2002 Tl-S 112k miles Tranny fails, $5700 +Labor

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Tl-S 112k miles Tranny fails, $5700 +Labor

My tranny just failed at 112k miles. Acura no longer makes transmissions, they get it from a company in California, cost for tranny $4200, they also need to replace the computer for a new tranny for $1500, so $5700 for parts + labor which is most likely around $1500. So the total cost is $7200.

Is there anything wrong with these numbers, because I think thats a bit too much just to replace the tranny this is ridiculous.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Race Director

First of all the class action law suit pushed the extention back to 109k miles. Then once that happened honda had another class action lawsuit that said 02-06s hondas and Acuras odomotors counted too fast and agreed to extend all warrantys by 5% which means the 109k technically is 114450 due to a second class action law suit. Tell them that and they should have to cover it. Although if you did have to pay that is absoutely insane in price.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
with 7,200 repair, then you should just sell the car as is, and buy another car.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is way overpriced almost doubled
Old 06-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Call Acura's national Customer Care number and see if they might be able to help you out.

There have been a number of out-of-warranty "good will" transmission repairs reported on this forum.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 06-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Race Director

I dont think he should have to pay anything because of the lawsuit saying honda odomotors overcount with that hes still in the warranty period.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Thats way to high. ANy dealer trying to bend you over that much should be reported to acura
Old 06-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Ok Im not sure what to make off all this.

What happen is first I notice tranny fluid dripping from under the hood, I took it to mechanic they though it was the axle seal, but it wasnt and they said they cannot repair it I need to take it to Tranny Shop, So I went to the dealer and they told me something inside the tranny is bad and probably Im gona need a new Tranny, and they gave me the quote how much it would cost.

I was aware that the warranty was extended only till 109k didnt know about the 5% that was mention, anyway the tranny shop took the tranny out and quoted me 2295 with parts and labor, This is what they said was wrong and need to be replaced.

1 Assembly Set - Ls - Sterling $540.79
1 Filter - Ledgend Sedan $47.81
5.7 Fluid $32.78
5.6 Labor $392.00
8.9 Labor $623.00
1 Labor Discount to Costumer -141.38
1. Torque Convertor $379.00
4 Steel - 5.0 Od 4th $30.20
4 Steel - 5.0 Od 5th $32.08
5 Steels - 1st $32.95
1 Differential Bearing & Race $159.00
1 Differential Bearing & Race $160.00
1 Labor Shop Supplies $7.50

Parts 1422.11 Labor 872.62
Total 2406.65 1year/12k miles warranty
or 3043.30 3year/36k miles warranty

Is this common Tranny failure that troubles all acura owners or this is something else that is not cover by the warranty?

If I now tell the shop that im going to take it back to acura dealer they gona charge me $600 for taking the tranny out, taking apart and putting back in. What should I do?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Race Director

Well I see you call up acura and ask them about the 5% extention because of odomoters overcounting. If they say well then yes they will cover it (which they should). Then I say pay the money and have Acura fix it because they will give you a brand new with revisions so a failure will most likely not happen again.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
In Atlanta replacing Tranny is about 2600 Installed with 3year warranty at Acura Dealer

Now for part an other stuff I'm not sure about that
I'm also looking into get my Tranny replace right now.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
On Avg its about $4000 to replace the tranny.

IMO, its time to sell the car.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Moderator

well your kinda screwed now. You shouldnt have brought it to the trans shop, You should have delt with the dealer and acura client services. Those parts listed are normal rebuild parts Thats what a rebuild is. It replaces all wear parts. Why dont i see 2nt and 3rd parts on there
Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Drifting

I'd be tempted to pay the $600 and have the transmission work done at an Acura dealer.

As mentioned above, you would then be sure to get the Feb 05 revisions that may have resolved the major reliability issues.

You'd also have a chance of getting partial or even full coverage after contacting the national client services/customer care group.

Spend some time reading the last few pages of the Tranny Failure thread to get some strategies for requesting coverage:

Tranny Failure Thread

Good Luck!

Bob
Old 06-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Sowi Roja u tiga now

Originally Posted by AznWayTL's
In Atlanta replacing Tranny is about 2600 Installed with 3year warranty at Acura Dealer

Now for part an other stuff I'm not sure about that
I'm also looking into get my Tranny replace right now.
which one nalley? or branton(sp) the other one up north is rediculous

my moms 03 accord v6 was replaced for 700 at conyers honda and my grandmothers odessy 03 also was replaced for 1300 so yeah thats allot my moms they just paid labor but you have to fight a lil not that easy.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Advanced

I think im screw now, should have went to the dealer first but had no idea about the extended warranty, the Tranny shop already started to work on my tranny, Is there a chance I can get reimbursement for the tranny?
Old 06-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by TwanPD4
which one nalley? or branton(sp) the other one up north is rediculous

my moms 03 accord v6 was replaced for 700 at conyers honda and my grandmothers odessy 03 also was replaced for 1300 so yeah thats allot my moms they just paid labor but you have to fight a lil not that easy.
Your MOM 03 Accord V6 an Grandmother 03 Odyssey Should still be cover under Acura/Honda Tranny Recall with 7 year/ 109K miles warranty. They should have paid nothing to replace there tranny. I had my tranny replace free twice at Nalley Acura when it was under warranty. Nalley told me 2600 installed. But I found cheaper place now with also 3 year warranty on new/used tranny at my friend shop.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Dealership or aftermarket tranny shop ? Read below to help your decision.

Honda/Acura designed, manufactured and troubleshooted our shitty trannies. It didn't matter whether the problem was a glitch or a design flaw. If even Acura can't fix it, who else can ? Do you think aftermarket tranny shops know more about Acura trannies than Honda/Acura ?

No one knows more about our tranny problems than the Honda engineers back in the Honda head office. Not even dealership mechanics are allowed to open up failed trannies. The failed units have to be shipped back to the head office in one piece in order for warranty claim reinbursement. Outsiders like us only know what Honda wants us to know. Obviously they are not telling the whole story, and not even the dealership people know the whole story. Do you still think aftermarket tranny shops can fix our trannies better than Honda ?

The factory rebuild trannies have gone through numerous updates and fixes over the years. Honda doesn't just open up the dead tranny, replace the failed clutch packs, rebuild damaged parts, close it back up, and considered the job done. The tranny block has been modified with widening oil passageways to allow more oil flow and so heat dissipation. Plus many other modifications that we're not even aware of.

Besides, Honda doesn't just replace the failed trannies. At the same time the PCM (powertrain control module) is also replaced with a reprogrammed unit which contains revised engine management software. This new software reduces engine output power during deadly gear shifts, by modifying the engine timing and air/fuel maps, in order to reduce heat generated during gear shifts.

Thus the rebuild tranny together with the reprogrammed PCM work in conjacent to try to reduce the destructive heat generated during gear shifts, especially during full throttle shifts. So if aftermarket tranny shops only rebuild the tranny and reuse the old tranny block, they are only doing 1/3, or even 1/4 the job. I bet if you tell them about the reprogrammed PCM, they don't even know what the heck you talk about.

The aftermarket rebuild job is only a band-aid solution. Damaged parts are replaced. But the fatal problem is still lurking in there. Without the new reprogrammed PCM, revised tranny block, and other Honda fixes, the replace-failed-parts rebuilt is similar to the original spec tranny and it's going to fail the same way down the road in about the same length of time that your orginal tranny has lasted.

Having understanding all these will probably help in your decision.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Way too high for tranny work! I bought my 99tl w/nav for $7,300. lol
Old 06-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Eedvl1999
Ok Im not sure what to make off all this.

What happen is first I notice tranny fluid dripping from under the hood, I took it to mechanic they though it was the axle seal, but it wasnt and they said they cannot repair it I need to take it to Tranny Shop, So I went to the dealer and they told me something inside the tranny is bad and probably Im gona need a new Tranny, and they gave me the quote how much it would cost.

I was aware that the warranty was extended only till 109k didnt know about the 5% that was mention, anyway the tranny shop took the tranny out and quoted me 2295 with parts and labor, This is what they said was wrong and need to be replaced.

1 Assembly Set - Ls - Sterling $540.79
1 Filter - Ledgend Sedan $47.81
5.7 Fluid $32.78
5.6 Labor $392.00
8.9 Labor $623.00
1 Labor Discount to Costumer -141.38
1. Torque Convertor $379.00
4 Steel - 5.0 Od 4th $30.20
4 Steel - 5.0 Od 5th $32.08
5 Steels - 1st $32.95
1 Differential Bearing & Race $159.00
1 Differential Bearing & Race $160.00
1 Labor Shop Supplies $7.50

Parts 1422.11 Labor 872.62
Total 2406.65 1year/12k miles warranty
or 3043.30 3year/36k miles warranty

Is this common Tranny failure that troubles all acura owners or this is something else that is not cover by the warranty?

If I now tell the shop that im going to take it back to acura dealer they gona charge me $600 for taking the tranny out, taking apart and putting back in. What should I do?

sorry my english is bad
i feel your pain friend my tranny just went on me last week at 119km my car is the late tl so i get no warrentty at all the car was driving fine smooth till i came to a stop light then i started going thats when it went up to about 60km then downshift itself and redline and it kept doing that. no light or nothing came on but i could smell burn metel in my hood. i went to acura that told me $5000 cdn but i kept calling the 1800# for head office to do a goodwell frist they sale F U NO!!! then i kept calling back they said $1000 off then i said F U NO!!. i called then agian then they told me 1/2 price off then i said F U i went to Ammco and got a tranny for $3000 with a life time warranty on the tranny with towing anywhere in canada or the us. all i have to say is these tl are shit u can be driving slow crusing then bam your tranny is gone after this tl is dead no more acura going st8 to Toyota/lexus those are the real jap cars not honda who can't even make a tranny or even a rear wheel drive car
Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Dealership or aftermarket tranny shop ? Read below to help your decision.

Honda/Acura designed, manufactured and troubleshooted our shitty trannies. It didn't matter whether the problem was a glitch or a design flaw. If even Acura can't fix it, who else can ? Do you think aftermarket tranny shops know more about Acura trannies than Honda/Acura ?

No one knows more about our tranny problems than the Honda engineers back in the Honda head office. Not even dealership mechanics are allowed to open up failed trannies. The failed units have to be shipped back to the head office in one piece in order for warranty claim reinbursement. Outsiders like us only know what Honda wants us to know. Obviously they are not telling the whole story, and not even the dealership people know the whole story. Do you still think aftermarket tranny shops can fix our trannies better than Honda ?

The factory rebuild trannies have gone through numerous updates and fixes over the years. Honda doesn't just open up the dead tranny, replace the failed clutch packs, rebuild damaged parts, close it back up, and considered the job done. The tranny block has been modified with widening oil passageways to allow more oil flow and so heat dissipation. Plus many other modifications that we're not even aware of.

Besides, Honda doesn't just replace the failed trannies. At the same time the PCM (powertrain control module) is also replaced with a reprogrammed unit which contains revised engine management software. This new software reduces engine output power during deadly gear shifts, by modifying the engine timing and air/fuel maps, in order to reduce heat generated during gear shifts.

Thus the rebuild tranny together with the reprogrammed PCM work in conjacent to try to reduce the destructive heat generated during gear shifts, especially during full throttle shifts. So if aftermarket tranny shops only rebuild the tranny and reuse the old tranny block, they are only doing 1/3, or even 1/4 the job. I bet if you tell them about the reprogrammed PCM, they don't even know what the heck you talk about.

The aftermarket rebuild job is only a band-aid solution. Damaged parts are replaced. But the fatal problem is still lurking in there. Without the new reprogrammed PCM, revised tranny block, and other Honda fixes, the replace-failed-parts rebuilt is similar to the original spec tranny and it's going to fail the same way down the road in about the same length of time that your orginal tranny has lasted.

Having understanding all these will probably help in your decision.

thats good my tranny lasted 119km if this new one last that long i would love honda like i used to
Old 06-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tdot_TLS
sorry my english is bad
i feel your pain friend my tranny just went on me last week at 119km my car is the late tl so i get no warrentty at all the car was driving fine smooth till i came to a stop light then i started going thats when it went up to about 60km then downshift itself and redline and it kept doing that. no light or nothing came on but i could smell burn metel in my hood. i went to acura that told me $5000 cdn but i kept calling the 1800# for head office to do a goodwell frist they sale F U NO!!! then i kept calling back they said $1000 off then i said F U NO!!. i called then agian then they told me 1/2 price off then i said F U i went to Ammco and got a tranny for $3000 with a life time warranty on the tranny with towing anywhere in canada or the us. all i have to say is these tl are shit u can be driving slow crusing then bam your tranny is gone after this tl is dead no more acura going st8 to Toyota/lexus those are the real jap cars not honda who can't even make a tranny or even a rear wheel drive car
Problem is is aamco probably doesnt have all of the latest redesigned parts/case. There is a good chance that it still may happen again. Honda atleast has the updated rebuilds that seem to be lasting without failure.

Oh and Being rude and mean will get you NO where with acura. I had them good will me a trans at 115k Miles for free by being nice and patient with them
Old 06-13-2007, 02:49 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Problem is is aamco probably doesnt have all of the latest redesigned parts/case. There is a good chance that it still may happen again. Honda atleast has the updated rebuilds that seem to be lasting without failure.

Oh and Being rude and mean will get you NO where with acura. I had them good will me a trans at 115k Miles for free by being nice and patient with them
Well, if the Aamco tranny carries a lifetime warranty for $3k, this is a damn good deal. You just need to go in and out of the Aamco shop to repair repeated dead trannies. Just make sure there's no small print on the work order saying labor charge or other components not being covered by the warranty.

I remember back some years ago, some francise muffler shops carried lifetime warranty on their mufflers. The only catch was that you still need to pay for labor. So they simply installed cheap mufflers made with the thinnest metal sheet. As a result, instead of lasting a couple of years, the cheap mufflers rusted through within a year. So the muffler shop reaped in profits by repeated customers who came in every twleve months to pay labor fees for their free cheap mufflers.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:51 AM
Instructor

My tranny just failed at 112k miles. Acura no longer makes transmissions, they get it from a company in California, cost for tranny $4200, they also need to replace the computer for a new tranny for $1500, so $5700 for parts + labor which is most likely around $1500. So the total cost is $7200.

Is there anything wrong with these numbers, because I think thats a bit too much just to replace the tranny this is ridiculous.

If that thing will run for 400,000 miles - great deal! No way thats the case..... Sad story my man - Those numbers hurt my ears, pockets, and that little spot that wonders when my tranny is gonna decide to quit.....
Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, if the Aamco tranny carries a lifetime warranty for $3k, this is a damn good deal. You just need to go in and out of the Aamco shop to repair repeated dead trannies. Just make sure there's no small print on the work order saying labor charge or other components not being covered by the warranty.

I remember back some years ago, some francise muffler shops carried lifetime warranty on their mufflers. The only catch was that you still need to pay for labor. So they simply installed cheap mufflers made with the thinnest metal sheet. As a result, instead of lasting a couple of years, the cheap mufflers rusted through within a year. So the muffler shop reaped in profits by repeated customers who came in every twleve months to pay labor fees for their free cheap mufflers.
Im sorry but id rather pay dealer price for a trans that wont fail than have my car in the shop every time the trans died over and over.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Intermediate

Im sorry but id rather pay dealer price for a trans that wont fail than have my car in the shop every time the trans died over and over.
why don't u do ur homework those tranny shop get their tranny kits from honda. whateva they have thats what he used they made the oil line bigger so more oil gets to all gears. and i pay nothing theirs 700 ammco in america i get free towing up to 150miles and i pay for nothing at all i made sure all that before spending my money
Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Something is missing...my

Originally Posted by Tdot_TLS
sorry my english is bad
. . . all i have to say is these tl are shit u can be driving slow crusing then bam your tranny is gone after this tl is dead no more acura going st8 to Toyota/lexus those are the real jap cars not honda who can't even make a tranny or even a rear wheel drive car
So, maybe you should note that these cars (TL's) are sport sedans (4 doors). If we were about pure, non everyday function/versatility, you would find us on another forum. Honda does make sports cars, they are called the S2000 (rear wheel drive) and the NSX (rear wheel drive). These are pure sports, with some of most renowned trannys there are. Toyota/lexus has one rear wheel sedan, IS. Have fun forkin >40 large for something comparable, but not quite equal to, the TL. I have respect for them too, but I'll take my chances with good ole Honda.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Well thanx all for the info, I should have went to the dealer first but I didnt, for some reason I didnt think it was the failure that happens to everyone. In most cases tranny downshifts my was working fine just a leak heh.

Im gona try to get reimbursement for this, gona make a nice letter to all acura chain of command using all the information that I have found reading the "Tranny failure threat" Ill make sure to add that I already had acura and honda in the past, my whole family which is really big got over 15 honda/acura even both my parents drive honda. I was also thinking of buying the new RL but if i wont get my money im gona buy bmw/mercedes all that and more will be in my letter. Im gona post a copy of it once its done.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Advanced

well your kinda screwed now. You shouldnt have brought it to the trans shop, You should have delt with the dealer and acura client services. Those parts listed are normal rebuild parts Thats what a rebuild is. It replaces all wear parts. Why dont i see 2nt and 3rd parts on there
NO idea, im gona ask them once i get my car
Old 06-19-2007, 08:23 AM
Advanced

Well I supposed to pick up my car yesterday, but they test drive my car and said there is a noise coming from the transmission, most likely bearings. He said no idea why is this happening he got the Oem parts straight from acura dealer.

I just hope they know that they putting an updated parts in old version transmission.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Well I supposed to pick up my car yesterday, but they test drive my car and said there is a noise coming from the transmission, most likely bearings. He said no idea why is this happening he got the Oem parts straight from acura dealer.

I just hope they know that they putting an updated parts in old version transmission.
That or they dont really know what they are doing and rushed thru the rebuild
Old 06-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Agree
Correct procedures with correct parts is the only way a rebuild works
Tap a bearing in place instead of pressing and guess what happens
Dont check a tolerance somewhere- bang goes the trans

Ask about those other parts Kris suggested - why not replace them while its apart -again
Good Luck
Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
Advanced

I just called them and they told me the dealer send them wrong ones, the ones that they've send them were too small for this unit, they had to get new ones from a special place that specializes in bearings, they also had to replace shaft or w/e that is. He said the 2nd and 3rd gear was fine and not damaged.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

How could a dealer bearing be the wrong size when its designed for the trans. I would have had them reorder the correct bearing from the dealer. Sounds like they are making stuff up to tell you. And as to my knowledge the 3rd gear shaft is different now along with the steels and the plates for the 3rd gear drum. Yes the gears should be fine, they arent the problem. the problem is in the 2nd gear shaft and the 3rd gear clutch packs, not the gears themselves.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Advanced

so you saying that I should tell them to replace2nd gear shaft and the 3rd gear clutch packs? If so they probably gona try to charge me for that They really starting to piss me off, they had my car for 2 weeks now
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM
6G TLX-S

Don't forget to put in the factory reprogrammed PCM.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

so you saying that I should tell them to replace2nd gear shaft and the 3rd gear clutch packs? If so they probably gona try to charge me for that They really starting to piss me off, they had my car for 2 weeks now
You said that they had to replace a shaft. Its probably the shaft i said. If they didnt replace ALL clutchpacks i wouldnt want a trans from that repair shop. They should replace all wear parts (ie.. clutchpacks) and inspect other hard parts for wear and replace any thing they see, along with the solenoids in the trans as they get clogged with debris as well
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Don't forget to put in the factory reprogrammed PCM.
Oh yea, forgot to add that as well. The dealers put in a new ECU to help the shift mapping. Hopefuly you got that as well in the rebuild
Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Advanced

Lol im not getting the new ECU, it costs $1500. My only hope is that the tranny will fail really soon so i get take it to dealer and hopefully get "good will" replacement if not i will be still on aamco 3/36 warranty.

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask them if they replaced all the clutchpacks but i guarantee they say no, and the guy will just say that the replaced all the wear parts and everything else is fine. I'm screwed woopee
Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You can forget about Acura goodwilling an actual replacement if this one fails you now that someone else has been inside it!
Part of their protocal is no opening of the case has occured- because the dealer certainly doesnt tear into the trans- so it must be the fault of whoever you went to!!
Thats how they cover themselves
Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
You can forget about Acura goodwilling an actual replacement if this one fails you now that someone else has been inside it!
Part of their protocal is no opening of the case has occured- because the dealer certainly doesnt tear into the trans- so it must be the fault of whoever you went to!!
Thats how they cover themselves
The sad part is that you are probably right, guess Ill have to sell this car before the warranty expires. I have 3 years to decide what to buy next.

Quick Reply: 2002 Tl-S 112k miles Tranny fails, $5700 +Labor