02 TL-S Rear Door multiple issues

Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
02 TL-S Rear Door multiple issues

Hello Everyone,

I am frustrated.

So to start, I can't have anyone in the rear seats anymore as they can not get out on their own, I have to let them out as the door handles will not work for them to get out.

REAR LEFT - I have to hit the keyfob button multiple times for it to work.
REAR RIGHT - Door will not unlock and the unlock button does not move. The window is also not working. I have no idea how to open it right now and it is driving me nuts.

I can hear clicking that you are suppose to hear when you hit the unlock button on the keyfob.

The Stealership wants me to replace all the door hinges. These parts in Toronto are $550 each plus labour.

They insist it is not the door actuators. I disagree. I also belive the hinges can be regreased.

Help with this would be invaluable and you will be a hero to me.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Yup all of the Problems sound Electrical most Likely the Door Actuators in the R/ Left for the R/ Right it seems to be the Hinges! since you Hear a Sound but not movement seems to be Stucked somewhere in the Travel!

Why not Simply put the Covers out and Check for Youself with a Voltimeter?? buy a Little Grease and Bath those Suckers! (Not the Actuator Itself Tough if its Fried its Done For).

Actuators sell Cheap in Autozone You dont need Expensive OEM Ones for this kinda Part its not THAT Essential and Autozone has Good Warranty over them and Most likely it will be the Same OEM Part for Half the Price.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
If the "the door handles will not work for them to get out", it also a mechanical issue.

Can you not manually pull up the plastic "stick-out thingy" to unlock the doors from the inside ?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Also the Window is not Moving? Electrical for Sure...
The Motor is Toasted or Electrical Problem!

The Cover just Pop Off when you unscrew the 2 Screws holding the Cover! One in the Door Handle and the Other below the Arm Rest!
Unscrew the plastic door lock and just pop that sucker off from beneath put a Small flat screwdriver and carefuly pop the Cover with your fingers start to pop off everything! When it seems to be Hanging from the Window Edge you need to Grab the cover and pull it Up! to remove it from its Window Edge.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
6th Gear

Well, I'm still figuring it out, but I did get the right door open. By Fluke. It happened on the left side so in mild anger I did a light bodycheck hockey style on the door and tried the key fob, the door opened....then I said Hmmm and bodychecked the right side, it opened. So now I have both doors opening from the outside. But the manual door knob on the inside is stuck.

I believe that the door panel has to come off and I have to go to the manual portion by the hinge to grease that side up. This is the part connected to the door hinge that connects to the up/down lock indicator. Once this is done, the problem should be fixed. I don't think my issue was the actuator, but now to do a search to remove the door panel. Posted I will....
Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM
6th Gear

Door Fixed and Working

Well...the DOOR IS FIXED.

Took it to the in-laws place and we started fartin' around with it.

Once you take the door panel off, peel back the white moisture/vapour barrier and look at the assembly.

There are 2 horizontal metal rods, one is for the door handle (upper) and one is for the door lock knob (lower).

The door lock one was seized, it is suppose to move left and right (to make the door lock knob go up and down).

These two metal rods go towards the door latch assembly. We took out the door latch assembly. This is tricky, there are three bolts on the door side where the door closes. The child safety lock is part of this assembly.

Three screws on the side of the door have to be removed. Keep the window up.
Once the assembly is unscrewed from the metal portion of the door, it will drop down. There are 2 plugs that go into this assembly. Unplug those. At this point, the 2 horizontal metal rods can be unhooked from the connection points in the latch assembly. Carefully take these out so you don't break the plastic portions.

From here, you will need a 10mm extended ratched to remove the exterior door handle. The only way to take the latch assembly out is to go through the door handle once that is removed. (this took a while to figure out as we tried to move around the assembly with no give through the interior door frame).
Once we had the latch assembly out there are 3 moving parts to this assembly, the door handle, lock mechanism and child lock. The lock portion has 2 metal moving parts that had rusted together causing a seize. We seafoamed this area and started to wiggle the moving component until it gave. We then seafoamed all three moving portions until it was smooth.

Hooked everything back up in reverse order and tried the door lock and handle. WORKS. Did the same thing on the other side. That WORKS.

No Actuators were replaced during this. That latch assembly is the B.S. part.

Dealers are now into replacing parts instead of fixing parts. That is total bullshit. They wanted $400 for the latch assembly and told me they had to removed the rear seats and a whole mess of bullshit. Hopefully this will help a lot of you. Sorry I didn't have a camera for photos.
For those of you that have TL's, make a note to manually pull up and down the lock knob to make sure the parts are being used. This problem will be avoided when the parts are constantly being used.

Take care all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pacura:
rescuewindow13 (04-13-2012), shamal (09-06-2015)