n-play replacement for the hard drive based unit used in the 1999 TL. That system will give you coverage of the entire US and Acura is still updating the files via DVD releases.

If you can live with the older map data, you can replace your hard drive with a Compact Flash/PCMCIA card combination. If you can get the map files from your local Acura dealer, you can assemble one of these for under $30. I put one of these together for my 1999 Tl after the hard drive failed.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all your help

I had the TL for a year. It looked nice, and I suppose all in all, it was a good car. Maybe I just had a bad experience, I suppose things like that happen. Honestly, I just got tired of the car, the price of parts, the lack of room inside (I'm 6'4"), and the uneventful and boring drive (can't shift, no feel of the road ) I guess I'm just not quite a "luxury car" type of person.

My view on vehicles is that they all have their own little problems eventually, if you can't fix them in a timely, reasonable manner at a decent price, you get a new one. So I moved on and got a Jeep Wrangler (suits my needs much better). The TL was fun while it lasted, and I thank you all for your support, this truly is a great forum. I hope that you all have fun with your Acuras; good bye and good luck!