99 TL Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99 TL Transmission issue

I bought a 99TL from a Mechanic who kept the car in excellent shape. He stated that the Transmission was replaced 2 years ago and the car had 152,000 on it upon purchase in February 2013. I kept up with oil changes and always made sure my fluids were correct. It is now at 160,000.

Had absolutely no issues... until october 2013. What seems to be the issue and it is related to Outdoor temperature is, when driving for the first few minutes (5 to 10) the car will go from 1st gear to 2nd gear but will not shift correctly. It will act like it is in Neutral then when you let go of the gas it will shift. After 10 minutes it will drive perfectly.

I have let the car run for 20 minutes warming up and still run into the issue for 10 minutes of driving.

I have noticed that when the temperature is lower than 48F the issue will happen. If about 50F and above no issues.

What is strange is yesterday my Check Engine and TCS light came on at the same time while driving in 34F weather. The colder it is the more the Shifting issue gives me.

This is a 4 Speed Automatic, I know that all of the 5 Speeds were notorious for issues.

Please let me know if this is something to worry about. Odd that this didn't happen last year.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Welcome to Acurazine!

Get the the codes checked at your local Autozone or O`reillys and report back.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
What your describing is similar to another member that reported a fix heres the thread, it might just help you out.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/cleaned-shift-solenoid-filter-screen-fixed-problem-644943/
Old 12-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Try a drain & fill, replace spin on filter and clean shift solenoids. Good Luck !!!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Try a drain & fill, replace spin on filter and clean shift solenoids. Good Luck !!!

Remember 99 4speed didn't have the spin on filter, Yet they are better then our 5 speed shakehead: Drain and fill might work along with the cleaning. Keep us updated
Old 12-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, always seem to forget about the '99 being the pioneer oddball of sorts,
......but it's carryover 4 speed tranny is worth being a little different then your older siblings !!!
Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM
8th Gear

OK... now the issue is even worse. Replaced the solenoid filter screen with a brand new one. Now D4 is flashing and when shifting to drive you will hear gears slipping. Do you think I went low on ATF? Very little spilled out when I took the Solenoid off.

Based on what I took off of the Car Logically everything was reassembled and double checked by another person who has engine rebuild experience.

Only change would be loss of fluid. Which again was a table spoon's worth.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Exclamation Check work done

Check all the connections that were unplugged more than likely something was left out. I remember I forgot to plug the 2nd pressure switch once, boy did that threw me into a loop.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Make sure that ya properly installed the correct part. Check the CEL code and then try resetting it.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Yeah, always seem to forget about the '99 being the pioneer oddball of sorts,
......but it's carryover 4 speed tranny is worth being a little different then your older siblings !!!
Yep very different indeed
Old 12-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jakthebomb
OK...
Based on what I took off of the Car Logically everything was reassembled and double checked by another person who has engine rebuild experience.

Only change would be loss of fluid. Which again was a table spoon's worth.

That`s to small of fluid loss to make a change in your transmission.

Check the fluid make sure it`s in the center of the dip stick.
Check all the connections
Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 PM
8th Gear

Ok read the codes and this is what I got

P1733
P1773

Again we only took off the Solenoid to replace the filter. This problem didn't occur until we took off the solenoid.

Also the A/T fluids were really low, I put half a quart in to bring it to the center of the two dots.

When attempting to drive the car it will reverse perfectly, when putting into drive it will take 2,000 RPM for the car to slowly start moving. It never shifts and when putting the shifter into manual the 1-4 indicator doesn't display. This was all working prior to removing the solenoid.

I double checked all of the connectors I can't see any that would be loose.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 PM
8th Gear

Found the issue, the connector is broken off of the A/T CLUTCH PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE A. Looks like I am going to buy a new one.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

Found the issue, the connector is broken off of the A/T CLUTCH PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE A. Looks like I am going to buy a new one.

Hope that is all that it is and those codes go away. Keep us updated.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM
8th Gear

Ok issue resolved. Old solenoid connector was broken and it was the black connector. Also now the car shifts perfectly again. No errors or flashing D4.

Took Pictures but I am not sure how to upload them on this site.

I am a Systems Administrator and work on Servers and Computers for a living. Who would have thought that I could fix a car. It is all the same, find what part failed then replace.

I do thank this community for all of the help. Expect me to lend a hand when possible.
The following users liked this post:
ErickUa5 (12-13-2013)
Old 12-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

Ok issue resolved. Old solenoid connector was broken and it was the black connector. Also now the car shifts perfectly again. No errors or flashing D4.

I am a Systems Administrator and work on Servers and Computers for a living. Who would have thought that I could fix a car. It is all the same, find what part failed then replace.

I do thank this community for all of the help. Expect me to lend a hand when possible.

Haha. I am a chef/restaurant owner for 20 years but also hung out at my friends auto repair shop for the last 25 years and always paid attention when he worked on my cars. Doing work on my own car has been a lot harder than preparing food but nevertheless satisfying and educational.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Thumbs up

Nice glad to hear all is good, Cool I also work with computers for a living. It definitely helps since our cars transmissions are electronically controlled.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Thumbs up Fixed.......!

Hey Jakthebomb, thanks for following up with a resolution to your car's problem. It's very thoughtful and helps others who may be experiencing a similar situation.

Glad everything worked out for the better. I'm sure there's been an occasion where somebody may have ended up with replacing their car's tranny simply by oversight. The electronically controlled solenoid switches and valves are critical components in newer trannys.

Wonder how the solenoid's connector got broken to begin with, and how long it's been like that ? Oh well, good for now !!!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 PM
8th Gear

Nope back to square one. Issue came back the following morning where it will not shift correctly. Luckily the D4 and Check engine lights aren't displaying an error.

I was driving for about an hour on the highway when the car seemed to tremble. Eventually while going 70MPH the car which was in 4th gear started acting like it was in Neutral. Would do it for a few minutes then the car would shift correctly again. Never seen it do it when the car was fully warmed up and driving for awhile.

I don't have time and money to blow at the moment... So it is off to aamco for me. Also working in the freezing cold SUCKS. Why couldn't this happen in the spring time?

I will report what parts were bad and if the issue is resolved. aamco stated that they have seen their fair share of Acura TL Transmission issues. They also stated that they make modifications that will help prevent the same issues from occurring again. Being a person who fixes computers for a living the guy seemed intelligent and understood that I am not a fool and I do have the background to put two and two together. It would be very hard for him to fool me into replacing things that don't need replacing. I will take his "Diagnosis" and add it here.

Will have to wait until monday. I just want this crap to be over.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Thumbs down Not good

Nope back to square one. Issue came back the following morning where it will not shift correctly. Luckily the D4 and Check engine lights aren't displaying an error.

I was driving for about an hour on the highway when the car seemed to tremble. Eventually while going 70MPH the car which was in 4th gear started acting like it was in Neutral. Would do it for a few minutes then the car would shift correctly again. Never seen it do it when the car was fully warmed up and driving for awhile.

I don't have time and money to blow at the moment... So it is off to aamco for me. Also working in the freezing cold SUCKS. Why couldn't this happen in the spring time?

I will report what parts were bad and if the issue is resolved. aamco stated that they have seen their fair share of Acura TL Transmission issues. They also stated that they make modifications that will help prevent the same issues from occurring again. Being a person who fixes computers for a living the guy seemed intelligent and understood that I am not a fool and I do have the background to put two and two together. It would be very hard for him to fool me into replacing things that don't need replacing. I will take his "Diagnosis" and add it here.

Will have to wait until monday. I just want this crap to be over.
Wow jake sorry to hear that, Yea keep us updated more than likely the filter is plugged up, clutches and valve body are done. Ask if they use Sonnax parts for the valve body, theres a rebuilder on youtube that reports its the fix for these transmissions.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:32 PM
8th Gear

Sorry to report but my transmission is shot. $3,300 quote to repair. I am selling the car and getting a Toyota Prius 2006.

I loved my Acura TL but I am not going to pay so much for a repair that will just fail again.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

First of all 3,300 is way to expensive to repair this tranny. I`m thinking you have a few options.

1. Call around for a less expensive quote for a replacement tranny (Do not repair. Replace)2000.00-2500.00
2. Find a salvaged out 06/07 tranny from a local yard and find someone to install it. 1500-2000
3. Call your mechanic friend and ask if there is a warranty on this one.
4. Or buy the prius and enjoy 40+ mpg.

Whatever you do Good Luck!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

99 tranny is different from the 2000 and up, only options are a used one from a local salvage yard or rebuilding it at a different shop I you decide to keep it Or that Prius
Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, I feel your pain.....$3300 is way too much to pay. If ya could find another used tranny to drop in for half that price, then it'd be worthwhile.

But, beware of a used Prius.....as they also can have their quirks, especially if the battery starts to go south.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:46 PM
8th Gear

Now I own a 2006 Prius with Package #5. It has 132,240 Miles and I got it for $7,200 with a lot of negotiating. Who would have thought that a Used Car Dealer would be selling me their very first Hybrid? They really gave me the car for a steal since they had no clue what they were selling. First CarFax is really good. Previous owner kept up with all regular maintenance. Second the car has no scratches on the Black exterior paint, third interior is in like new condition. Only issue is I need to buy new Tires as the current ones were horribly worn due to a much needed Steering Alignment, which I just did today.

The icing on the Awesome Cake is that I just discovered a Service Record 5/1/13 - 124,902 - Hybrid Battery Replaced. This means the battery only has 7,338 Miles on it!

I really can't believe I got this car for so cheap and without any reported accidents.

I am currently getting an average of 50.1 MPG and it is about 34F lately. I also like that to fill this car it takes about $25 as opposed to $50 for my Acura TL. I have already put 300 Miles on this car and only used half a tank.

I am really going to miss my Acura TL
Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 97 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal there. Good luck with the new purchase. They ain't my cup of tea, but it is hard to argue with 50mpg
Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Should the price of gas go up considerably more, the sacrifice in ride quality and safety may be worth the savings, IDK......to each his own !!!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I'm seeking advice about my 99 TL that has a similar problem. Posting here because I just registered and can't make new threads yet.

My engine and traction light came on a few weeks ago, I brought it to the dealership and it was a code P0740. They quoted around $4500 I believe to replace with a used transmission. The car was running like normal for a few days after that but just today, the gear slippage has become the worse it's ever been. Every time the trans shifts, there would be a very violent shake compared to the relatively smooth kick that happened before. The car has lots of trouble moving in reverse, I have to step down on the gas pedal several times before it shift out of park. I can still drive it on D3/1/2, but if I shift to D4 it seems the car maxes out at 3rd or 4th gear, going about 50mph with 5k rpm.

My questions are, what do guys think I can get for the car either in a trade-in or straight up sale? It has 194k, but has been well-taken care of, I'm the second owner. For about $4800 I can get a 01 Acura TL with 181k miles on it from a local dealership, but I'm not sure if they accept trade-ins.

I plan to take my car to another transmission place next week to see if anything can be done to it without replacing the transmission, which I doubt, but maybe they'll give a lower price. Would you guys recommend just sell it/trading it in or getting a new tranny? How many more miles can it run with a new transmission? Would I have any chance with the dealership picking up part of the tab? What's the cheapest I can get a new transmission replaced for?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
By45: Welcome to the forums. You can start a new thread in any forum except the Black Market and the OT forums.

You should see a new thread button in the top left corner of the page.

If you are still having a problem, click on the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of the page and send an email.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 acura tl Trans problems after replacement

I'm lost, replaced my transmission along with replacing the PCM and I'm having the problem of when the car is warm from driving 30min+ and going from reverse to drive I have a double engagement into drive along with dropping hard into first.?