Hit and Run. Suspect Still at Large.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 07:11 PM
checkmate...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit and Run. Suspect Still at Large.

I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but I was rudely introduced last Sunday. It was a nice, sunny day, and as I'm walking up to my car (that I parked in an open lot far enough from the closest potential door-dinger), I begin to realize that the bumper isn't showing a smooth, pleasing-to-the-eye reflection. What I see is evidence of criminal intent, and a felon on the loose.

Maybe someone left an envelope with a dozen benjamins underneath my wiper with a note you say? Or you might surmise that a good samaritan witnessed and videotaped the entire debacle on his, or her, hi-def digital camcorder. And that this same vigilante had time to whip out a damaging, testimonial sidekick to snap 8.0 MP still photos of the guilty party's face behind the wheel along with the plate which probably got intimately close enough to mine.

Ahh, but that only happens in real life, my friend. In my case, no one's around, no witnesses, no note, no apology, no "I'm truly sorry for not knowing how to back-up AND even more remorseful that I don't know how to own up to my mistakes AND I'll be damned if I didn't pay (literally) for my actions!"

Well, I must not be fortunate enough. Now I know that one can never avoid this predicament in their life, and so it was just my time. Surprisingly, I wasn't too angry about it. What was done was done, even though I didn't do it. Now, what can I do about it?

Here's my options:
1) Revive Einstein and force him to send me back in time so I can avoid it all
2) Employ myself as Inspector Gadget, Colombo, CSI (no such thing as Baton Rouge... so either Vegas, Miami, NY, you decide) to recreate that fateful day and hunt down the perp
3) Dent the left side of my bumper so as to create symmetric harmony with the right
4) Get it fixed out of my own pocket
5) Or attempt to perform (4) on my own

Would everyone agree that 4 or 5 is the most logical thing to do? Same here. Bodyshop estimates would most likely put a pricetag on a new bumper at $250 (?) and a new coat of paint at somewhere near the same (?). My insurance deductable is $1000 (I have my reasons on setting it this high), so I would rather foot the bill. Or maybe I would rather not. If deja vu played out, and this happened again on a new bumper, I would be less than overjoyed. So number 5 it is! This way, I repair it satisfactory enough and when someone does rear-end me eventually, and I'm there to see it unfold, I'll graciously let them pay for a new one. Besides, I can only justify getting a new one (whether it be just the paint or both) only if the visible damage is greater than 50% of the entire bumper.

So this weekend, I went to work...

First major dent, what a bummer...

My insurance adjuster surveying the damage...

This shot shows the depth of the indentation...

... which is several inches deep...

So, off comes the bumper cover...

I decided to perform a free exhaust tip mod (shown in later photos)...

By stepping on it (and using my weight), the dent popped back out...

...sort of. It's not perfect, but looks alot better. The paint on the other hand...

...will have to be addressed soon. A chunk is even missing, possibly stuck on the offending hit-n-runner.

And now the bumper is back on...

Where the hell is my Type-S badge? Oh, it's just a mirror image...

I polished the deep scratches as much as possible. This is the OEM exhaust tip...

... extended about 2 inches out. Some easy modding had to be done, but heck, it's free!

Paint piece still missing, along with some bubbled, lifted paint...

I'd rather live with this instead of $500+ out of my pocket...

Dent on the bumper, where?

The protruding tips will draw attention away from the less noticable dent...

I guess it was better that my car received damage on a less costly to fix plastic bumper than on a metal panel, like the doors. The dent is much less noticable now, although some raised edges and small punctures still remain. I can live with that. As for the paint, I will most likely have a bodyshop refinish that small section on the bumper and request that it be blended as best as possible. At the same time, I'll get them to body-color my front grille trim.

Hold on a sec... I could make a claim because I do remember a lady leaving the area quite recently. She caused quite a storm and spun out as she left in a hurry. Maybe I could blame this on her. Yea, she was quite large, on a scale of 1 to 5, I'd say she was close to a 5. If I remember correctly, her name was Katrina.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Advanced

great job on getting the dent out. I give you mad props.

D.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Instructor

nicely done
Old 11-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice write-up.

Sorry to hear about the misfortune, however. But the rest of the car looks great. I love ABP.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Nice, sorry it had to happen to you. I've had someone do the same except I was 5 seconds late noticing the incident. I just saw the driver driving away and realized what happened a few minutes later when I went outside. What will you do if you catch the person?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry that happened to your car. But it's great that you fixed it and it looks awesome! You have one very clean TL-S and the extended stock tips is a cool idea! Keep rollin' man. Nice job.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Wallace, LA

Sorry to hear it Roger. Man that sucks. I would have def. lost my shit. Great job fixing it...I'll keep my eye out for excess ABP on the cars around Baton Rouge.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 PM
My "P" SpAnKs YouR "S"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that bad at a quick glance I you cant tell anything happened.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

veryy nice job man, you can barely tell unless you point it out
Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NYZGREATST
veryy nice job man, you can barely tell unless you point it out
word...looks better
Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Mr. 2tone

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
holy fucking god...great work...tho...500 is a bit steep...i got my bumper repainted for 250...stage 2...n it looks awesome...
Old 11-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
damn that sucks but you did a good job covring it up
Old 11-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Good fix handyman!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's really cool you salvaged the situation... always a good feeling. It looks great again!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn..Great job on the fix.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:16 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by Brand Newb
... What will you do if you catch the person?
He or she can either pay for a professional repair, or if they can't part with their hard-earned FEMA severance, I will gladly accept returning the favor (but only if they have a nice car).
Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by SiCrew
Sorry that happened to your car. But it's great that you fixed it and it looks awesome! You have one very clean TL-S and the extended stock tips is a cool idea! Keep rollin' man. Nice job.
Thanks. I'm glad it's not too noticable either.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:23 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by TLsu
Sorry to hear it Roger. Man that sucks. I would have def. lost my shit. Great job fixing it...I'll keep my eye out for excess ABP on the cars around Baton Rouge.
Yea Mark, if you see any ABP flakes on a rear bumper of any car, send word. I'm guessing it might be a truck or SUV with a chrome or black plastic bumper, as I didn't have any paint transfer on mine.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by tzakiel
That's really cool you salvaged the situation... always a good feeling. It looks great again!
That might be why I didn't blow a fuse when I first saw it. I figured I would be able to do something about it on my own. At least I didn't have to resort to unloading a clip into a pillow like De Niro in 'Analyze This'
Old 11-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
same hit and run situation. But i wish i could pop my dent out. As for the cost of the bumper, the first time i got backed into, cost the other guy(my friends dad) $980. That with a new bumper, repaint and labor.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:56 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by MotionEffects
same hit and run situation. But i wish i could pop my dent out. As for the cost of the bumper, the first time i got backed into, cost the other guy(my friends dad) $980. That with a new bumper, repaint and labor.
$980??!!!!!!!!! And I thought $500 was about right. My deductable is still conveniently out of reach on that one. Plus, the OEM rear lip was scratched quite a bit too, but I buffed that out.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Cruisin'

That sucks dude. Ive got a couple hit-n-run on my car everytime i park next to my job. The dented the d/side passenger door but lucky paint didnt come off and somebody dinged my trunk and roof. Fuckin haters.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Toronto, ONTARIO

is your bumper the oem bumper? if yes .. wasnt it suppost to crack.. isnt the bumper plastic?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 AM
Registered Abuser

Good job on fixing that dent out.....I would still get it re-painted, but thats just me. Shit like that would drive me crazy.....
Old 11-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Advanced

good job on that dent man, props, nice car
Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the hit and run sucks... but you did a great job fixing it though
Old 11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
RickRoush03

good deal, i had to do the same on my first stang, parked on a slight up hill spot, and didn't leave it in gear, fucker rolled back into a car, i had to pay his shit, mine i got one of my NCO's to pop it out, spidered the paint, but soon after i got the ROUSH. Like right before i left, i saw the paint spidered on the top of the bumper, thinking it was a factory defect, nope, turns out someone bumped into it light enough for no real visiable damage unless you looked right ontop of it and saw the paint. No biggie, got it all repainted along with the hood at my cousins body shop!!

I'd say $300 to repaint the whole bumper, $175 to blend in just that corner.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:56 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by rpsouthsider
is your bumper the oem bumper? if yes .. wasnt it suppost to crack.. isnt the bumper plastic?
Yep, OEM bumper. It's hard plastic, but still flexible. If a sharp edge hit the bumper, then yea, it'll probably crack.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:01 PM
checkmate...

Originally Posted by RickRoush03
... i saw the paint spidered on the top of the bumper, thinking it was a factory defect, nope, turns out someone bumped into it light enough for no real visiable damage unless you looked right ontop of it and saw the paint. No biggie, got it all repainted along with the hood at my cousins body shop!!

I'd say $300 to repaint the whole bumper, $175 to blend in just that corner.
My paint finish received all kinds of damages: spidering, cracking, bubbling, peeling, and deep scratches. $175 to blend the corner, huh? I wonder how much more to also paint the front chrome grille?