Supercharger done and all of a sudden things start going south

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Supercharger done and all of a sudden things start going south

It took me forever but I finally made the time and got the supercharger on my 2000 TL 66,500 miles. Ive had it for 2 weeks and it runs great. Had to find a vacuum leak that was causing my idle to go up and down from 1000rpms all the way to 3500 like a see saw effect. Many said it was the IACV Idle air control valve which I changed and that didnt fix it even though the code was P0505. Everything made sense that it had to be a vacuum leak since I was idling at 1000 even when the throtle was choked. I fixed the vacuum leak and it ran great. Here is where everything goes south.

Problem 1
I think one of my motor mounts is bad. I felt a jerk when I let off the gas at low speeds before I even put the blower on. Then when I had my vacuum leak it was worse. Now I still feel it but barely. How can I know for sure if its bad and if so can it be changed without removing the blower. I had one changed under warranty a few years ago.

Problem 2
Just yesterday I started to hear a click tick tick tick click metal sound when my engin Idles. I noticed the sound coincided with the movement up and down from my belt tensioner which I am wondering if it should even be moving up and down? I guess if all the pulleys are round then why would it bounce up and down? At any rate does anyone know if it is difficult to change?

Problem 3

Had my wheels balanced and rotated yesterday. As soon as I left I hear a click . . click . . . click click click sound from the passenger wheel. I tried re mounting the wheels and torquing with a wrench to only 80 lbs and still the noise. I took my brembos off looked at the rotor and it seems fine even remounted it in case it wasnt sitting flush. Still makes the clicking noise. Could this be my drive shaft? would it do it when you drive straight at around 15 miles per hour or less? Is that expensive and if so does anyone make a stronger shaft for the V6 honda engine? I remember seeing a complete front with brakes and driveshaft from some company for the accord v6 years ago in a magazine. We have the same shaft so I was hoping if I need to change them I can use something better.

I am wondering if I fix them if they will come back soon to haunt me again! Please share any experiences you have had with these types of issues and solutions are even better
Does anyone have these issues or have had them and is the supercharger agrivating them or simply making existing or non preventable problems more noticable.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Which kit did you get the 98-02 v6 kit or the TL-S kit?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:20 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
try loosening your caliper bolts up...mine was making a tonking noise when they were too tight...try that..it scared me at first too just try thta first
Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Tighten the bolts loosen the bolts lol
Thats why every fastner on the car has a spec for the torque to be applied to it!

To be helpful:
Some movement of the tensioner is normal- what with all that belt motion going on and it needing to stay tight, if its really bouncing- like an inch- something is not right, could be anything connected to the belt has drag/wear and may be the culprit. On another car I had that, and it was the water pump

Motor mount can be tested with a friends help and the old hold the brakes- give it gas trick- if the motor moves visually you will know what the problem is

Driveshafts of the CV nature for front wheel drive cars make a clickin noise at low speed and turning the wheel- indicator of bad bearings inside
Thats when the bearing load is heaviest- you may not hear it over other road noise
How are the rubber boots on the cv joints?

Guessing that you drove the car hard before the blower, so wear may have occured on the driveline- do any burnouts? That'll kill your cv's too
For the race car we carry spares because kissing the berms will wear them out too

Let us know!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
where was yoru vacuum leak?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Drifting

also,....as for your pulley clicking, I think I have the same noise. its more of a squeaking, which comes from the idler pulley? If thats the one, it should be replaced. Unfortunately the blower will nee to be pulled for that. I am going to have mine changed later this month when I do a 105K maintenance...then I will stick my blower on

Also, are you having any issues with boost leakage?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone. As far as what I know now here goes.

Kit was custom some accord parts TLS and CLS 6 speed parts.

My clicking noise I figured out today was that the tech added sticky weights on top of existing sticky weights. The result was the top of the new weights was rubbing against my caliper wearing both the balancing weight and my Brembo caliper I guess my driveshaft is OK for now.

My air leak was from the fuel injection air control valve. It has 2 hoses that have plastic elbows at the end. Those werent making a tight fit in the intake runners. Solution was a thicker O ring. Havent tested boost yet so I dont know how many lbs of boost I am producing. I know my leak is gone because Idle is 700 and no more up and down on the RPMs The difference is amazing in power.

The clicking sound in my engine bay is best discribed at metal marbles in a thick can that are bouncing randomly as if air was blowing them around. The sound is on the belt side nowhere near the blower which people often discribe as marbles. Movement doesnt bother me but rambling metal taps and clicks does LOL.

If I hold down the belt tensioner with a wooden stick the sound gets less noticable so I wonder if its bad. also I though the mark on it is suppossed to stay within the 2 lines which is is actually pass those marks. Anyone know anything on this.

Where is the water pump and what does it sound like when its gone bad?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is this where your marker sits when the car is off?

[IMG]members.aol.com/rwtget/pics/Belttensioner1[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 02-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

how do I show my FTP image here? I have AOL
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 02-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

http://members.aol.com/rwtget/pics/tension
Old 02-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
The blower itself makes a sound similar to marbles in a can at idle. If you hear that sound though at WOT it could be detonation.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 2000 tl skirted, wood but i need to find front lights after market any one know where i can find that
Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

The noise is definately soming from the belt side and I see the tensioner move up and down with the noise while it is idling. Noise goes away past 100 RPMs. But if I hold down the tensioner the noise is not as noticable. Is everyone elses marker line not in between there lines in the pic on the tension housing?

I am definately not confusing it with the blower noise on the other side.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Man I wish I could help you, but my blower isnt on yet. You might have better luck over on the CL forums. Are you the same member that had the JDM Inspire front bumper for sale a while back?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yep a long time ago.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Drifting

^^holy crap, nice to see you are still around and still have the TL. any pics of the car?