Strutbar: Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009 | 09:57 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
??? but the bar is stiffer. knowing the thickness of the bars metal is like knowing spring rates. Pretty much useless information to everyone

Why wold he cut open a perfectly fine bar How about you do a little legwork and contact those companies and see what they metal they are made of and the gauge they are made out of
cause i am such a awesome friend
what if i don't have any legs to do some legwork

i do have both legs and they work perectly fine
Old 10-30-2009 | 03:02 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by AdamType-S
i need to improve my handling.. the ass end swings around too much when i whip around turns.. is it more cost effective to just go with the sway bars than new shocks and springs?
Each brand of sway bar sets has it's own front/rear stiffness value, and thus will give the car vastly different handling characteristics.

So rather than trying out multiple sets of sway bars to tune your car to your likings, it deems more time and cost effective to use adjustable shocks to tune for understeering/oversteering characteristics.

First, make up your mind and settle on a set of sway bars. A set of stiffer sway bars will much reduced body roll which even aftermarket shocks/springs aren't particular effective in improving.

Then buy a set of adjustable shocks and lowering springs. By changing the damping value of the front shocks vs the rear shocks, you'll be able to tune your car from heavy understeer -> neutral -> all the way to heavy oversteer, and vice versa.

If you want to do a quickie fine tuning, varying the front to rear tire pressures will also help.

To dial in more oversteer :
(1) set the rear shocks firmer than the front shocks.
(2) set the front tires pressure higher than the rear tires.
(3) use a rear sway bar stiffer than the front sway bar.

To dial in more understeer (not realistic situation for our front heavy FWD TL) :
(1) set the front shocks firmer than the rear shocks.
(2) set the rear tires pressure higher than the front tires.
(3) use a front sway bar stiffer than the rear sway bar.

Have Fun !
Old 10-30-2009 | 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Each brand of sway bar sets has it's own front/rear stiffness value, and thus will give the car vastly different handling characteristics.

So rather than trying out multiple sets of sway bars to tune your car to your likings, it deems more time and cost effective to use adjustable shocks to tune for understeering/oversteering characteristics.

First, make up your mind and settle on a set of sway bars. A set of stiffer sway bars will much reduced body roll which even aftermarket shocks/springs aren't particular effective in improving.

Then buy a set of adjustable shocks and lowering springs. By changing the damping value of the front shocks vs the rear shocks, you'll be able to tune your car from heavy understeer -> neutral -> all the way to heavy oversteer, and vice versa.

If you want to do a quickie fine tuning, varying the front to rear tire pressures will also help.

To dial in more oversteer :
(1) set the rear shocks firmer than the front shocks.
(2) set the front tires pressure higher than the rear tires.
(3) use a rear sway bar stiffer than the front sway bar.

To dial in more understeer (not realistic situation for our front heavy FWD TL) :
(1) set the front shocks firmer than the rear shocks.
(2) set the rear tires pressure higher than the front tires.
(3) use a front sway bar stiffer than the rear sway bar.

Have Fun !
Spot on.