2003 TL Type-S radio/cd changer wont power on/wont give me code message.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 TL Type-S radio/cd changer wont power on/wont give me code message.

Hi guys, i've been reading this forum for a long time just because you all seem to know what you're talking about. So i am here for hopefully some help. Here's my issue.

I have a 2003 TL Type-S and my radio/cd changer wont power on/wont give me code message. I have the code and am ready to enter it but when i turn the car on the lights around all the controlls on teh radio/cd changer work but the display wont work. The anti-theft light is blinking red.

Things i have tried:
-Checked all fuses (twice), pulled out/viewed/put back in.
-unplugged battery for 2 min, then powered car back on...same issue
-put the key to on, held 1 and 6 for 5 sec, 10 sec, 20 sec ...nothing

Things that may have contributed:
-at the gas station my dog spilt coffee on the dash...but the radio worked on the way home...but 2 hours later went to go back to the store and that's when i encountered the problem.

hopefully someone has some advice.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Radio won't power up.....?

Odds are that "Rover spillin' the coffee" on the dash caused the problem.

One would think that a fuse would blow if something got shorted. The #8(7.5a) located in the driver's underdash box along with the #9(20a) located on the passenger's side box are the primary fuses for the stereo. Does your "Acc. power socket" and "Nav" still work ok ?
There's also a relay for the "Acc. socket".

So if I understand correctly, it's like the unit's control lights are all on, but nobody's home at the main display,....except for the blinky blinkin' light. No code when pushin' 1 & 6 together, hmmm !
I'll bet Rover is in the doghouse now.

But seriously, even though you already have tried this.....pull the battery cables, the neg. first and then take the two cables and hold their ends together for a minute. This will get rid of any old errors and provide a fresh start. I'd even spring for some new fuses.

Try the procedure once again, prepared with the correct 5 digit "CODE" to enter. If the display still won't function, you may need to pull the stereo unit out and investigate a bit closer. Try pulling the unit's wiring connector apart, spray some electrical contact cleaner inside. One other trick may be to unplug the antenna while your attempting to enter the "CODE".

I hope that this may help to get Rover another ride in the TL !

Good Luck.........!!!