99 TL Auto..Stalling??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 TL Auto..Stalling??

Hello all. I have a 99 TL 4 speed auto that for the most part has been very reliable. Recently I've been having a strange issue with the car. On a few different occasions, while driving the car just turns off on it's own, kinda like when you stall a manual. It occured one time on the highway...I was doing about 80 and I noticed all the warning lights in the gauge cluster went on simultaneously. I then looked at the rpms and they were at 0...my car turned off. Just a second or two later the lights went off and the rpms were back up. the car came back to life on its own. that was the first time it happened. I just hoped it wouldn't happen again. Of course it did. It's happened a few times since then at lower speeds. the last straw occurred the other day when I proceeded to make a right turn onto a busy road and as I tried to accelerate I noticed the car shut off by itself once again. The only time it turned back on without my assistance was when I was going fast on the highway. So I went to put the car in neutral and turn it back on but before I could turn the ignition I got hit from behind by someone who apparently wasn't paying much attention. Thankfully that person's insurance is going to cover the body damage, but now I'm afraid to take my car out. I can't have this happen again. I'm no mechanic, but my guess is that something is going on with the electrical system, maybe the spark plugs? Anyways that's what I need you guys for. Any thoughts on what the problem could be and what I may be in for? I'm also curious as to why the car started itself on the highway but not at lower speeds. Any help is appreciated thanks!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
99's are notorious for the ignition switch failing. There is a Recall on it. If you havent had it replaced go to the dealer and have it replaced. If you have had it replaced the replacements have been known to fail.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Cruisin'

I bought the car at 87k. I haven't had it replaced and I have no idea if the previous owner had it done. Would the dealer be aware of the work if it was indeed done on the car?
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Racer

they should know if it was recalled and replaced or not by your vin
Old 05-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
any acura service dept can run your VIN and tell if any recalls are `OPEN` or still need to be completed

or call acura care 1-800-238- 3382 x5, register as the owner,, ask if the ignition switch recall was done and the EGR port kit recall too

recalls are free, doesnt matter how long you owned it, or how many owners