SS Autochrome questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:23 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SS Autochrome questions

I bought the XS Headers and the underdrive pulley from SS Autochrome and they just arrived today. Upon opening the box, I found some strange stuff and wanted to see whether anyone else has seen this.

1) Along with the headers and gaskets/hardware, there was also a FedEx envelope in the box with a bright blue 90 degree silicon hose copuler inside it. Smaller diameter on one end and larger diameter on the other. No clamps or anything...just the coupler. Now, I don't think I am smoking anything, but I just want to make sure. This is an accident, right? I don't need this part to install headers?

2) I opened the box with the supposed pulley in it. Instead of the pulley in the picture on SS Autochrome's website, I found two adjustable camshaft pulleys with the little key pieces for aligning them to the cam. Once again, I don't think I am on any illegal substances, but that is not what I ordered for the $20 they charge for their pulley, is it? At this point I don't even know if these cam pulleys fit a Honda V6 or not.

Anybody's input would be appreciated.

Also, since this is my first major post on Acurazine, nice to meet all of you! My name is Aaron, I live in Scottsdale, AZ and I drive an 03 TL Type-S SSM with 19" Falken Torque 5 wheels and Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:30 AM
B A N N E D

I would send them an email and get my $ back or the right parts
Old 10-11-2007, 07:31 AM
[cars, anime]= Japan

hmm sounds weird. Im planning to order XS headers soon too, do they ship pretty fast?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts
2ndgentl

Hmmm.....I got mine in three days. As far as your screwed up order, I would keep the headers and install them, but send the pullys back and get the right ones, but make sure you e-mail them first and let them know what happened.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I don't think you need a silicon hose to install the headers or a pulley.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 PM
6th Gear

Samurai, it only took about 3 or 4 days to have them shipped. Very fast.

Everyone else, I did email SS Autochrome yesterday about the situation and so far, no response today. If I don't hear back from them by end of day tomorrow, I guess I'll have some cam gears to sell or install some day. At least if I keep them, I'll only be out $20. Still, this does not look good on their reputation, considering all of the good things people have said about them on these forums.

Oh well, we're all human.

I'll let y'all know if this gets resolved successfully.

Later!
Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 AM
2003 TL-S A-SPEC

a picture is worth a thousand words. Can you show us what you're talking about?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
There should be no hose involved.

Are YOU sure you ordered the right part?

And Finally

I wouldnt use any Pulley other than UR
Old 10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Thats really wierd. Sounds like you got the wrong stuff! I wonder if the headers are even for the right car. You should def post some pix of the TL tho. Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
6th Gear

Yeah, the headers are correct, and they look great. They go on the car Sunday. Already got the factory manifold gaskets, and stainless steel hardware to replace the garbage they sent with the unit.

As far as whether I ordered the correct item. I believe so. The part number on my invoice matches the part number on their website for the Honda/Acura V6 pulley. It is not a crank pulley, though, according to the picture on their website. I beleive it is a P/S pump pulley. Anybody have any experience with this thing? For $20, it can't be that magical.

I'll post pictures of the car and get a signature for my postings, etc., some day soon. I work most of the day and usually don't have the energy after I get home to screw around taking pictures. Maybe this weekend after the headers go on, I'll dust off the camera.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Later!

P.S. - Still no response from SS Autochrome.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:36 PM
6th Gear

Thumbs down Headers Installed

Well, I have my headers in. I have to say, I am not impressed. The throttle response is a bit better, and the car seems very slightly quicker, but not as much as I expected for 15hp or so. Perhaps I just need to drive it more and let the computer re-learn. I have only put about 5 miles on it since they were installed.

I have to say, though, that my fears of resonance with these headers have been justified. TONS of resonance. Both a low pitched resonance that is hard to hear and a higher pitched one that is very obvious, especially with the windows down. Sounds a bit like a saxophone. It only happens for a few hundred RPM, but it is pretty frequent and does nto go away after the car is warmed up. Not only that, but now I have a ticking noise at idle, which sounds similar to valve tapping. It is only at idle. I checked all the connections and everything is tight, so either I am missing a slight leak somewhere, or this is another peculiar aspect of the XS headers. I would have to say right now that these headers perform much better as a musical instrument, than as a fun piece of go-fast for the exhaust.

Additionally, I still have received no response from SSAutochrome, after yet another email, regarding the incorrect parts shipped to me from earlier in this thread.

At this point, if my opinion counts, I would vote against the XS headers and look elsewhere. Of course, many respected members on this board have had fabulous luck with them, so who knows? Perhaps their manufacturing tolerances leave something to be desired, which allows for good and bad units to be produced of the same product.

Next up.....Icebox intake. That comes in tomorrow. And they sway bars are here, just waiting for me to order shocks so I can install them together. Good times.

Later!
Old 10-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Punctuation Nazi

The ticking sound you describe makes me think you have a leak somewhere in the header. My brother had a Chevy van with headers on it and it would tick like that, turned out there was a crack in the weld on the header.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by achilles100
Yeah, the headers are correct, and they look great. They go on the car Sunday. Already got the factory manifold gaskets, and stainless steel hardware to replace the garbage they sent with the unit.

As far as whether I ordered the correct item. I believe so. The part number on my invoice matches the part number on their website for the Honda/Acura V6 pulley. It is not a crank pulley, though, according to the picture on their website. I beleive it is a P/S pump pulley. Anybody have any experience with this thing? For $20, it can't be that magical.

I'll post pictures of the car and get a signature for my postings, etc., some day soon. I work most of the day and usually don't have the energy after I get home to screw around taking pictures. Maybe this weekend after the headers go on, I'll dust off the camera.

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Later!

P.S. - Still no response from SS Autochrome.
Where did you get the manifold gaskets and new chrome hardware?
Thinking about buying some today.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DougEFresh
Where did you get the manifold gaskets and new chrome hardware?
Thinking about buying some today.
You dont need manifold gaskets. You reuse the stock ones. And the bolts only need to be grade 8 bolts and you can get them at HD or lowes.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by achilles100
Well, I have my headers in. I have to say, I am not impressed. The throttle response is a bit better, and the car seems very slightly quicker, but not as much as I expected for 15hp or so. Perhaps I just need to drive it more and let the computer re-learn. I have only put about 5 miles on it since they were installed.

I have to say, though, that my fears of resonance with these headers have been justified. TONS of resonance. Both a low pitched resonance that is hard to hear and a higher pitched one that is very obvious, especially with the windows down. Sounds a bit like a saxophone. It only happens for a few hundred RPM, but it is pretty frequent and does nto go away after the car is warmed up. Not only that, but now I have a ticking noise at idle, which sounds similar to valve tapping. It is only at idle. I checked all the connections and everything is tight, so either I am missing a slight leak somewhere, or this is another peculiar aspect of the XS headers. I would have to say right now that these headers perform much better as a musical instrument, than as a fun piece of go-fast for the exhaust.

Additionally, I still have received no response from SSAutochrome, after yet another email, regarding the incorrect parts shipped to me from earlier in this thread.

At this point, if my opinion counts, I would vote against the XS headers and look elsewhere. Of course, many respected members on this board have had fabulous luck with them, so who knows? Perhaps their manufacturing tolerances leave something to be desired, which allows for good and bad units to be produced of the same product.

Next up.....Icebox intake. That comes in tomorrow. And they sway bars are here, just waiting for me to order shocks so I can install them together. Good times.

Later!
I would loosen all the bolts and readjust every thing. Make sure that your hanger for it isnt torn and that it isnt touching any thing.

And as for not being impressed by the power, what were you expecting? A kick in the pants like a turbo or something?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 AM
Cruisin'

I ordered a set last week, they came in just now, and I'm missing a few parts:
have only 1 set of gaskets and rings, and only 6 bolts. (Even I know I will need more than that!).
Have emailed company, waiting for a response.

Had to cancel my appointment to get these installed, due to missing parts.
I also realize that I will need to buy new hardware at Lowes, or Home depot, but it would have been nice to receive all the parts from them.

Any place to get gaskets and rings that would work?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DougEFresh
I ordered a set last week, they came in just now, and I'm missing a few parts:
have only 1 set of gaskets and rings, and only 6 bolts. (Even I know I will need more than that!).
Have emailed company, waiting for a response.

Had to cancel my appointment to get these installed, due to missing parts.
I also realize that I will need to buy new hardware at Lowes, or Home depot, but it would have been nice to receive all the parts from them.

Any place to get gaskets and rings that would work?
My Bad... Looked at the pics on the web site... Got everything in the pics. So, I'm NOT missing anything.
Just cant find NEW hardware (Bolts and Nuts) all of the hardware stores around here do not stock Metric; Lowes, Home Depot..
From reading, I don't want to use the ones that came with the Headers, but I may not have a choice.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Kilos of yayo in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to autozone they got em.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool, another Arizona TL owner...don't feel so alone anymore...lol