2002 TL tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 TL tranny

Hey! New member here, and I apologize beforehand if my thread has already been posted by someone else.

So I have a 2002 TL and it's still very healthy. Engine is in great shape and everything, BUT the tranny. It has been replaced before.

My dad sort of handed this car down to me and I love it but I'm just a little curious as to why my tranny acts the way it does. lol

Every morning, well almost every morning, when I start the car, get off the driveway, and get out of the neighborhood, I have to stop at a stop sign or a light, and every time I stop after a block or two of a straightaway and I press the gas to go, the transmission just goes to neutral by itself. This always happens when the car hits 5th gear and comes to a complete stop. Sometimes it does it twice and more rarely three times every morning. It doesn't really affect my driving because I expect it every morning but I know it's a problem. I just shift it to neutral and back to drive and wait for the gear to kick in, and then go.

Also, why does my whole car shake when the gears shift from 1st to 2nd ONLY after the car is warmed up? The car's automatic so it can't be from engine lugging.

And lastly, why do I hear some sort of grinding noise in the hood when the car hits 4th. This doesn't happen all the time. It only happens a few times. But it doesn't do it when I use tiptronic.

Overall, is it just a sign that my transmission needs to be replaced again? Or can it all be fixed with just a few parts replacement?

PS. With these extremely high gas prices, I try to drive really efficiently. Do you guys think the tiptronic feature can help save gas if used properly? Is it just about shifting high as early as I can? Or is it more than just that?

I would greatly appreciate it if all my questions are answered. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
Yes, you can use Sequential SportsShift to increase MPG, but I wouldn't use it with your transmission. It's failing, and will most likely need to be rebuilt/replaced.

How many miles are on it? It may be covered under warranty. If it's above 120k, you can ask Acura to split the cost.

Last edited by Karanx7; 03-06-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: More info
Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
your trans is out
how does the atf look and smell? burnt sugar and dark color is bad
rebuilding cost average 2500 dollars, may be less or more--
since you are using yours to the very end--expect the more end

SS is for advanced drivers needing to be in the correct gear to accellerate off the apex
all others leave in D5,,, or D4 if stuck in traffic below 45mph
that stops it from hunting for 5th in and out of gear

you cant out-think the computer on shifting
use an easy foot and it will shift at 2000-2200--right where it should for economy
Heavy foot and it shifts at 5000-6500!!
its not about getting into the highest gear,, but using correct gear and its torque to get you to speed and maintain with the least rpm from there
Old 03-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Unregistered Member

That's true, up to a certain point.

For example, if your driving at a CONSTANT speed of 37mph, your car will automatically be in 3rd or 4th gear. It will not shift up no matter how long you drive at that speed. If you manually shift up to go into 5th gear, your RPM will decrease and your MPGs will increase. Sure, if you need to speed up it will be best to downshift.

I do agree that it's not always about getting into the highest gear. If your trying to speed up in 4th/5th gear, your just being wasteful. But if you want to completely maximize MPG, you barely touch the throttle and shift up as soon as you can. It just takes a loong time to get to speed.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Team Owner

thats not exactly correct--

my comment on D4 use in stop and go is mostly for freeway use- get stuck in that and it will often hunt between 4th 5th- TC locking and unlocking,,etc
as traffic stops-gets up to 45 and stops again,,crawls,,45,, stops,
You can get rid of than annoyance -and mileage killer- by slipping into D4
that just keeps it out of 5th but allows all other gears as normal

torque is what the pistons downward motion after combustion generates to the crankshaft-- causing rotation = power to transmission
thats what makes the car go forward

forcing it to lug in the lower rpm is `working behind the power curve`
try both ways and see that light throttle- 2500rpm shifts will beat other methods
and make the car happier

also note cars with carbon loaded pistons and system will tend to ping or pre ignite- thats the fuel mix combusting before the actual sparkplug firing
result is low/no torque, and danger to internal engine parts not expecting a shock load at that moment
Some seafoam or bg will remove that for you

there is a compromise between very light throttle... and holding up traffic

best thing for in town drive: is look ahead!! light is turning red- you brake early and let the car coast- in Drive- to the light--if it goes green and you are still moving 20mph--thats all the inertia needed to make the first motion is gone--you get back to 35-45 easily,, and all is well
Next stoplight,, same thing..planning ahead makes for good fuel economy

and watching 5 cars ahead when at speed--10 is better but 5 will show you brake lights, so you know whats happening ahead and can slow early~

thats right folks- how do you get good mileage??- by using the brakes!!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Unregistered Member

Yea, the D4 comment is true, but also applicable to SS mode. Just chill in 4th gear.

As for shifting early, you will gain MPG when your going at a constant speed. Yes, you fall behind the power curve, but if your not going to accelerate, it can only give more MPG.

I've tried a lot of methods over the years, and I've seen that SS mode raises my MPG. I keep other driving factors the same throughout all trials.

However, driving slowly and shifting early will probably hold up traffic. Still, it will raise MPG. About ~20% of the chemical potential energy in your fuel is used in combustion. The rest is lost in heat and sound. Thus, a simple way to prove that your getting more MPG is to think about this. A higher revving engine will get hotter faster, given the same amount of fuel consumption. It will also be louder. Your fuel efficiency will then go down.

All of your points hold up if you don't want to drive like an old grandma. But then again, some of us drive like Tom:

http://video.adultswim.com/the-boond...old-bitch.html
Old 03-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Team Owner

K7 lets not get personal or the mods send you on holiday~
while I may drive easy on the public roads (tickets are expensive)
things change at the track = scca National competition licensed

your SS is broken if you can leave it in 4th and do stop and go driving!
normal operation allows it to auto downshift to 1st for you when stopped--because some people forget~
then you proceed and -depending on year- it stays in 1st or shifts to 2nd and stays there,,until you stop and it goes to 1 again

thats SS- you have to control it--it only downshifts for you into first at a stop-
or you would try to go in 3rd or 4th gear and the low torque deleivered by that gear ratio wont make the car budge

I didnt buy the TL expecting to hyper mile it, shut off ignition-- draft semis etc
its a heavy 6cyl car--deal with it or get a hybrid for commute/town use