99 TL need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 TL need advice

99 tl with 125k , on the clock 2 owners , paid 700 $ for it

this are the symptom, and according to this plz tell me if it better to put a used trans or just replace switches and solenoids until i could get it drivable

symptom 1 : delay shift , when going from park to D or R and it it engage hard

symptom 2 : going from 1st gear to 2nd it will slip out of gear sometimes will catch

actions : replaced linear solenoid and also replaced shift solenoid behind starter
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
10th Gear

symptom 3 : it will slip shifting from 2nd to 3rd also
Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
hows the fluid look and smell,,is it at the correct level?
NEVER PUT DEXTRON 3 in it -the kiss of death
use honda dw1
but if the clutches are toast new fluid wont do much,,might get it down the road a little but no guarantee

Fluid level: ckd after 15 minutes freeway cruise from cold- level BETWEEN the dots at that temp
engine off, in park

slipping between gears indicates worn out friction plates of the clutch disc for that gearset
does it rev up/w trans slips too? wont engage unless you lift of throttle? otherwise slams into gear?
cks the motor and trans mounts?

99s had a more reliable 4 speed trans than later years with 5speed

you cant swap in the accord trans due to that differance
a used junkyard been sitting around, only fits 99s trans,,,risky to say the least
to rebuild yours local,1500-2500!

parting out a 99 with good headlight housings and tail--those fit 99-01
and some basic parts..alt ps pump etc if they are good, there is always a market for them
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Team Owner

is the delay from N into D or R more than 1-2 seconds,,thats the normal time
longer means a serious problem

Wait 2 minutes in the morning before shifting into R,,does that make it better?
thats testing line pressure
Old 10-04-2012, 05:45 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
hows the fluid look and smell,,is it at the correct level?
NEVER PUT DEXTRON 3 in it -the kiss of death
use honda dw1
but if the clutches are toast new fluid wont do much,,might get it down the road a little but no guarantee

Fluid level: ckd after 15 minutes freeway cruise from cold- level BETWEEN the dots at that temp
engine off, in park

slipping between gears indicates worn out friction plates of the clutch disc for that gearset
does it rev up/w trans slips too? wont engage unless you lift of throttle? otherwise slams into gear?
cks the motor and trans mounts?

99s had a more reliable 4 speed trans than later years with 5speed

you cant swap in the accord trans due to that differance
a used junkyard been sitting around, only fits 99s trans,,,risky to say the least
to rebuild yours local,1500-2500!

parting out a 99 with good headlight housings and tail--those fit 99-01
and some basic parts..alt ps pump etc if they are good, there is always a market for them
ok so yesterday i was driving the car for the first time , i did the fluid check and it was way too overfilled ,so i went ahead and drain some of the fluid out so i can bring it to proper level ( with the engine running and in park ) but i was wrong u are suppose to check it with the engine off >???

do you people think that by just opening up the trans and replacing the blutche would be a good temporary solution ?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Team Owner

you cant just open the trans and pop in clutches.
its a removal and complete teardown of trans- replace all clutch packs plus some other parts

the fluid level is ckd as detailed, 15 minutes FREEWAY cruise from cold- avoid stop and go in town as it raises temp and alters reading
then stop off freeway exit= on safe level ground

engine OFF in PARK, remove stick and wipe, insert fully and remove
LEVEL SHOWS AS BETWEEN THE DOTS
not at either,,somewhere between them
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
'99 TL with 125k @.....$700

Originally Posted by FlyingEK
ok so yesterday i was driving the car for the first time , i did the fluid check and it was way too overfilled ,so i went ahead and drain some of the fluid out so i can bring it to proper level ( with the engine running and in park ) but i was wrong u are suppose to check it with the engine off >???

do you people think that by just opening up the trans and replacing the blutche would be a good temporary solution ?

Hey FlyingEK, the '99 TL tranny's are normally more durable than the newer 5 spd AT in the 2000 and up models. If the car is in relatively good condition other than the tranny issues, you may want to first consider getting the tranny professionally evaluated. I'm unsure of your level of expertise, but get an Acura service manual specific for your '99, which will include details on your older 4 spd AT.

Not knowing the previous maintenance history or issues, it's best to start fresh by replacing the fluid with the 3x3 drain & fill, using only Honda fluid. Then you could try cleaning the various solenoid valves and replace the external filter. If you have a CEL, have the codes read. With only 125k, the car should be worth repairing.....depending on the costs of tranny work ?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey FlyingEK, the '99 TL tranny's are normally more durable than the newer 5 spd AT in the 2000 and up models. If the car is in relatively good condition other than the tranny issues, you may want to first consider getting the tranny professionally evaluated. I'm unsure of your level of expertise, but get an Acura service manual specific for your '99, which will include details on your older 4 spd AT.

Not knowing the previous maintenance history or issues, it's best to start fresh by replacing the fluid with the 3x3 drain & fill, using only Honda fluid. Then you could try cleaning the various solenoid valves and replace the external filter. If you have a CEL, have the codes read. With only 125k, the car should be worth repairing.....depending on the costs of tranny work ?
thanks for your advice , i actually ended up replacing the trans yesterday i started at 4 pm yesterday and ended at 10:05 pm , also i couldn't get any luckier the junkyard send me a rebuild ed transmission from a wrecked tl that had 205k but the trans was installed when it had 188k per carfax also its a acura reman unit , all that for 700 $ , car drives like a dream sooth as hell
Old 10-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey FlyingEK, $700 car + $700 tranny = bargain TL !!!!!

So you were rather fortunate to find an Acura remanufactured tranny with less than 20k.
You were even more fortunate to be able to install the tranny and be able to drive the car all in the same evening.

Everything must have went smoothly. Did you replace the rear main seal and the drive-axle seals ? Also, it would've been a good time to replace the mounts.

If you still have the old tranny, you may want to consider rebuilding it for a spare.