Testing waters for Random Tech cat TL & CL....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RT's cat is as follows 2" in an out, 17" in length with an O2 bung after the cat. Where is the discrepency?

This is it:

Old 12-05-2005, 05:03 PM
99 SSM Tl

Originally Posted by Dezod
It was done on an 01 CL-S. According to them, the TL share the same cat for the 3.2L motor.
Tlp and Tls do not share the same cat.. and i think 2in is not big enought for the input and maybe for the output..
Old 12-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MrAlex
Tlp and Tls do not share the same cat.. and i think 2in is not big enought for the input and maybe for the output..
Is that speculation? We need concrete facts and pictures before any more poor information goes around, do you think?

So the TL and TL-S have different cats? I will call my girl Carrie @ Honda Corp tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Comptech Freak

Is that speculation? We need concrete facts and pictures before any more poor information goes around, do you think?

So the TL and TL-S have different cats? I will call my girl Carrie @ Honda Corp tomorrow.
we have been talking about that for more than 3 pages already

and they ahve different cats, i knew it coz i have put a TL-S cat into my TL-P

and ur cat is only for TL-P only, it's slightly smaller than the TL-S cat
Old 12-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by samkws
we have been talking about that for more than 3 pages already

and they ahve different cats, i knew it coz i have put a TL-S cat into my TL-P

and ur cat is only for TL-P only, it's slightly smaller than the TL-S cat
CA cars might be different. It has been documented that sometimes CA cars have some different specs than US cars. This would not be the 1st time of this.

Are both the TL & TL-S 3.2L motors?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 PM
99 SSM Tl

Yeah they are bot 3.2L engine .. and the Tl are all the same in the Us.. but tlp are not like tls (for the cat/exaust)... maybe someone can provite a tlp and tls cat to random tech ..
Old 12-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Comptech Freak

CA cars might be different. It has been documented that sometimes CA cars have some different specs than US cars. This would not be the 1st time of this.

Are both the TL & TL-S 3.2L motors?

this is getting me annoyed, we are trying to provide info for you but u dun even bother to find out on your own, as a distributor, you are responsible to let the manufacturer to know what's the response from the potential customers and the fitment issues, if we have to talk to the manufacturer on our own then you dun need to be a distributor, i can call in and ask to be one as well

there are ppl interested(not me) but you simply just turned them away with ur attitude and you simply dun care, so why bother to sell it then?

and the person who bought the cat from u is not from canada, he's from US and his type-S does not fit with your cat

why dun you ask the manufacturer to buy both regular and type-S cat at acura parts and find out the difference? this is the only way to solve the problem, stop talking shit coz both cats are different in bolt size and length
Old 12-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
California cars do have the O2 sensor in a different location. I believe CA cars have the O2 sensor in the back. Not a 100 percent sure though.....
Old 12-06-2005, 08:42 AM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by @sport
California cars do have the O2 sensor in a different location. I believe CA cars have the O2 sensor in the back. Not a 100 percent sure though.....

Dezod
We need 100% clarification on this issue before any purchases are made
Old 12-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by mezzerTL-S
maybe Dezod should do a poll on how many tl type-s owners on this forum would be serious enough to buy one to see if there is enough interest to bother, also I think that Random Tech should do thier own leg-work ie; measuring and templates and such since they are the mfg. i'm sure that they didn't manufactuer all the other cat's based on customer measurements
I'm not really sure why everyone is jumping on Dezod's back. He was just suggesting to do a group buy. Upon further research, the cat that RT says will fit may not fit. Also, if we really want to get this thing going. A member or an owner should contact Random Tech to set up something to get exact measurements for fitment. It shouldn't be that difficult and the participator may even get a free cat or discounted cat.

This wouldn't be the first time we needed a member to help the manufacturer develope an aftermarket part.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by phipark
I'm not really sure why everyone is jumping on Dezod's back. He was just suggesting to do a group buy. Upon further research, the cat that RT says will fit may not fit. Also, if we really want to get this thing going. A member or an owner should contact Random Tech to set up something to get exact measurements for fitment. It shouldn't be that difficult and the participator may even get a free cat or discounted cat.

This wouldn't be the first time we needed a member to help the manufacturer develope an aftermarket part.
why are you quoting me and saying "everyone is jumping on Dezod's back" where in any of my posts do I jump on anybodys back, get stuffed phipark you pilon, did you even read my other posts... obviously not... maybe someone in the same area as Random Tech. will go and do this but I'm in Toronto so it won't be me, and btw I had already ordered the cat and had to cancel due to this issue and have no hard feeling toward Dezod whatsoever (or RT for that mattter) all I'm saying is the RT should do the R&D on the cat and don't ask the customer to it
Old 12-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Not Asian

why are you quoting me and saying "everyone is jumping on Dezod's back" where in any of my posts do I jump on anybodys back, get stuffed phipark you pilon, did you even read my other posts... obviously not... maybe someone in the same area as Random Tech. will go and do this but I'm in Toronto so it won't be me, and btw I had already ordered the cat and had to cancel due to this issue and have no hard feeling toward Dezod whatsoever (or RT for that mattter) all I'm saying is the RT should do the R&D on the cat and don't ask the customer to it
First, chill out. Second, I was merely trying to quote the manufacturing part. You are right, I probably should have quoted somebody else. But, wow, you sure do get your panties in a bunch quickly over nothing.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:41 PM

First, chill out. Second, I was merely trying to quote the manufacturing part. You are right, I probably should have quoted somebody else. But, wow, you sure do get your panties in a bunch quickly over nothing.
maybe you should actually think and read before you type and people won't have a problem with it and btw there you wifes panties
Old 12-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Not Asian

maybe you should actually think and read before you type and people won't have a problem with it and btw there you wifes panties
I'll have to talk to her. I told her to stop leaving them at her job.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Wallace, LA

Sweet, shit talking via message boards. Does it get more intense than this?

And yes that was sarcastic.

I don't really know phipark but from what I remember dealing with Sam and Jeff you are good guys...you're better than that.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by TLsu
Sweet, shit talking via message boards. Does it get more intense than this?

And yes that was sarcastic.

I don't really know phipark but from what I remember dealing with Sam and Jeff you are good guys...you're better than that.
Water under the bridge. Now back to the cat.

Any type-s owner live in or around Atlanta to have RT check out the stock cat? Or does anybody no someone down there that can PM him?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Racer

Do a thread search Dezod, I know some members have swapped cats and have specs for inlet and outlet diameter. As far as Cali cats being different, you are correct, but I don't think the O2 sensor placement is different. Stock cats for Cali utilize a more restricitive cat construction for even lower emissions than that of the other 49 states. I could be wrong, but thats what I always believed and noticed in the past.

As a distributor, you should go back to RT and ask them to do the research if they want to start manufacturing a product. Tell them where the discrepencies are and for them to get all the information about it. Your job as a distributor is to guage interest for sale, their job as manufacturer is to do the R&D and produce the correct parts. Enough said. And if you are finally able to make one for the 03 TL-S without flaws, I will be the first to purchase.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Instructor

this is getting me annoyed, we are trying to provide info for you but u dun even bother to find out on your own, as a distributor, you are responsible to let the manufacturer to know what's the response from the potential customers and the fitment issues, if we have to talk to the manufacturer on our own then you dun need to be a distributor, i can call in and ask to be one as well

there are ppl interested(not me) but you simply just turned them away with ur attitude and you simply dun care, so why bother to sell it then?

and the person who bought the cat from u is not from canada, he's from US and his type-S does not fit with your cat

why dun you ask the manufacturer to buy both regular and type-S cat at acura parts and find out the difference? this is the only way to solve the problem, stop talking shit coz both cats are different in bolt size and length
First and foremost, I am attempting to help you guys out here, but apparently some people can not moderate themselves and continue to provide un-necessary responses to simple questions. With the attitude I have been given, all of this negativity and disbelief of anything I or anyone else says...quite frankly I was not even sure I wanted to do this even after the 1st page. I was trying to fulfill the needs of the customers who PM'd me sometime ago. I am being told 2-3 different things by different people and parties. The manufacturer is stating one thing. Some people are stating others. I offered to help facilitate some one donating their cat for a TL-S, to verify somethings....a few people volunteered, but no one stepped forward. We are more than willing to work with calm, civil and polite people, otherwise we are not here to catch the brunt of a shit storm for no reason, and especially when we are not the maker of the item. If you were asking a stranger for help and he started swearing at you and became a little hostile, would you continue to help? Let's be realisitic and calm. Take a shot, a deep breath and relax.

We spoke to Random several times, and they are willing to help out with open arms.....No one helper thus far. STILL AT SQUARE ONE. Clay openly told me to have you guys call him. Simple as that. He even said there is no need for me to be involved at this point until fitment and such is verified. He asked a small hand in attmepting to facilitate a donor.....I did....no success.

Furthermore, to be quite honest, I am not aware of anyone that bought a TL cat from us recently. So I believe that you may be mistaken there. To conclude, we just ask for civil conversation, simple answers back by fact, no profanity and that's it. Not hard. [end of rant]
Old 12-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Now that THAT has been addressed....Apparently the TL-P and the TL-S have a similar cat, but are different in inlet and outlet diameters according to some. Some are saying it's 2.5" both ways, others are saying it's 2.25" one way and 2.5" on the other end. Length is still foggy. Some people are saying the TL-S is longer than the TL-P. My question is.....is the CL-S similar to the TL-S. Considering that the CL-S, I believe Random said was the car it was built on.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Update Acura OEM cat part numbers:

00-03 TL-P 18160-P8E-L01
fits: TL 4DR TL, TL 4DR TL NAVI

02-03 TL-S 18160-PGE-A00
fits: TL 4DR TYPE-S, TL 4DR TYPE-S NAVI

01-03 CL-S 18160-PGE-A00
fits: CL 2DR CL, CL 2DR CL NAVIGATION, CL 2DR SPORT, CL 2DR SPORT NAVIGATION

01-03 CL-P 18160-P8E-L01
fits: CL 2DR PREM, CL 2DR PREM NAVIGATION

more tomorrow.....night people
Old 12-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Wallace, LA

[QUOTE=phipark]Water under the bridge. Now back to the cat. [QUOTE]

Old 12-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by JimmyTLS
Do a thread search Dezod, I know some members have swapped cats and have specs for inlet and outlet diameter. As far as Cali cats being different, you are correct, but I don't think the O2 sensor placement is different. Stock cats for Cali utilize a more restricitive cat construction for even lower emissions than that of the other 49 states. I could be wrong, but thats what I always believed and noticed in the past.

As a distributor, you should go back to RT and ask them to do the research if they want to start manufacturing a product. Tell them where the discrepencies are and for them to get all the information about it. Your job as a distributor is to guage interest for sale, their job as manufacturer is to do the R&D and produce the correct parts. Enough said. And if you are finally able to make one for the 03 TL-S without flaws, I will be the first to purchase.

By the way...I'm pretty sure the outlet on the TL-P cat is 2in...and the outlet on the Type S cat is 2.25in
Old 12-07-2005, 08:31 AM

[QUOTE=TLsu][QUOTE=phipark]Water under the bridge. Now back to the cat.

I second that (or third)... Here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to order the one that fits the CL-S mentioned in test results on the first page of this thread, since the OEM part #"s match for the TL-S and the CL-S i shouldn't have any problems installing it , if it works or not I will find out and let you guys know, if it doesn't work I send it back no harm done and I'm out shipping costs no biggie
Old 12-07-2005, 08:38 AM
Not Asian

I second that (or third)... Here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to order the one that fits the CL-S mentioned in test results on the first page of this thread, since the OEM part #"s match for the TL-S and the CL-S i shouldn't have any problems installing it , if it works or not I will find out and let you guys know, if it doesn't work I send it back no harm done and I'm out shipping costs no biggie
There we go. At least we know the CL-S and TL-S have the same cat. I would assume the CL/TL-P has a smaller outlet.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 AM

I just checked the stock exhaust manifold that is sitting in my shop and to my surprise the inside dimension of the connection to the cat is only 2" so like i said in my last post i'm buying the cat and see how it goes if it doesn't fit maybe it can be modified to fit or i send it back
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Instructor

I just checked the stock exhaust manifold that is sitting in my shop and to my surprise the inside dimension of the connection to the cat is only 2" so like i said in my last post i'm buying the cat and see how it goes if it doesn't fit maybe it can be modified to fit or i send it back
You have a TL-S, correct?
Old 12-08-2005, 08:08 AM

You have a TL-S, correct?
100%
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Comptech Freak

jeff
i should have gave you my TL-P cat sitting in my garage to measure, i think it's not the same size
Old 12-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Instructor

jeff
i should have gave you my TL-P cat sitting in my garage to measure, i think it's not the same size
Can we confirm?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Not Asian

jeff
Go measure right now and report back.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:19 PM

this is the stock exhaust manifold from my TL-S

this is me measuring the ID of the exhaust manifold

as you can see the ID is 2" , the only other measurment I'm not sure of are the ID of the cat, and I won't know until I take it off to try the install of the cat I'm going to order
Old 12-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Awesome!

Let me know when your ready to order
Old 01-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Not Asian

Update? News?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Update? News?
Lookin here as well. We shipped his cat to him sometime ago....
Old 01-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Not Asian

Lookin here as well. We shipped his cat to him sometime ago....
Ok, cool. I'm sure the holidays are slowing him up.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 AM

I received the cat between Chistmas and New Years opened the box, looked at the it and closed the box and thats about as far as I've gotten. I will be checking to see if it will fit this weekend if everything looks good I'll be doing the install at the same time and will take and post pics next week. So hang in there and I'll be sure to let you guys know whats going on .
Peace, Jeff
Old 01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have the cat, my speed shop was in contact with RT and he said that they had to special order the cat because of the fittment i dont remeber the exact dispute or reason/ Otherwise i like the cat , although didnt really feeling any gain or anything. I did it because i wanted a complete new exhaust system front to back.........
Old 01-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Instructor

I received the cat between Chistmas and New Years opened the box, looked at the it and closed the box and thats about as far as I've gotten. I will be checking to see if it will fit this weekend if everything looks good I'll be doing the install at the same time and will take and post pics next week. So hang in there and I'll be sure to let you guys know whats going on .
Peace, Jeff
Awesome. Keep us posted Jeff
Old 01-06-2006, 03:41 PM

Hey Phesto, are you driving a TL-S or TL-P?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Not Asian

Hey Phesto, are you driving a TL-S or TL-P?
03 TL-S

Quick Reply: Testing waters for Random Tech cat TL & CL....