XS Power Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 AM
W00t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XS Power Turbo Kit

I am aware that this kit is a stolen knock off from one of our members here. But with comptech closing down, and me wanting to go FI; I need to turn somewhere.

I know a few people with sucess stories with the XS Power Brand, and a few people with horor stories. I was thinking of getting this kit, and getting the rest of the required parts for it, and adding an actual garret t3/t4 turbo instead of the fake one they have on there. I figure since I have XS Power headers, and they are holding up perfectly fine, the piping in the XS Power Kit should hold up just fine also, or at least for 2 years. Im not going to run a whole lot of boost if I was to do this, so it shouldnt stress all the components as much (5-6psi). I talked to a shop around here just to see how much an entire custom kit would cost, and with their hourly rates and never working on an Acura TL, they were asking for ALOT.

Or I could use the shitty XS Power Garrett knockoff turbo and just reinforce it better since I heard they use "glue" to hold it together, which I think was improved since then. I also read that if you run a oil restrictor, it preserves its life better.

Im not here to get flamed, just throwing an idea out for an alternate and cheaper solution. Cheap doesnt not ALWAYS mean bad.. Discuss..
Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Drifting

if i had the money id buy it for the hell of it. and add the required parts to make it worth the price and of course to make it work. i say go for it n let us all know how it comes out since then it might encouage ppl to boost their TLs.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:05 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I was thinking of FI one day for my 2G, but I think i will wait until they come out with a better all around kit, that way you don't have to bother with mix-and-matching parts from everywhere and trying to get them all to work. I would rather have a proven system that I know will hold up.

Oh yea, and I have to have the money to do it
Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
W00t

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
I was thinking of FI one day for my 2G, but I think i will wait until they come out with a better all around kit, that way you don't have to bother with mix-and-matching parts from everywhere and trying to get them all to work. I would rather have a proven system that I know will hold up.
Yeah.. but its fun to mix and match

I have the money to do this since I was getting ready to purchase a SC, but we all know what happend. Im still thinking if I should go with this or not. I dont think alot of companies, if any, will design any kits for this car. Its been 8 years with this generation and the only thing that came out was a S/C. Custom FTW
Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with Comptech going out of business, tho, and now that the car's more affordable and available to the masses, which means it's available to more people interested in modding (like me ) there may still be hope ... If the setup you're suggesting works, tho, I'd be interested in finding out more about it... Mixing and matching isn't a problem (although funds may be right now... lol), because I agree, it's FUN
Old 02-28-2007, 12:57 PM
W00t

Originally Posted by speedbawlinTL
with Comptech going out of business, tho, and now that the car's more affordable and available to the masses, which means it's available to more people interested in modding (like me ) there may still be hope ... If the setup you're suggesting works, tho, I'd be interested in finding out more about it... Mixing and matching isn't a problem (although funds may be right now... lol), because I agree, it's FUN
You were the guy who had XS Power steal your design, right? I see your in MD too, I may just purchase this kit. Think maybe you can help me out with the install and gather of parts if I go with it?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 PM
KrAzY~KuNuK

comptech is going out of business????? what? since when?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by PiZauL
Yeah.. but its fun to mix and match

I have the money to do this since I was getting ready to purchase a SC, but we all know what happend. Im still thinking if I should go with this or not. I dont think alot of companies, if any, will design any kits for this car. Its been 8 years with this generation and the only thing that came out was a S/C. Custom FTW

I would talk to speedr73 or speeder73 (cant remember which but he is from ga) and 2001blkTLon19s.. they have both done custom turbo kits i'm pretty sure. What size housing is on the shitty turbo they provide? have you looked into oem turbos from other cars such as the 16G or t25 from a DSM? both of those will push 5-6 psi all day with no issues and remain reliable.

Some other things you need to consider- fuel management, bigger injectors (not sure if these are needed or not), better fuel pump (same thing, not sure if its needed), and exhaust upgrades.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:16 PM
Racer

Let me say something here. I am pretty new to TL and don't have any engine modifications. However, I have been looking at turbo posts round this forum and I have to say that I would be one of the people who would love to have a turbo charged TL. There is a thread for 3rd G TL's and they are working on a kit for it. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE us guys with 2G TL's also have possibilities of Turbo charging.

I say go for it, get that kit and mix and match!!! More power to you than me, I got no funds at this point. But if I did, I would most definitely look into making my TL-T and not TL-S
Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Drifting

there is a thread around with that xs power turbo kit, in that thread a guy had it on his accord, and the thing blew up pretty much, check with blktlon19's or whatever his sn is
Old 02-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Racer

You were the guy who had XS Power steal your design, right? I see your in MD too, I may just purchase this kit. Think maybe you can help me out with the install and gather of parts if I go with it?
haha... no... I really wish I was, tho... lol... I do remember reading about one shop in Waldorf that did some outstanding work, so yeah, there was someone from MD who turboed their TL (I think that's the setup XS ripped off)

I'd love to help you out (or at least follow your progress) with this, but I don't know enough about turbos to be a huge help... I'm kinda low on cash and I'm trying to put money into my car in other ways 1st (headers, exhaust, cosmetics, suspension, etc.), I'd be more of a help with research and plain old helping you work on your engine (a photographic memory helps with remembering where everything goes )... I'd love to help with the install if you trust someone else touching your car and don't minds having an eager set of hands to help out. I can't get my hands dirty enough and pretty much jump at any opportunity I get to work on cars now that my confidence is a lot higher (bought my TL in July, installed a CAI for both myself and a friend since then, replaced my brake pads this weekend, and just installed spacers by myself yesterday without a problem and pretty much have most of the engine compartment memorized now, too, from of a comination of opening my engine and being on this website way too often... lol)...
Old 02-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Racer

Shop in Waldorf:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=turbo

Turbocharged 99 TL:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=turbo

we can talk more at the meet this weekend or you can PM me or IM me if you don't mind me tryin to help you out with this
Old 02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
W00t

^ Ah I see. I just reread speedr73's thread again, and am questionable on this kit. I think what im going to first do is check out this shop is Waldorf and talk to somebody. If I do get involved with this, ill give ya a shout out speedbawlin.

I may just go with nitrous until the warranty on my tranny goes.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would stick with the SC. I bet there will be someone to fill in/continue with the SC. W wouldnt run that kit. If anything i would have one custom done.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry nitrous sucks unless your a 1/4 mile man. Runs out have to get it filled constantly.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:48 PM
W00t

Hopefully Paxon will start selling them since they manufacture them.. if so, I would def. hop on that route.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Sorry nitrous sucks unless your a 1/4 mile man. Runs out have to get it filled constantly.
Well, honestly I just wanna have it to use it when I need it. I would be using it conservativly, not spraying every single second. Say a Mustang GT rolls up with its I/E and starts talking shit, yes I can ignore it, but im sure most people here being car enthusiasts would wanna run this guy. Us TL-p'ers can't beat a stock GT.. This is one of those moments i'd spray. A 10ib bottle is good for 35 sprays. Just wanna know that when I need additional power, I have the choice to use it.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Im still going to look into the SC myself. I see no neecd to jump out and look for something now just because they are closing
Old 02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
W00t

Very true, looks like im jumping the gun a little quick here. As soon as I read that one thread, and I was going on to ebay to buy an AV6 SC, then not finding an auction.. I began to panic. I was so excited then depressed that I had to do something drastic, and quick. So I thought up of this lol.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Racer

^ Ah I see. I just reread speedr73's thread again, and am questionable on this kit. I think what im going to first do is check out this shop is Waldorf and talk to somebody. If I do get involved with this, ill give ya a shout out speedbawlin.

haha... sounds good. I'll be waiting! My tool set's alrady in my car and ready to go! (mainly because I was workin on it yesterday, tho... haha )...

and fsttyms, PiZauL may be jumping the gun a little, but as I mentioned earlier, I think Comptech closing now could actually make things a lot more interesting in the modding community because who knows what may come from trying to fill the void that left (if it ends up being for good)... even though it's only been a few days, it seems like people are suddenly leaving the path so many have taken to gain HP and are branching out now to try and figure out how to compensate for Comptech closing up shop... I've always felt the TL community's options were very limited and this already seems to be moving in the direction of broadening our horizons
Old 02-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Nitrous TL

Here's what i found when looking at turbos...
1) You will need a good stand alone ECU to get any real power out of the turb.
2) Most good stand alone ECUs are about $2500 + the cost of whatever turbo you plan on adding.
3) You are going to have a lot of tuning w/ injectors, fuel pump etc just to get it making good power.
4)I would rather spend the $ on a SC w/ a high boost pulley
5) As I like having what Kris calls a 1/4 mile car...Nitrous works well for my needs and fun. That and nothing is cooler then sending a purge cloud in the air...
Old 02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
W00t

Originally Posted by malingator
Here's what i found when looking at turbos...
1) You will need a good stand alone ECU to get any real power out of the turb.
2) Most good stand alone ECUs are about $2500 + the cost of whatever turbo you plan on adding.
3) You are going to have a lot of tuning w/ injectors, fuel pump etc just to get it making good power.
4)I would rather spend the $ on a SC w/ a high boost pulley
5) As I like having what Kris calls a 1/4 mile car...Nitrous works well for my needs and fun. That and nothing is cooler then sending a purge cloud in the air...
If I was to do this, this is how I would have it set up (probably like BLK has is setup)
-Greddy EManage and a GT35R turbo ($500-$1200)
-255lph Walbro Fuel Pump and 550CC Injectors or S2000 Injectors (which I could get cheap through my work)

Supercharger is kind of out of the question, or at least for now since what Comptech is going through.

Im pretty sure for now i'm just gonna do a Zex Dry Nitrous Kit, 50 or 75 shot.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Nitrous TL

Go with a WET sytstem it's MUCH safer than dry...
Old 02-28-2007, 04:45 PM
W00t

Really? I thought all kits were safe these days since they have management units . I know Wet Systems generally provide more power and are harder to install while dry kits are more user friendly and easier to install.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Supercharger is kind of out of the question, or at least for now since what Comptech is going through.

Why is that detouring you from the SC? the company that makes them for Comptech and does the repairs is still in buisness?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by malingator
I dont like Nitrous because i like to auto x and track the car. Nitrous is not good for those applications and would be empty in 5 min if i didnt blow the car up with it.

Why doesnt any one look into the rear mount turbo ( more and more turbo kits are going that route) and doing a custom set up. Far easier to do and alot less fabrication involved and cheaper. For mild boost a full standalone isnt needed.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Racer

I know the 3gen people looked into the rear-mounted turbo and I think the problem they ran into was where to mount the intercooler because of the bumper setup... as for 2gen TLs, I haven't really looked into rear-mounted turbos as all the reading I've done regarding turbocharging a 2gen has been on this forum
Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Mr. 2tone

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i cant really picture a place to mount the turbo...we have such limited space under our cars its ridiculous...even if we did find a place to mount it...theres no room for xtra piping to go bak to the engine...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 PM
W00t

blk2001tlon has the best setup imo, and most expensive.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Why doesnt any one look into the rear mount turbo ( more and more turbo kits are going that route) and doing a custom set up. Far easier to do and alot less fabrication involved and cheaper. For mild boost a full standalone isnt needed.
Those are rubbish. The turbo gets its spool from exhaust heat rather then pressure. There are a couple camoro guys who swear by them

As for the XS kit, whatever kind of turbo it is you need to run the right oil plumbing!!!!

I dont think a TL is worth the money to turbo. However you could peice together a good kit for about 2k with fuel. Like anything FI, a 3d map is best, but you could get away with a piggy back, just do not boost at low rpms.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:29 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
That's gotta be the busiest engine bay I've ever seen.

Is it really worth it too spend a ton of money for this setup. Anybody know how much power he's pushin from this.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:33 PM
W00t

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
That's gotta be the busiest engine bay I've ever seen.

Is it really worth it too spend a ton of money for this setup. Anybody know how much power he's pushin from this.
He is pushing 318whp/289wtq @ 6psi, according to the thing under his sig.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Advanced

anyone know the turbo specs? From the look of that cold side housing and a/r, 6psi doesn’t seem like it would be very efficient.. compressor size/trim?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:45 PM
No He Can't

I dont like Nitrous because i like to auto x and track the car. Nitrous is not good for those applications and would be empty in 5 min if i didnt blow the car up with it.

I saw a special on SPEED the other day where they were doing the rear turbo setup on a new Corvette. How less efficient is the rear setup than the front? When I do go forced induction, I might look into doing that, since I don't want a lot of boost, just more power and the sound.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by speedbawlinTL
I know the 3gen people looked into the rear-mounted turbo and I think the problem they ran into was where to mount the intercooler because of the bumper setup... as for 2gen TLs, I haven't really looked into rear-mounted turbos as all the reading I've done regarding turbocharging a 2gen has been on this forum
Unless you plan on running alot of boost there isnt a huge need for a intercooler. Plus with where its mounted there is less heat generated. The front of the ned gen can hold a intercooler if you think you need it.

Originally Posted by z3Ro
i cant really picture a place to mount the turbo...we have such limited space under our cars its ridiculous...even if we did find a place to mount it...theres no room for xtra piping to go bak to the engine...
You need to get under the car. There is plenty of room. If it was dont right there would be plenty of room for both pipes to run right up the tunnel.

Originally Posted by Studio
Those are rubbish. The turbo gets its spool from exhaust heat rather then pressure. There are a couple camoro guys who swear by them

As for the XS kit, whatever kind of turbo it is you need to run the right oil plumbing!!!!

I dont think a TL is worth the money to turbo. However you could peice together a good kit for about 2k with fuel. Like anything FI, a 3d map is best, but you could get away with a piggy back, just do not boost at low rpms.
Its not rubbish. Just because its new and not many have it.
Ive seen the setups before. they arent bad. HP TV just put oneo n a C6 vette. it was like 550 hp at teh wheels, no lag. simple set up.

No need for all sorts of expensive custom manifold work. Alot less heat under the hood= more power.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Ok now you heard my im off to finish my hot wings and pitcher of beer!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Intermediate

Really? I thought all kits were safe these days since they have management units . I know Wet Systems generally provide more power and are harder to install while dry kits are more user friendly and easier to install.
Pizaul you still on?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:13 AM
No He Can't

Kris, look a few posts up, I saw that same special on SPEED. That Corvette sounded so lovely when the turbo spooled up.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Advanced

This is nothing new at all, its been around since the mid 80's. STS turbo has been making kits since 2003.

The money that the tubing and proper couplings cost I would rather spend on a manifold.

I wouldnt want my turbo to also act as a skid plate.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:55 AM
W00t

Originally Posted by damonb70
Pizaul you still on?
What ya mean? On as on aim, or on as in am I pursuing with the nitrous set up?

I plan on purchasing a Wet Zex Nitrous Kit, Bottle Warmer, Remote Opener, and Purge kit this week

I think i'll pass on a turbo or SC kit, talked to a buddy of mine and he convinced me to just wait till my next car.. which will have factory turbo(s) anyway.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:06 AM
Low and Slow

Kris, what was the other mounting option you were referring to with the turbo? I honestly still think I am going to go the SC route. Dead or not, Comptech still made a great product. Or Paxon, or whoever

Quick Reply: XS Power Turbo Kit