11/99 tl

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11/99 tl

OK guys need a hand. I'm pretty handy under the hood with my own stuff and have helped others, I'm pretty confident but knowledge is power and I could use some.

My brother has 2000 TL and it has issues. The CEL is on and the codes when read this fall were trans related. A friend of my sisters who works as a mechanic for Acura said clear the codes and run away. OK it's his only mode of transport and so he has kept driving it.

He called me a while ago to ask what would cause it not to start. He was going out shopping and the engine turns over fine but won't pop. He is near useless when it comes to mechanical things. I was going to have him pull a plug to see if he had spark but figure he could do more damage then good. I'll drive out in the morning to see what I can do but need a place to start.

He said the fuel pump sounds as if its running. He turned the key and heard a hum by the tank. So I'm ruling that out.

Now a few weeks ago while he was gasing up the the car is wife said there was a puff of smoke from under the dash and the heater quit. I'm reading through all that is posted on the blower motors while I'm here. Since its been driven every day for weeks since it happened I'm doubting its related.

I don't have a scan tool so codes can't be pulled that way. Older cars you could make the CEL light flash the codes is that possible on this?

Oh and he is about 80 miles from my house and lives in the country the better part of 20 from any Auto parts store. So I'll be going out there with just some basic tools.

So please anyone and everyone jump in with it could be this... so check that...

Again the car ran fine parked and a few hours later will not start the engine turns over strong but doesn't seem to fire. I had him put the phone near the engine when he tried it and it sounded good.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:47 PM
4th Gear

Oh one more thing, I have Bentley manuals for my car and a PDF version for Jetta found a spot for Nissan but have not found one for these cars. Any help there too.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Causes for "no start".....

Originally Posted by small_525
My brother has 2000 TL and it has issues. The CEL is on and the codes when read this fall were trans related. A friend of my sisters who works as a mechanic for Acura said clear the codes and run away. OK it's his only mode of transport and so he has kept driving it.
He called me a while ago to ask what would cause it not to start. He was going out shopping and the engine turns over fine but won't pop.
He said the fuel pump sounds as if its running. He turned the key and heard a hum by the tank. So I'm ruling that out.

Now a few weeks ago while he was gasing up the the car is wife said there was a puff of smoke from under the dash and the heater quit. Since its been driven every day for weeks since it happened I'm doubting its related.

I don't have a scan tool so codes can't be pulled that way. Older cars you could make the CEL light flash the codes is that possible on this?

Oh and he is about 80 miles from my house and lives in the country the better part of 20 from any Auto parts store. So I'll be going out there with just some basic tools.

Again the car ran fine parked and a few hours later will not start the engine turns over strong but doesn't seem to fire.
Welcome Small_525 !!!

It's sometimes difficult to be a good Samaritan, check the fuses and Immobilizer system first. Is the green key light on the dash blinking ? It could be something with the ignition interlock or relays. Try jumping the battery with the negative cable grounded separately to frame or block.

You could possibly attempt to bypass the interlocks and misc. stuff by pulling the battery cables and then directly jumping the starter. But be very careful, unless ya have done this before and feel comfortable with it.

Check previous posted threads for a similar problem, as they may be very helpful in troubleshooting.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:31 AM
4th Gear

OK so I texted him to see if he got the green key and he said yes. I figured that eiliminates one issue. Then I thought to ask if it flashed he never reply as he went to work. Well the green key flashes! Ignotion or immobilizer is it now to find the right link to either bypass or repair.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM
4th Gear

OK I pulled the ring off and went to find a new one. No one had one and of course its Sunday and no dealers are open.

Is this a dealer only item?

Is there programing that needs to be done once he new on is installed or is this simply plug and play.

Of course I'm heading home only to drive back out and finish!! No good dead goes unpunished.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Auto parts stores can get it. No programing needs to be done. It just reads the signal from the key for the ECU
Old 02-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Sometimes when family calls you have to answer, he should appreciate the fact you are going out of your way to help. Maybe buy you a pepsi and a bag of chips.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Unhappy Immobilizer receiver ring......

Originally Posted by small_525
OK I pulled the ring off and went to find a new one. No one had one and of course its Sunday and no dealers are open.

Is this a dealer only item?

Is there programing that needs to be done once he new on is installed or is this simply plug and play.

Of course I'm heading home only to drive back out and finish!! No good dead goes unpunished.

Hey Small_525, did ya ever get the starting issue resolved yet ?