swimming anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts
swimming anyone?

So, as I'm going to clean out my trunk this morning and the rest of my car, I go to take out the spare tire (which i havent lifted up that area for months) and I notice as I grab the bottom of the board, its soaking wet. I lift the rest up to find this madness.

. WTF. It was so deep I could literally go for a swim in it if I wanted to. This is what I get for leaving my sunroof cracked and forgetting to close it through the epic rain that has been happening for the past month now . So anyways, I get to cleaning it cause I figure this is going to take awhile.

Scoop.......

Some more scooping......

Almost there

Heres the soaked spare

Heres a shitload of wires that I dont know what the hell they are for. Im not really good with electrical but I believe there is some grounding there for when I eventually pick up some beat but I really dont know.

Soaked up board...

And a few shots of the ride. Decided to snap a few while I'm airing the trunk out in the sun so it can dry as fast as possible. The rides super dirty, but I'm washing her today so she'll be fresh and clean later on.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

shit, mods if theres anyway you can fix the pics please help me out it wont let me edit the post i just moved the pics from one album to another on my photobucket and it broke all the links. the new album is called life of a UA5

like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...A5/photo-1.jpg

Last edited by mugenspire; 03-29-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added info to post
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cant tell if you got all the water out already, since your pics dont work....But, there is a drain plug in the bottom of the trunk.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
so you left your sunroof open for a month? and I think your trunk has a leak, mines does too, its right on top under the rear glass where the rubber goes for the trunk, check around there.......I have no idea how but yeah that shit leaks, and sucks
Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

There are the other two that didnt work ANC, sorry bout the pics. But yea its all drained out now and dry its been sitting in the sun for like 3 hours now. But JDM yea i left it cracked not all the way open pretty much everyday for the past month. i closed it here and there but cracked it open again eventually. Im gonna take a look at those spots and see if i can find anything in the meantime but for now its all dry again.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
SAME HAPPEN TO MINE..NOW I JUST ROLL AROUND WITH A GUTTED OUT TRUNK..WEIGHT REDUCTION ...CHECK THE STUDS THAT COME THROUGH THAT TIGHTEN THE TAIL LAMPS..TWO OF MINE WERE BROKE..(MOST LIKELY SOMEONE TRIED TO OVER TIGHTEN THEM AND THEY SNAPPED)...WATER WOULD SLOWLY LEAK THROUGH THERE..
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wires in your trunk are for a box/amp set up... The black wire with the yellow fork connector on it is to ground the amp...the red wire is the amp power wire..the skinny blue wire is the remote for the amp...and the pink-ish dual wire is the RCA that gives signal to the amp...cant tell what the rest are from the pic

Assuming that they are connected up front to your HU/battery correctly.... all you need is a box and an amp and you will have your beats.... all you have to do is find where the ground wire was attached to and re attach it

edit...you will need to get some speaker wire to go from the amp to the box if you don't have already

Others have made suggestions on where the water is coming from, I don't think it would come from the sunroof being left open with out everything inside the car also being wet, not just the trunk, unless you have a sunroof drain that is plugged/blocked

But I would check the rubbers that seal the trunk and where the tail light bolts go first

Last edited by Spoilaz; 03-29-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Always a Honda =Þ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
might be your tailight... water could get in thru there if not sealed properly..
Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

thanks for the feedback everyone i hope the mods can fix the pics so everyone can see or else ill just put them all in a new post on here. but thanks for the info on the wiring too spoilaz that helps a lot and im going to check all the other spots tomorrow to see if theres any leaks i spent the rest of the day washing my car and its too dark out to do anything else now.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:21 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

There, all the pics pardon the many posts just had to show the pics or else the entire thread would be pretty useless
Old 03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Rice Patrol

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
mine gets pretty wet too.

I haven't figured it out, I don't keep a spare tire So it doesn't bother me too much
Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
Start by replacing your tail light gaskets. I had the same problem in my 1G TL and replacing the tail lights gaskets solved my problem
Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
probs is the tail light gaskets IMO
Old 03-31-2011, 04:39 AM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Yea it doesnt look like my rear glass/trunk liner or anything cause i dont have any rips and such. Ill check the tail lights though too. I did notice when i changed them to the 02/03 that one of the gaskets was kinda effed up but never thought anything of it, that could be it, if so, time to find new gaskets. Would i be able to use the ones from my old tails or no?
Old 04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
2016 Acura TLX

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts
haha, i see the built in aquarium is a growing trend in the 2g lol. my navi wasn't working occasionally so looked in the trunk and found some dew on the dvd drive. on closer inspection the board and net had mold growing on it. opened up the spare tire well and and found baby sharks and dolphins in my in-trunk aquarium lol. on a serious note, take all the lining out to dry. my taillights were leaking so i used weather sealing for doors and put it around the edges of the lights (cheap home-made gasket). also on the sides of the trunk, there are black pins that stick out. mine were dripping so i covered everything up in liquid electrical tape (kinda like blue pvc glue).
Old 04-01-2011, 05:24 PM
3.2TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by freeaTLast
Yea it doesnt look like my rear glass/trunk liner or anything cause i dont have any rips and such. Ill check the tail lights though too. I did notice when i changed them to the 02/03 that one of the gaskets was kinda effed up but never thought anything of it, that could be it, if so, time to find new gaskets. Would i be able to use the ones from my old tails or no?
Most people recommend using the gaskets from your old tail lights if you purchased depo brand taillights.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 AM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Originally Posted by ThreePointTwoTeeEl
Most people recommend using the gaskets from your old tail lights if you purchased depo brand taillights.
my new tails are OEM tails but the gaskets werent that great when i installed them but i didnt think it would lead to this haha. so now i gotta go and find my old tails and replace em. and the reply about the aquarium made me lol literally haha good one dude.