99 TL Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 TL Headlamps

Here's the deal. I am a 13 year Acura parts professional. I've seen just about every thing that can go wrong and been able to help my customers get it fixed whether by simple process of elimination or parts/service bulletins.

Now, I have my own situation and I can not find any information and my techs are even stumped. So I am turning to a wider audience for suggestions:

On my 99 TL my headlights have started acting up. I've read many forums and had many customers complain about the headlights going out and coming back on etc. But my issue is that my passenger side headlamp started fading to an amberish/pinkish color while the drivers side remained bright.

I've done all the swapping and changing to try to eliminate possibilities. When swapping the bulbs the drivers bulb was still bright in the passenger side. The pass. bulb, now on the drivers side was also back to being bright. So I left it like this. Now, a couple weeks later the passenger side is back to being that amber/pink color.

OK, so now I'm thinking igniter/inverter. So we tear the whole thing apart and swap those. Turn on the headlights and guess what? The passenger side, which now has the igniter and inverter from the drivers side is still amber/pink.

Now we're thinking there has got to be a electrical load problem. So we hook it up and run tests on the charging system and everything checks out.

Next, we took a known good bulb, igniter, and inverter from another car. Turn it on and it is that amber/pink. Put it back in the original car and they work fine. Then we put my bulb etc in the 2nd car and they work fine.

Now, after putting everything back together both my headlights are running dim.

Anybody out there run into this? HELP!!!!!