02 TL...A couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011 | 08:04 AM
10th Gear

02 TL...A couple questions

Just bought a 02 TL type s with 120,000. It has the bluebolts, so I know the tranny has been replaced, and has the oil tube thing on it. I was going to call Acura and see when it was replaced on monday.

What I am trying to find out is if I should replace the fluid with redline? Precision Tune said I should replace it, but they always tell me that. I checked it out, it is red and clearish, and smells like cleaner. It seems to shift fine, a little hesitation, but no more than my o5 Pilot running through the gears. No lights are coming on. Accelerates and shifts well? What should I do? I don't want to cause any problems by flushing or whatever...any advice?
Old 05-14-2011 | 10:59 AM
Team Owner

oil jet kit on warranty unit means its the `original design` or pre 2005 redesign unit

I would change 3 qts with either honda or redline atf
clean the selenoids/pressure switches and finally replace the external filter
Take a 3 oz drain sample, send to blackstone labs for spectro analysis and determination of material in the fluid
Will tell you overall trans condition and clutch deterioration if higher than normal

machine powered flush is discouraged,,, but there are manual/gravity and engine powered methods that are fine and cause no problems

120,, the real question for you is: has the timing belt water pump job been done--due at 105 but....
Old 05-14-2011 | 11:07 AM
Team Owner

In fairness--unless you just owned another TL or your buddy lets you drive theirs-
you cant say how well its running or shifting

ck a spark plug- those are due with the 105
probably needs egr port and passage cleaning as well as TB full service-due at 75 and not found in any book or dealer suggested service but makes major diff in cars running!
All are easy DIY with common tools, and great write ups with pics found here in out diy section

Seafoam--now found cheapest at home depot of all places!!, `isle 53` it says on the shelf tag that one member found-- so that should work everywhere
under 5 bucks a can is a steal- buy 3 and restore fuel system and engine internals to `like new clean` for max combustion

Welcome to acurazine
please scroll thru the main list and the special sections Problems and fixes,,and Performance section
those contain 97 percent of all subjects,,if you cant find what you need after that-- a new thread is appropriate
Old 05-14-2011 | 04:09 PM
10th Gear

hey guys, Thanks for the advice! With a little searching, I tracked down the dealership about 50 mi. away that has done all the maint. since 2004! The guy pulled up my history. 1 owner- 30-60-90 all done on time! Oil jet done in 2004, said blue bolts doesn't necesarily mean new tranny? plugs and tune up 103,000...timing belt and water pump 105,000 done lat year! Transmission fluid done at 118,000(2,000 miles ago)...he also said that more than likey my car has a fine transmission, and they added the oil jet in 2004 because they did that to allof them that were brought in at his dealership, regardless igf they had problems...sounded like a very knowledgable man, and sugested always bringing to my local acura dealer...oil changes are 29 bucks and they clean your car..Im going with the dealership from now on, and of course, asking you guys! Now I can put a little money into the tint that's starting to peel, and 4 new tires! Anything I can do about dull looking front lights? Can't tell if it's inside or out?
Old 05-14-2011 | 04:13 PM
10th Gear

so waht's next..egr port and passage cleaning how much at dealership compared to DIY?
BIG QUESTION SEAFOAM? EXACT DETAILS IN ACURA ZINE SOMEWHERE?
Old 05-14-2011 | 04:14 PM
10th Gear

looking through the site..thanks! I will follow the threads!
Old 05-14-2011 | 06:51 PM
Team Owner

3rd line down the main thread list is DIY
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/new-official-2nd-gen-tl-diy-thread-706083/

see the special sections listed at bottem of main page--wash and wax has all you need to know on that subject to make the car look like new

hopefully you have the normal plastic glazing of the headlights- keep an eye on them for moisture inside--common prob--avoid pressure washing the headlights at car wash

Its easy to buff the plastic to a near new clarity,,use a regular cordless type drill and there are kits with plastic polish, a buffer pad and a few different grades of sanding and polishing pads
10-20 bucks for a complete kit at parts stores

dealer labor rate 100+ an hour,,probably charge 2-4 hours on the egr/tb service
Diy under 2 hours on egr, add 30 minutes TB service
our DIYs are well written by members who have done the job on their car and have tips added by others as the thread grows

the service guy slightly bs'd you
those blue bolts are found on warranty `rebuilt` (meaning not all brand new parts) units to let the techs know its a rebuilt -not original trans

The oil jet kit was a mandatory RECALL of 4 years worth of cars!! to prevent the 2nd gear shaft from snapping at 70mph,,cause the car to come to a very abrupt stop
Oil directly sprayed onto the area by the kit solved that problem

In 2005 there was a design change made to the case, so units made after that have the oil jet moved internal and be in a new case with a mix of new and used parts inside, same as always with warranty stuff from acura

Sounds like the owner took excellent car of the car- you totally scored on that 105 being done
I would do the valve adjustment if thats not already done
if done with egr its combined/overlapping labor so you save a few bucks at shop
they may want 4 hours for the valves!!

all it needs now are those small items,,seafoam you add to the gas for easiest method.
You can add to oil right before next change-thats really important if older person lugged the car, ran short trips in town all the time...leads to lots of sludge and crud buildup which seafoam will remove

You can wiki or google things about the TL too! but follow the azine directions for procedure--other cars are different than what you have now

register with 1 800 382 2238x5 and online as the new owner
http://owners.acura.com/registration...istration.aspx
You can store the radio and nav security codes there-
read the owner manual so you understand vtec and the brake and traction systems,
and look up details of your cars service and warranty history

If you have navi/gps this is where to get a new updated disc
http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT.../Default-Start

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 05-14-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2011 | 12:37 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for all the advice...a little tired after hand waxing it yesterday(3 hours), but it made it look amazing! It had been repainted so it was in pretty good shape. Who woulda thought I'd want to go in to work on sunday to have more money to put into it, sucked I was anding all day though! Going to seafoam it today, and plan on doing everything you mentioned over the next week. Again, thanks for all the help, and I'll take pics and let you know how it's going peeps.
Old 05-15-2011 | 09:29 PM
Team Owner

we have a special thread section for posting your car pics!!
Claybar is a great thing to use before polishing and waxing the car
it picks up crud you had no idea was there- leaves paint surface like glass- then you start to work on making it shine and protected
Also works on glass and plastic headlight lens!!

When you have the wheels off sometime- wax both sides of rims with 2-3 coats of synthetic car wax- cuts down on brake dust adhesion
Old 05-15-2011 | 09:32 PM
Team Owner

wait till you ask what tires to get~ the response is overwhelming lol