Options for modding our seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Options for modding our seats?

Continuing my quest to find out what can and can't be modded on our cars, I've now turned my attention to our seats. Now our seats are wonderful things, but I was wondering what options we had with regards to either modding the existing ones, or replacing them with even better ones.

For example one mod I'd love is cooled seats for those blazing summer months so that I don't burn my arse whenever I get into my car. I've searched for the subject and it's been mentioned over the years here and there on the forum, but I can't find anyone who's ever actually tried it, or really gone into details of why it might be possible.

I read in a very old thread that if you take your car to certain shops, they could add a variety of functions to your seats such as heating or even massaging. I don't know how accurate that post was, but would anyone care to comment?

I don't have much in the way of complaints with regards to heating on our seats, but out of curiousity is there anything that can be done to improve upon the stock stuff? For example giving the passenger side seat the ability to warm the back would be nice, but from what I've read there may be issues with regards to the passenger airbag sensors. If that can't be done, how about kicking up the heating ability of our seats? Tonight I was sitting in a friends 3 series BMW and within seconds those seats were EXTREMELY warm and toasty. Not to say our seats do a bad job when on high, but is there any way to speed up the heating process?

Basically if we could rip out the seats from a newer RL (chosen just because that happens to be something I was reading up on recently... I like that both seats have full mobility functions and have heated and cooled seats), I'd be happy as a pig in mud. I don't know how easy (or possible) it'd be to do that, so I thought we could get a discussion going.

While on the subject, is there ANY way to add functions like heated seats to the rear seats?

So... any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 AM
spaz

you can install heating into any seats and its not even that expensive
you just buy a little kit which comes with all the elements and have to wire it up. can't remember where i've seen the kit but i know people have done it on the rsx forum and integra forums

i have no clue though on cooling
and if you can cram the seat in there and make unique rails for it im pretty sure you could stick whatever seat you wanted in. just not sure how useful that would really be

personally i just want to change all the perforated leather in my car with grey suede(alacantra) and be happy
Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
someone on here did some rear heater seats adn i remember someone talking about doing or did massaging in the rear seats. ppl have done a two tone with the seats.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 AM
spaz

any link or pics of the 2tone interior thats not just aspec?
(sorry for slight hijack)
Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tegkid
any link or pics of the 2tone interior thats not just aspec?
(sorry for slight hijack)
lol, all good.

I wanna do these mods on an A-Spec anyways

So you could install heated seats on the back eh... I wonder if you could put a switch on the back of the console to give whoever's in the back the ability to control that...
Old 11-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best thing you could possibly do to your front seats, is to replace them with the 99-03 CL-S leather wonder buckets!!! I have been planning this for months, but cant find an affordable set in good enough condition to nab up. Those seats kick our seats ass! They also whoop the TL-S seats hands down as well (also an option to swap in)

All you have to work with it some potential rearranging of the wires in the harness. Same clips, with a slightly different arrangement. Mainly due to the memory switch in the CL-S and TL-S.

Anyhow - thats the best and easiest fix to your interest to upgrade
Old 11-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Racer

Well to be honest swapping out the seats is probably the last resort I'd want to turn to only because I want an A-Spec with the 2 toned interior and I'd like to keep the look. If I could get seats to match the interior then my interest would raise quite a bit...

Anyways, other than comfort do the CL-S seats you speak of have any added functions over ours?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vivftp

Anyways, other than comfort do the CL-S seats you speak of have any added functions over ours?

Heeellllllll Yeah!!!! With the quickness and a simple shift of a switch, your moving those bad boys ALLLL the way up to make room for people to get in your car through YOUR door!

bADD Ass!!! (insert sarcasm here)

Other than that... Not so much - they're just way more supple and comfy! Better suited for aggressive driving than any of the other factory options you have.

Get em reupholstered to match your need of two tone!

Last edited by baddbenny; 11-10-2008 at 01:22 AM. Reason: wanted to ;)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:07 AM
.a BUM with SMG...

Wow rear heating seat huh, cool idea. Lexus now starting to put fans on each of front seats, now thats even more cool
Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Racer

Does anyone know how possible it'd be to install a back warmer on the front passenger seat just like the drivers side has?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
400+ WHP Coming Soon!

We need to figure out something to make them LOWER!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ek20a2
We need to figure out something to make them LOWER!
Yes, I agree lower would be good! Sitting in my 02 TL-P I keep it as low as possible, but I keep the back as upright as possible as I find it easier. If I slouch, I'm ok but if I try to sit up the top of my head keeps brushing up against the edge of the sunroof, and the rearview mirror blocks out even more of my field of vision.

Seriously, how interchangable are car seats? If they're not very, then is there a database or something of whatever seats might be compatible?

BTW, anyone know if TL-S seats sit lower than TL-P? Or about the same?